Re: Losing weight

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 24, 2008, 3:09:01 AM12/24/08
Van Chocstraw wrote:

> Why does losing weight cure diabetes in so many?

It is losing the VAT that may possibly result in a cure for type-2
diabetes.

Here, cure (reversal) is defined as coming off of medications:

"The metabolic abnormalities of type 2 diabetes can be reversed
reproducibly by bariatric surgery. By quantifying the major
pathophysiological abnormalities in insulin secretion and insulin
action after surgery, the sequence of events leading to restoration of
normal metabolism can be defined. Liver fat levels fall within days
and normal hepatic insulin sensitivity is restored. Simultaneously,
plasma glucose levels return towards normal. Insulin sensitivity of
muscle remains abnormal, at least over the weeks and months after
bariatric surgery. The effect of the surgery is explicable solely in
terms of energy restriction. By combining this information with
prospective observation of the changes immediately preceding the onset
of type 2 diabetes, a clear picture emerges. Insulin resistance in
muscle, caused by inherited and environmental factors, facilitates the
development of fatty liver during positive energy balance. Once
established, the increased insulin secretion required to maintain
plasma glucose levels will further increase liver fat deposition.
Fatty liver causes resistance to insulin suppression of hepatic
glucose output as well as raised plasma triacylglycerol. Exposure of
beta cells to increased levels of fatty acids, derived from
circulating and locally deposited triacylglycerol, suppresses glucose-
mediated insulin secretion. This is reversible initially, but
eventually becomes permanent. The essential time sequence of the
pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes is now evident. Muscle insulin
resistance determines the rate at which fatty liver progresses, and
ectopic fat deposition in liver and islet underlies the related
dynamic defects of hepatic insulin resistance and beta cell
dysfunction. These defects are capable of dramatic reversal under
hypoenergetic feeding conditions, completely in early diabetes and to
a worthwhile extent in more established disease."

Source:

"Pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes: tracing the reverse route from cure
to cause."

Diabetologia. 2008 Oct;51(10):1781-9. Epub 2008 Aug 26.

Link to full text:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/j088876181l3qu55/

> Does the fat squeeze
> the pancreas or does insulin resistance go away or just what is the story?

Insulin resistance goes away when the VAT (visceral adipose tissue aka
ectopic fat) goes away:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/3558812d72ab4e17?

May you and other dear neighbors, friends, and brethren have a
blessedly wonderful celebration of the birth of our LORD Jesus Christ
as our Messiah, the Son of Man ...

... by being hungrier:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/f891e617d10bd689?

Hunger is wonderful ! ! !

It's how we know the answer to the question "What does Jesus
want?" (WDJW):

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/f43db72a7c5c1da0?

Yes, hunger is our knowledge of good versus evil that Adam and Eve
paid for with their and our immortal lives:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/52a3db8576495806?

"Blessed are you who hunger NOW...

... for you will be satisfied." -- LORD Jesus Christ (Luke 6:21)

Amen.

Here is a Spirit-guided exegesis of Luke 6:21 given in hopes of
promoting much greater understanding:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/cc2aa8f8a4d41360?

Be hungrier, which is truly healthier:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/991d4e30704307e7?

Marana tha

Prayerfully in the awesome name of our Messiah, LORD Jesus Christ,

Andrew <><
--
"... no one can say 'Jesus is LORD' except by the Holy Spirit." (1 Cor
12:3)

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/035c93540862751c?

What does Jesus want (WDJW) ?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.cardiology/msg/c805a3fe6c8c39c9?

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Dec 24, 2008, 3:53:52 AM12/24/08
convicted neighbor Màck©® wrote:
> Van Chocstraw <boobooil...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> >Why does losing weight cure diabetes in so many? Does the fat squeeze

> >the pancreas or does insulin resistance go away or just what is the story?
>
> losing weight does not cure diabetes.

Losing the VAT, however, may possibly result in a cure for type-2
diabetes:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.support.diabetes/msg/50f6977515c6742c?