Tropical Cyclone Weekly Summary #245 (April 7 - 14, 1996)

Jack Beven

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

This report is compiled from warnings issued by:
National Hurricane Center Central Pacific Hurricane Center
Naval Pacific Meteor./Ocean. Center Fiji Meteorological Service
Meteorological Service of New Zealand Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Japanese Meteorological Agency Bureau of Meteorology, Australia
Philippine Meteorological Service Royal Observatory of Hong Kong
Indian Meteorological Department Reunion Meteorological Service
Mauritius Meteorological Service
(others may be added as they become available)

Author's Notes: I've got a few more announcements this week. First, I
would like to thank Roger Edwards of the Storm Prediction Center for keeping
track of the tropical cyclones while I was on vacation. Second, I extend
special thanks to Chip Guard of the University of Guam and Gary Foley of the
Bureau of Meteorology, Australia for passing along details on Tropical
Cyclone Olivia.

Lastly, and most importantly, I made a goof in the URL for the new IWW
summary archive site. The correct URL is:

http://groundhog.sprl.umich.edu/iww/tropics

I would like to extend special thanks to Bill Trotter, Buddy Potts, and
Steve Ambrose of the IWW for allowing me to store my summaries on their site,
and I extend my apologies for any trouble the incorrect address caused.

WEEKLY TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY #245 APRIL 7 - 14, 1996

North Atlantic Basin: No tropical cyclones.

Eastern North Pacific Basin (E of 140 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

Central North Pacific Basin (180 Deg. W to 140 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

Western North Pacific Basin (W of 180 Deg.):

Tropical Storm Ann: At the start of the summary period, Ann was moving
west toward the central Philippine Islands with 35 kt winds. Ann moved west
into the Central Philippines on 8 April as it reached a peak intensity of
40 kt. The system meandered through the central Philippines on 9 April as it
weakened into a depression. It dissipated later that day near 12N 123E.

Ann produced heavy rains over portions of the central Philippines. Press
reports indicate that three people drowned on the island of Samar. There are
no reports of property damage at this time.

North Indian Ocean Basin: No tropical cyclones.

South Indian Ocean Basin (W of 135 Deg. E):

Tropical Cyclone Hansella (TC-24S): At the start of the summary period,
Hansella was just southeast of Rodrigues Island drifting with 90 kt winds.
The cyclone became quasi-stationary near 21S 65E on 8 April, and it remained
stationary on 9 April while weakening to a tropical storm. Hansella drifted
erratically on 10 April while weakening to a depression, and the system
dissipated later that day near 21S 66E.

Hansella seriously affected Rodrigues Island, with the details given in
the last summary. There are no additional reports of damage or casualties.

Tropical Cyclone Olivia (TC-25S): At the start of the summary period,
Olivia was off the northwest coast of Australia moving west-southwest with
55 kt winds. Olivia turned west as it reached hurricane strength, then it
turned south on 8 April. The cyclone turned southwest on 9 April, then it
again turned south on 10 April. Olivia then turned south-southeast and made
landfall near Mardie, Australia late on 10 April. Steady intensification
occurred during this time, and Olivia reached a peak intensity of 125 kt
just prior to landfall. Olivia moved southeast and dissipated over western
Australia on 11 April.

Mardie reported a maximum gust of 139 kt as Olivia passed over (exact time
unknown). A nearby island reported a minimum pressure of 927 mb (exact time
unknown). Press reports indicate structural damage occurred to homes and
businesses in the landfall area. There are no reports of casualties or
monetary damage figures at this time.

Tropical Cyclone Itelle (TC-26S): Tropical Cyclone 26S formed near 15S 78E
on 8 April. Initially moving west-southwest, the system turned west-northwest
the next day as it reached tropical storm strength. Itelle moved west on 10
April as it reached hurricane strength, and this motion continued through
13 April. Itelle turned west-southwest on 14 April and continued this motion
through the end of the summary period. Steady strengthening occurred during
this time, and at the end of the summary period Itelle was packing 140 kt
winds.

South Pacific Ocean Basin (E of 135 Deg. E): No tropical cyclones.

