And now the game : Find the differences ! (Was: Grapheus/Faucounau)

1 view

grapheus

Aug 18, 2004, 3:47:24 PM8/18/04
As our NEW SHERLOCK HOLMES, Rolleston, has SUPERBLY played our last
Summer-game, I propose him to play now our new game : "find the
differences!"

Ready ? GO !
1)- grapheus writes always his name with a little g- . J.Faucounau
signs always his name with initial capital letters.
2)- grapheus uses a lot of words written in CAPITALS. J.F. about ten
times less.
3)- grapheus uses a lot of !... and ?... . J.F. about eleven times
less.
4)- grapheus' English is generally better than J.F.'s
5)- J.F. is about 80 years old. grapheus is much younger.
6)- J.F. doesn't like very much jokes. grapheus LOVES them.

Well, SUPER SHERLOCK HOLMES, we are eagerly waiting for your
conclusions !..

grapheus

Rolleston

Aug 18, 2004, 4:35:39 PM8/18/04
grapheus wrote:
>Ready ? GO !
>1)- grapheus writes always his name with a little g- . J.Faucounau
>signs always his name with initial capital letters.

So what?

Suppose I wanted to fool you. I'd try to change things a little,
wouldn't I? However, despite my best efforts, I'd find myself
doing some of the same old things I used to. See below.

>2)- grapheus uses a lot of words written in CAPITALS. J.F. about ten

"There are striking parallels between Jean Faucounau's e-mails
to me and your replies to me: both make the same excessive
use of capitals" [Franz Gnaedinger, http://tinyurl.com/6aqwe]

>3)- grapheus uses a lot of !... and ?... . J.F. about eleven times
>less.

Go on, tell us what proportion of people have have written
"?.." and "!.." at all?

>4)- grapheus' English is generally better than J.F.'s

Really? That's hard to believe.

>5)- J.F. is about 80 years old. grapheus is much younger.

Prove it.

>6)- J.F. doesn't like very much jokes. grapheus LOVES them.

Prove it.

R.

Mindy Preston

Aug 18, 2004, 4:53:44 PM8/18/04
Goodness gracious, it seems to me that if I were attempting to establish
myself as an independent entity, I'd use the first person. "grapheus
does this", "J.F. does this" is exactly the usage I'd choose were I
pairing two of my pseudonyms against each other.

-Mindy

Harlan Messinger

Aug 18, 2004, 6:11:13 PM8/18/04

"grapheus" <grap...@www.com> wrote in message

> As our NEW SHERLOCK HOLMES, Rolleston, has SUPERBLY played our last
> Summer-game, I propose him to play now our new game : "find the
> differences!"
>
> Ready ? GO !
> 1)- grapheus writes always his name with a little g- . J.Faucounau
> signs always his name with initial capital letters.
> 2)- grapheus uses a lot of words written in CAPITALS. J.F. about ten
> times less.

And I've never seen you given a justification for it or change your behavior
after receiving comments on it. *Now* you have given us a possible
justification: You could be doing it precisely to lead everyone to think
that you'r enot Faucounau.

Rolleston

Aug 18, 2004, 7:24:58 PM8/18/04
:

>> 2)- grapheus uses a lot of words written in CAPITALS. J.F. about ten
>> times less.
>
>And I've never seen you given a justification for it or change your behavior
>after receiving comments on it. *Now* you have given us a possible
>justification: You could be doing it precisely to lead everyone to think
>that you'r enot Faucounau.

Sorry to disappoint you :)

"a proto-Ionic GREEK LANGUAGE and a SYLLABARY of an ARCHAIC TYPE"

etc. etc. etc.: http://www.anistor.co.hol.gr/english/enback/v002.htm

Horrible similarities, e.g., "the HISTORY of the GREEKS", which is
also in this message written by grapheus: http://tinyurl.com/6gx3v

Of course, there huge differences, too. For example, Grapheus writes
"CAN THIS be due to mere CHANCE ?.." whereas JF writes "What was
the probability of finding BY MERE CHANCE [...]". Likewise, JF writes
"I did not publish the details of the DECIPHERING METHOD", but our
friend grapheus shouts "he has explained his DECIPHERING METHOD".
Again, grapheus blurts out "There is ONLY ONE WAY to reconstruct
the scribe's work", which is shockingly unlike JF's immortal words
"there is ONLY ONE WAY to reconstitute the movements of the printer".

