heat sink for gas turbine exhaust

Adam Chapman

Dec 1, 2006, 6:34:12 PM12/1/06

I am looking into the feasibility of using heat-absorbing materials to
cool the gasses leaving an engine of a stealthy aircraft as part of a
design project.

The heat sink would need to have high thermal conductivity and a large
specific heat capacity. This would allow a quick transfer of heat
energy from the exhaust gases to the conducting material.

Does anybody know which materials would be good to use or where to find
them on the internet?

Because its an aircraft, low density materals are also favorable.

Thanks in advanve for any help,
Adam

Uncle Al

Dec 1, 2006, 8:31:51 PM12/1/06

You in fact want the highest material density of the lowest average
molecular weight with the maximum number of molecular degrees of
freedom and all sorts of strong interactions in the solid and liquid -
or is tankage a free variable? Incredibly stupid idea - yer gonna
suck up how many gigajoules/hour? Mix in cold bypass air. Cool the
exhaust plume by running it through another turbine to extract work.

Melt water ice; melt lithium hydride - among the highest Cp and
/_\H(fusion) per weight. Hell, melt and decompose lithium hydride,
burn the hydrogen as fuel, bring back the molten lithium. Spraying in
water with ~600 cal/g /_\H(vap) starting from cold liquid is also
stupid. Good thermodynamics, crappy stealth with the contrail.

After all that thermo bullshit - I'll detect your stealth whatever by
its concentrated CO2 + H20 plume using laser fluorescence.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Autymn D. C.

Dec 2, 2006, 9:04:48 AM12/2/06
Adam Chapman wrote:
> I am looking into the feasibility of using heat-absorbing materials to
> cool the gasses leaving an engine of a stealthy aircraft as part of a
> design project.

as a student? Does your project take ift or a budget?

> The heat sink would need to have high thermal conductivity and a large
> specific heat capacity. This would allow a quick transfer of heat
> energy from the exhaust gases to the conducting material.
>
> Does anybody know which materials would be good to use or where to find
> them on the internet?
>
> Because its an aircraft, low density materals are also favorable.

<http://egroups.com/group/free_energy/msearch?query=Cool+Chips>
#17010: "What's smaller and lighter and faster and stiffer than
degenerate helium?"
#18147: "diodes that convert waste heat into electricity"

Line the regenerator with a 5-kW/cm^2 convectrix. It yae sits there
and flushes like mead! It's magic. Soak the leftover heat into solid
afterburner/afterchiller haloxupèrxènates. If you can't afford it,
blend in krypton (pfft--what a mangled spelling/speakking; should be
crupton). XeO3 and XeO4 are cool, neat :D solids that kick kloriata's
butt as a elèctric trebuchet. As regenerative laser dihodes are alive
now, use those on the last hull to pump the heat into the MW and UV for
stray charges in the former reaction and in the loft to pick up.

-Aut