Origin of Burek/Börek/Bierek/Pirogi

Jugoslav Dujic

Dec 9, 2005, 6:03:58 AM12/9/05
Discussion on this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Burek#Proposed_Merge

triggered the issue of origin of Turkish Börek/Eastern
European Bierek/Russian Pirogi. It's likely that these words
are cognates and originate from some PIE word, but I'd like
to hear some references. Sci.lang archives search yielded only

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.lang/browse_thread/thread/17153623a3f70390/bca0d28dfa885c9e?lnk=st&q=b%C3%B6rek+group%3Asci.lang.*&rnum=3&hl=en#bca0d28dfa885c9e

and overall Google search also gave few hints, but nothing
definitive.

--
Jugoslav
___________

Please reply to the newsgroup.
You can find my real e-mail on my home page above.

aslans...@yahoo.com

Dec 9, 2005, 6:35:24 AM12/9/05
Jugoslav Dujic yazdi:

> Discussion on this Wikipedia article:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Burek#Proposed_Merge
>
> triggered the issue of origin of Turkish Börek/Eastern
> European Bierek/Russian Pirogi. It's likely that these words
> are cognates and originate from some PIE word, but I'd like
> to hear some references. Sci.lang archives search yielded only

Turkish has a verb meaning to cook lightly
bört-mek

It suggest that there once was a verb (though not listed in the
dictionary) like
bör-mek

And it suggests that it could be a derivation of that verb.
bör-ek

Yusuf B Gursey

Dec 9, 2005, 5:33:28 PM12/9/05

Jugoslav Dujic wrote:
> Discussion on this Wikipedia article:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Burek#Proposed_Merge
>
> triggered the issue of origin of Turkish Börek/Eastern
> European Bierek/Russian Pirogi. It's likely that these words
> are cognates and originate from some PIE word, but I'd like
> to hear some references. Sci.lang archives search yielded only
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.lang/browse_thread/thread/17153623a3f70390/bca0d28dfa885c9e?lnk=st&q=b%C3%B6rek+group%3Asci.lang.*&rnum=3&hl=en#bca0d28dfa885c9e

disregard that post.

> and overall Google search also gave few hints, but nothing
> definitive.

the post by "aslanski2" is reasonable.

Doerfer TMEN #781 tentatively regards it as turkic.

it is found in most turkic languages.

it is a loanword from turkish in balkan languages, as well as in
persian (bu:rak)

the article references Vasmer who regards it a loan from other turkic
languages
in russian etc.

turkish bo"rt= "to cook lightly" or "to rise up and swell with water"
in eastern turkic.

also proposed is mongolian bu"ru"= "to be covered" is mentioend by some
others,
there is also a similar turkic verb.