Oh, I don't suppose you noticed this in JF's article: "On July 3d" ?

Funny that. Now, where have I seen that before?

...scratches head...

Ah, by Jove, that's it!

grapheus: 3d person
grapheus: october 3d
grapheus: the 3d of July 1908

R.

Jacques Guy

Aug 19, 2004, 1:14:11 PM8/19/04
Rolleston wrote:

> Sorry to disappoint you :)

> "a proto-Ionic GREEK LANGUAGE and a SYLLABARY of an ARCHAIC TYPE"

> etc. etc. etc.: http://www.anistor.co.hol.gr/english/enback/v002.htm

Not only does this thread lead to ye olde science of textual
criticism, but you stumble across gems, once in a while.

Look what I found:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~artsfx/notes3.html

Pay special attention to the "enhanced image of some
Carian script". I wonder what the original was,
before enhancement.

> Oh, I don't suppose you noticed this in JF's article: "On July 3d" ?

> Funny that. Now, where have I seen that before?

On the eve of July 4h?

Harlan Messinger

Aug 18, 2004, 9:33:43 PM8/18/04
Rolleston <roll...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Horrible similarities, e.g., "the HISTORY of the GREEKS", which is
>also in this message written by grapheus: http://tinyurl.com/6gx3v
>
>Of course, there huge differences, too. For example, Grapheus writes
>"CAN THIS be due to mere CHANCE ?.." whereas JF writes "What was
>the probability of finding BY MERE CHANCE [...]". Likewise, JF writes
>"I did not publish the details of the DECIPHERING METHOD", but our
>friend grapheus shouts "he has explained his DECIPHERING METHOD".
>Again, grapheus blurts out "There is ONLY ONE WAY to reconstruct
>the scribe's work", which is shockingly unlike JF's immortal words
>"there is ONLY ONE WAY to reconstitute the movements of the printer".
>
>Oh, I don't suppose you noticed this in JF's article: "On July 3d" ?
>
>Funny that. Now, where have I seen that before?
>
>...scratches head...
>
>Ah, by Jove, that's it!
>
>grapheus: 3d person
>grapheus: october 3d
>grapheus: the 3d of July 1908

A horrifying thought has come to me. Could the odd patterns of
all-caps words be a secret terrorist encryption scheme?

--
Harlan Messinger
Remove the first dot from my e-mail address.

grapheus

Aug 19, 2004, 3:27:45 AM8/19/04
Rolleston <roll...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<34n7i097iclp0m7hd...@4ax.com>...

Never heard about somebody correcting the draft of a friend,
Rollestone ?...
This idea is probably too intelligent and natural for crossing your
DOGMATIC mind, right ?..
GO on !.. Try again !.. You will win the prize of the BEST DOGMATIC
scholar !..

grapheus

Richard Herring

Aug 19, 2004, 5:51:36 AM8/19/04
In message <2oi2g2F...@uni-berlin.de>, Harlan Messinger
<h.mes...@comcast.net> writes
"you'r e not" ? Are you Faucounau too?

--
Richard Herring

Rolleston

Aug 19, 2004, 9:19:13 AM8/19/04
Jacques Guy wrote:
[...]

>Look what I found:
>
>http://www-personal.umich.edu/~artsfx/notes3.html
>

>Pay special attention to the "enhanced image of some
>Carian script". I wonder what the original was,
>before enhancement.

Applying the Faucounau method, we arrive at:

RAALM ADRUD3 BBYERNMU NICH 1

Proto-moronic? What on earth can this mean?

R.

Rolleston

Aug 19, 2004, 9:19:49 AM8/19/04
Richard Herring wrote:
[...]

>"you'r e not" ? Are you Faucounau too?

Oh, we all are. Didn't you know?

R.

Rolleston

Aug 19, 2004, 9:43:12 AM8/19/04
Harlan Messinger wrote:
[...]

>A horrifying thought has come to me. Could the odd patterns of
>all-caps words be a secret terrorist encryption scheme?

And the Phaistos Disk a wicked device made to ensnare
the souls of the freedom loving peoples of the world?

R.

