toroidal n-queens problem

he...@magenta.ira.uka.de

May 8, 1990, 11:46:43 AM5/8/90

For all n<18 there is a solution for the toroidal n-queens problem
if and only if n mod 6 in {1,5} .

For all n with n mod 6 in {1,5} there is a simple solution:
The queens are placed diagonally in a "knight`s move distance".

Now the question:
Is there any solution known for n with n mod 6 not in {1,5} ??!

Remember the classical n-queens problem has a solution for any n>3.

Heinz Braun (e-mail: br...@ira.uka.de)

Richard Lee

May 8, 1990, 2:36:39 PM5/8/90

Heinz Braun asks:

Answer:

There is NO toroidal solution for n mod 6 not in {1,5}. There are
several independent proofs of this in the literature.

Chandra, A: "Independent Permutations, as Related to a Problem of Moser
and a Theorem of Polya"; in _Journal of Combinatorial Theory_, (A) 16
(1974), p. 111-120.

Hedayat, A: "A Complete Solution to the Existence and Nonexistence of
Knut Vik Designs and Orthogonal Knut Vik Designs"; in _Journal of
Combinatorial Theory_, (A) 22 (1977), p. 331-337.

Klove, T: "The Modular n-Queen Problem:; in _Discrete Mathematics_, 19
(1977), p. 289-291.

Lee, R: _Chessboard Colorings and an Extension of Latin Squares_; MS
Thesis, Univ. of Ill., Urbana, Jul. 1978.

Polya, G: "Uber die 'doppelt-periodischen' Losungen des n-Damen
Problems"; in W. Ahrens _Mathematische Unterhaltungen und Spiele_,
p. 364-374, Tuebner, Leipzig, 1918.

Shapiro, H: _Theoretical Limitations on the Use of Parallel Memories_;
PhD Thesis, Univ. of Ill., Urbana, Dec. 1975.

--
RICHARD LEE rl...@ads.com or ...!{sri-spam | ames}!zodiac!rlee
415-960-7300 ADS, 1500 Plymouth St., Mtn. View CA 94043-1230

Scott Amspoker

May 8, 1990, 5:42:04 PM5/8/90
In article <RLEE.90M...@weaver.ads.com> rl...@weaver.ads.com (Richard Lee) writes:
>Heinz Braun asks:
>
> For all n<18 there is a solution for the toroidal n-queens problem
> if and only if n mod 6 in {1,5} .

>Answer:

>There is NO toroidal solution for n mod 6 not in {1,5}. There are
>several independent proofs of this in the literature.

Folks, I feel *really* stupid - but I don't understand the problem.
I'm familiar with the traditional n-queens problem but not the
"toroidal" version. What special restrictions apply here?

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

Ilan Vardi

May 8, 1990, 8:21:35 PM5/8/90

For n mod 6 not in {1,5} the maximum number of toroidal queens is n-1 or
n-2 which is proved in a American Math Monthly problem ``superqueens''
with the solution appearing in 1988 or 1989.

For the general queens problem, Igor Rivin and I found the lower bound
2^{n/4} for almost all n for the number of solutions.

There is also Zabih's theorem: The n-queens problem has a solution for n=1.