Happy New Year !

Yngve

Jan 3, 2002, 6:55:01 AM1/3/02

Jan 3, 2002, 6:58:13 PM1/3/02

> 2002
> 王午之歳
> 平成14年
>
> 頌春
>
> Happy New Year !
>
> 長錦
> 湖山

王 of 王午之歳, you misread, I think.
The first stroke of 王 must be not ichi(kanji) but no(katakana)
and is pronounced as "jin". This "jin" letter is used only to represent
years.
Japanese or Chinese calendar system has what is called "eto(kunyomi)"or
"kanshi(onyomi)=jikkan-juunishi(10kan-12shi)", in which 60 names circurate.
So the last 王午(jinngo) year was 1942.
Now you can consult a kanwa-jiten by jin(which resembles 王), uma(or go
=horse), jikkan, juunishi, and eto(kannsi).
An encyclopedia might be more convenient to study the calendar system.

春 of 頌春 means shin-shun(new spring) = shin-nen(new year).

The letters of the seal represent Sensei's sense of beauty, idea, way of
life,
name etc., and in this case, her idal beauty, I guess.
When you watch Oriental arts( painting and calligraphy), you will never fail
to find some seals(from 1 to 4, small or large) on them.

I would be much obliged if you, or anyone else who read this, would correct
any errors or inappropriate usage.

Best regards,
YUGETA

Yngve

Jan 4, 2002, 6:54:43 AM1/4/02
"Seiichi Yugeta" <yuge...@bronze.ocn.ne.jp> wrote in message

> 王 of 王午之歳, you misread, I think.
Yes, I did.
Thank you for reminding me about the
ten "heavenly stems"
they had completely fallen out of my memory
while reading the card.壬午之歳

> The letters of the seal represent Sensei's sense of beauty, idea, way
of
> life,
> name etc., and in this case, her idal beauty, I guess.
> When you watch Oriental arts( painting and calligraphy), you will
never fail
> to find some seals(from 1 to 4, small or large) on them.

Maybe it is relevant,
I forgot to tell that
under the seal, the Sensei's name
was printed in roomaji.
My knowledge of Japanese culture is very scanty,
so please explain. I had always imagined that
a hanko or any "seal" had characters directly
representing the name of the bearer.
But may it also be a more "indirect" representation,
like in this case where the seal represents
the Sensei but not by just writing her name?
Are such seals used as a hanko in
a banks and similar?

Seiichi Yugeta

Jan 4, 2002, 9:43:39 AM1/4/02

"Yngve" <Yng...@Hotmail.com> wrote in message

> a hanko or any "seal" had characters directly
> representing the name of the bearer.
> But may it also be a more "indirect" representation,
> like in this case where the seal represents
> the Sensei but not by just writing her name?
> Are such seals used as a hanko in
> a banks and similar?

In case of a ginkou-in(the seal used in a bank account),
full names or family names are used, and
we have to register it to our bank in advance,
and use it along with our sign.
Jitu-in(the most important seal to identify us) is registered
in the municipal office, and when we make some imporatant
trade, we use it with the certificate of the office.
Usual hannkos(mitome-in) are used in place of sign(older
people might use hankos more often :-).

However, in case of your new year card, they are used for
art's sake, for example, to create beautiful space.
So, characters of in(seal)s are free to some extent.
For example, (sign) Anne
(seal) Green Gables
Other than names, names of study rooms or houses( which
are usually elegantly named), quotations from poems, lucky
characters, pictures, etc. are used.
Show me your seal, and I'll tell you what you are. :-)

By the way, the way of making(carving) in(seal)s is an
established field of art as well as painting and calligraphy,
and called "tenkoku".Most teachers of calligraphy likes
tenkoku, and sometimes design and carve ins themselves.
If you ask your teacher, she will gladly tell you about it.

Addition
2002=heisei 14(juuyo)nen=jingonotoshi
Shoushun(Happy new year)
Choukin-kozan( or tokosinae-ni nisiki-nasu umiyama)

Best regards,
YUGETA

Ken Masuyama

Jan 6, 2002, 8:28:56 AM1/6/02
"Seiichi Yugeta" <yuge...@bronze.ocn.ne.jp> writes:

> The letters of the seal represent Sensei's sense of beauty, idea, way of
> life,
> name etc., and in this case, her idal beauty, I guess.
> When you watch Oriental arts( painting and calligraphy), you will never fail
> to find some seals(from 1 to 4, small or large) on them.

Or if it is a picture postcard, it might just mean "lakes and
mountains of 長錦 (place name, whereever it is)".

--
massangeana (Ken Masuyama)

Seiichi Yugeta

Jan 6, 2002, 2:34:57 PM1/6/02

"Ken Masuyama" <ez3k...@asahi-net.or.jp> wrote in message
To tell the truth, nothing occured to me except "Nisiki ori-nasu choutei-ni,
kurureba noboru oboro-duki", when I came across "choukin".
So I interpreted it forcedly. If Choukin is a place name, it can be
naturally
interpreted, though I don't know where it is.

Thank you,
YUGETA