Jacques Guy

Aug 20, 2004, 2:51:50 AM8/20/04
Rolleston wrote:

> Applying the Faucounau method, we arrive at:
>
> RAALM ADRUD3 BBYERNMU NICH 1

> Proto-moronic? What on earth can this mean?

You want unadulterated nonsense? I'll give you
unadulterated nonsense!

http://www.equinox-project.com/epigraphy.htm

Tom McDonald

Aug 19, 2004, 1:59:21 PM8/19/04
Jacques Guy wrote:

Jacques,

It's mostly pretty funny. However, there is one report that
seems interesting and isn't flagrantly foolish. It's _A Precise
Petroglyph Equinox Marker in Eastern California_ by Alan Gillespie.

http://www.equinox-project.com/v23071.htm

This struck me as particularly interesting, as opposed to the
vast leaps of logic in the other papers:

"It is of interest that the calendrical petroglyphs were first
investigated as a result of Fell's epigraphic interpretation of
the site. However, since INY272 fits well within the Desert
Archaic styles described elsewhere, findings cannot be used to
verify all of Fell's conclusions. Although it is best to leave
open for now the question of who actually constructed this
remarkable site, progenitors of the people who lived there at
the time of Anglo contact are viable candidates. The Paiute and
Shoshone people who lived and still live near Swansea have not
been credited with a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy by
their ethnographers. Information from INY272 suggests that this
view may be naive."

It's too bad that the epigraphic movement was founded and
guided by Fell and his supporters. Had folks like Gillespie,
McGlone and their cohorts been the originators of the work, I
think we'd have been better served.

However, of course, it's easier to make a big public splash
using Fell's more slapdash and spectacular style than with
Gillespie's drier, more academic style.

--
Tom McDonald

Doug Weller

Aug 19, 2004, 5:38:22 PM8/19/04
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:59:21 -0500, Tom McDonald wrote:

> It's mostly pretty funny. However, there is one report that
> seems interesting and isn't flagrantly foolish. It's _A Precise
> Petroglyph Equinox Marker in Eastern California_ by Alan Gillespie.
>
> http://www.equinox-project.com/v23071.htm
>
> This struck me as particularly interesting, as opposed to the
> vast leaps of logic in the other papers:
>
> "It is of interest that the calendrical petroglyphs were first
> investigated as a result of Fell's epigraphic interpretation of
> the site. However, since INY272 fits well within the Desert
> Archaic styles described elsewhere, findings cannot be used to
> verify all of Fell's conclusions. Although it is best to leave
> open for now the question of who actually constructed this
> remarkable site, progenitors of the people who lived there at
> the time of Anglo contact are viable candidates. The Paiute and
> Shoshone people who lived and still live near Swansea have not
> been credited with a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy by
> their ethnographers. Information from INY272 suggests that this
> view may be naive."
>
> It's too bad that the epigraphic movement was founded and
> guided by Fell and his supporters. Had folks like Gillespie,
> McGlone and their cohorts been the originators of the work, I
> think we'd have been better served.

The guy who runs the website is very, very much a True Believer, a
conspiracy theorist, a hater and an all around bad hat.
A quote from him: "The work at Inyo could only have been done by an
educated Celt of the class of Druid."
[SNIP]
Doug

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 19, 2004, 6:27:19 PM8/19/04

Made, you mean, by evilDOers?
--
Peter T. Daniels gram...@att.net

Tom McDonald

Aug 19, 2004, 9:06:56 PM8/19/04
Doug Weller wrote:

Doug,

That's why I was struck by Gillespie's paper. While he appears
to keep his mind more open than I think reasonable, he also
doesn't seem to be trying to force a Fellian interpretation
either.

--
Tom McDonald

Jacques Guy

Aug 20, 2004, 3:38:59 PM8/20/04
Tom McDonald wrote:
> However, there is one report that
> seems interesting and isn't flagrantly foolish. It's _A Precise
> Petroglyph Equinox Marker in Eastern California_ by Alan Gillespie.

> http://www.equinox-project.com/v23071.htm

> This struck me as particularly interesting, as opposed to the
> vast leaps of logic in the other papers

Yes, you can get it all wrong most of the times, but it is
difficult to get it all wrong all of the times.

> The Paiute and
> Shoshone people who lived and still live near Swansea have not
> been credited with a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy by
> their ethnographers.

