"HILBERT-EINSTEIN PRIORITY DISPUTE"

Christopher Jon Bjerknes

Sep 28, 2002, 9:48:17 PM9/28/02
In 1997, an article appeared in the journal _Science_ claiming, in
contradiction to the "commonly accepted view,"* that Hilbert
anticipated Einstein, "A close analysis of archival material reveals
that Hilbert did not anticipate Einstein."**

This article relies upon "Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Goettingen (Handschriftenabteilung), Cod. Ms. D. Hilbert 634."

Can anyone find mention in this _Science_ article of the fact that
this document is incomplete, in that a sheet has been mutilated at
some point in the paper's (printer's proofs of David Hilbert's article
"Die Grundlagen der Physik, (Erste Mitteilung.) Vorgelegt in der
Sitzung vom 20. November 1915.", _Nachrichten von der Königlichen
Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen.
Mathematisch-physikalische Klasse_, (1915), pp. 395-407.) history to
remove the upper printed portion of printed pages 7 and 8, which
contained equation (17)? Can anyone find mention in this _Science_
article of a statement of the provenance of this document? Can anyone
point me to any reference in any literature to the fact that this
document is incomplete?

Thank You!
Christopher Jon Bjerknes

* L. Corry, J. Renn, J. Stachel, "Belated Decision in the
Hilbert-Einstein Priority Dispute", _Science_, Volume 278, (14
November 1997), pp. 1270-1273, at 1270.

** _ibid_.

P.S. Would anyone argue with the following translation from D.
Hilbert, "Die Grundlagen der Physik, (Erste Mitteilung.) Vorgelegt in
der Sitzung vom 20. November 1915.", _Nachrichten von der Königlichen
Gesellschaft der Wissenschaften zu Göttingen.
Mathematisch-physikalische Klasse_, (1915), pp. 395-407, at 405, which
states in the relevant part:

"It appears to me that the differential equations of gravitation
arrived at in this way are in agreement with those of Einstein in his
later papers1) setting forth the broad theory of general relativity."

"Die so zu Stande kommenden Differentialgleichungen der Gravitation
sind, wie mir scheint, mit der von Einstein in seinen späteren
Abhandlungen1) aufgestellten großzügigen Theorie der allgemeinen
Relativität im Einklang."

Dan Kotlow

Sep 29, 2002, 4:08:19 AM9/29/02
On 28 Sep 2002 18:48:17 -0700, bjerk...@yahoo.com (Christopher Jon
Bjerknes) wrote:

I think it's like so:

The differential equations of gravitation that arise in this way are,
so it seems to me, in accord with the ambitious Theory of General
Relativity put forward by Einstein in his later papers.

/dan

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Sep 29, 2002, 8:35:34 PM9/29/02
In <fd29af27.02092...@posting.google.com>, on 09/28/2002
at 06:48 PM, bjerk...@yahoo.com (Christopher Jon Bjerknes) said:

>Newsgroups:
>sci.physics,sci.physics.relativity,sci.math,soc.history.science

What does this have to do with Mathematics?

Atid/2, Team OS/2, Team PL/I

Any unsolicited commercial junk E-mail will be subject to legal
action. I reserve the right to publicly post or ridicule any
abusive E-mail.

I mangled my E-mail address to foil automated spammers; reply to
reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

Christopher Jon Bjerknes

Oct 3, 2002, 12:44:52 PM10/3/02
> "It appears to me that the differential equations of gravitation
> arrived at in this way are in agreement with those of Einstein in his
> later papers1) setting forth the broad theory of general relativity."
>
> "Die so zu Stande kommenden Differentialgleichungen der Gravitation
> sind, wie mir scheint, mit der von Einstein in seinen späteren
> Abhandlungen1) aufgestellten großzügigen Theorie der allgemeinen
> Relativität im Einklang."

In order to more accurately capture Hilbert's meaning in the English,
I'm changing "later" to "subsequent":

"It appears to me that the differential equations of gravitation
arrived at in this way are in agreement with those of Einstein in his

subsequent papers1) setting forth the broad theory of general
relativity."

Christopher Jon Bjerknes

Terry Wilder

Oct 4, 2002, 4:27:46 AM10/4/02
I believe the general consensus, is that Hilbert cleaned
up(Mathematically speaking) Einsteins work up to that point.
"Christopher Jon Bjerknes" <bjerk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message