You don't need a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.
Just sharp eyes, patient observation, and the ability
to rub two brain cells together and get a spark instead
of a torrent of drivel. Have a read of "How the
Shaman Stole the Moon" by William Calvin (whom I otherwise
hold as a consumate snake-oil merchant).

> However, of course, it's easier to make a big public splash
> using Fell's more slapdash and spectacular style than with
> Gillespie's drier, more academic style.

You know how it is rumoured to go in the Navy: if it moves,
salute it; if it doesn't, paint it.

With Fell it was a bit more sophisticated:

If it looks like chicken's scratchings, it is writing.
If it doesn't, it _is_ writing.
If it is writing, decipher it.

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 20, 2004, 7:57:52 AM8/20/04
Jacques Guy wrote:

> Tom McDonald wrote:

> > The Paiute and
> > Shoshone people who lived and still live near Swansea have not
> > been credited with a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy by
> > their ethnographers.
>
> You don't need a sophisticated knowledge of astronomy.
> Just sharp eyes, patient observation, and the ability
> to rub two brain cells together and get a spark instead
> of a torrent of drivel. Have a read of "How the
> Shaman Stole the Moon" by William Calvin (whom I otherwise
> hold as a consumate snake-oil merchant).

And that was the only one of his (pre-Bickerton) books that I found
unreadable! *The River That Flows Uphill* is superb.

(His book with Bickerton is unreadable from the get-go.)

((What is this word "get-go"?))

Jacques Guy

Aug 21, 2004, 1:08:01 AM8/21/04
Peter T. Daniels wrote:

> (His book with Bickerton is unreadable from the get-go.)

It's GREAT !!! (You mean "Lingua ex Machina" don't you?)
And fancy that they wrote that during a fully sponsored
junket at Villa Serbelloni in some fancy Italian resort.
Serbelloni? Doesn't that sound like "Cervelloni"
("eggheads") to you? It does to me. And the linguistics
appendix: "In this appendix I shall try to show that the core
phenomena explained by a Chomskyan universal grammar
can be derived directly from the exaptation of a social
calculus, plus a theta-role hierarchy, the Baldwin effects
of the exaptation, and a procedure for joining meaningful
units". (provided you can find any, of course).
Isn't that great? And it goes on and on for... 30 pages!

Wow... this book is a gem. Monty Python, eat your
heart out.

Hagen

Aug 20, 2004, 1:37:02 PM8/20/04
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:51:36 +0100, Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]>
wrote:

So you are all manifolds of Faucounau (like Dolly the sheep) invented
for the only purpose to irritate me from promoting the Minoan
calendar, GRRRR I had my suspicions; My discovery so approximating
the elementary!

Hagen

Aug 20, 2004, 1:47:23 PM8/20/04

ABC is not always anonymous to a spelling book.
A+B+C= 365: a calendar!

http://home.gvdnet.dk/~hagen/set.htm

Hagen

Hagen

Aug 20, 2004, 2:01:33 PM8/20/04

Confused? I guess I meant synonymous!

Paul J Kriha

Aug 21, 2004, 6:03:24 AM8/21/04

Peter T. Daniels <gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Get on your marks.....Go?
Just guessing.

Paul JK

Peter T. Daniels

Aug 21, 2004, 8:09:59 AM8/21/04
Paul J Kriha wrote:

> > ((What is this word "get-go"?))
>
> Get on your marks.....Go?
> Just guessing.

The phrasing used 40-odd years ago was "On your marks, get set, go!" but
I don't see how it could become "the get-go."

Brian M. Scott

Aug 21, 2004, 8:20:01 AM8/21/04
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 22:03:24 +1200, Paul J Kriha
<paul.nos...@paradise.net.nz> wrote in
<news:x5FVc.4351$zS6.4...@news02.tsnz.net> in
sci.lang,sci.archaeology:

> Peter T. Daniels <gram...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

[...]

>> ((What is this word "get-go"?))

> Get on your marks.....Go?
> Just guessing.

<http://www.word-detective.com/032404.html> says:

The phrase first appeared in the mid-1960s in
African-American slang, and "get-go" is simply
a transformation of the verbal phrase "get going"
into a noun form meaning "the starting point,
the beginning." Subsequent mutations include
"from the git-go" and "from the get (or git)."

Brian