Disclaimer: While an effort has been made to insure that this information is
as accurate as possible, this is a preliminary and unofficial report drawn
from operational warnings. Thus, it may not always agree with the best track
information published after the storm is over. Please address any questions
or comments on the information this week to Jack Beven at Internet addresses:

jbe...@delphi.com or be...@nhc.noaa.gov

Past text copies of the Tropical Cyclone Weekly Summary can now be obtained
courtesy of the International Weather Watchers at URL:

http://groundhog.sprl.umich.edu/iww/tropics

They are also available by e-mail. Please send an e-mail message to Jack
Beven if you are interested.

Jean-Francois Mezei

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

> Tropical Cyclone Olivia (TC-25S): At the start of the summary period,
> Olivia was off the northwest coast of Australia moving west-southwest with
> 55 kt winds. Olivia turned west as it reached hurricane strength, then it
> turned south on 8 April. The cyclone turned southwest on 9 April, then it
> again turned south on 10 April. Olivia then turned south-southeast and made
> landfall near Mardie, Australia late on 10 April. Steady intensification
> occurred during this time, and Olivia reached a peak intensity of 125 kt
> just prior to landfall. Olivia moved southeast and dissipated over western
> Australia on 11 April.

Olivia was expected to hit land overnight. During the earlier portion of that day (before
13:00), Olivia was north west of where I was (Karatha) and moving south. Therefore, there
was not much nervousness even though ABC radio reported huge lineups at the food stores
which closed at 12:00 (noon) except for the Coles which closed at 13:00 and there were NO
lineups at that time, everyone was not buying "canned goods and emergency items" but rather
coke, chips and other junk foods ! (I was surprised to see that).

However, later in the afternoon, it was reported that Olivia had switched direction and was
heading south-east and could possibly hit Karatha head on.

> Mardie reported a maximum gust of 139 kt as Olivia passed over (exact time
> unknown). A nearby island reported a minimum pressure of 927 mb (exact time
> unknown). Press reports indicate structural damage occurred to homes and
> businesses in the landfall area. There are no reports of casualties or
> monetary damage figures at this time.

I have a photocopy of a satellite picture kindly sent to me by a Darwin Meteorologist
(Sam Cleland: Thank you very much !).

The text on it states: GMS 12Z NIIR 96 04 10 80 (is this enough to be able to find that
picture on the net ?)

This corresponds to 20:00 local time, and the southern tip of the seems to be on the land.

We lost electrical power at about 22:00 (nice fireworks as wires continued to fly in the
air, generating sparks that flew away !) I recall noticing wind direction change sometime
between 20:00 and 22:00. Mardie, where the eye hit ground is about 100km from where I was
(Karatha). Power was restored at about 05:00 on the 11th. Winds had already dies down
considerably by then. Interesting that there were strong winds days prior to hitting, but
hours after passing through, winds had already gone down to "normal". (yeah ! about the
only time I had a tail wind in my trip:-)

Reports in the morning (06:00 am, some 14 hours before landfall) indicated the following:
-Pressure at centre was 935 hecto pascals (I assume it is the same as mb ?)
-Winds of 250km/h.
-Centre was located about 350km north of coast.
-Travelling at about 15km/h.

This means that the storm must have accelerated quite a bit in order to make that distance
in 14 hours. Does approach to land usually cause this ?

At Mardie, recorded winds of 257km/h. (sorry, I do not know how to convert to knots)

The above info is base on my own experience and radio reports from local stations.

Jean-Francois Mezei

Jun 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/14/96

Oh, another tidbit about Olivia:

While the town of Karatha (and Dampier) suffered little damage, their
buildings are built to widthstand these winds.

There was considerable damage to a roadhouse at Fortescue (just south of
Mardie. I was at Fortescue about 30 hours prior to its "destruction" (It
lost its roof). They had not bothered to call to get the latest
information and told me not to worry about it prior to my setting off on
my pushbike the day before. Needless to say, I didn't feel sorry for
them when I heard the news !

But the mining town of Pannawonica further inland was devastated and
this is where the media and politicians attention were focused (promises
to help rebuild etc).

I beleive that 2 days after landfall, Olivia was still causing trouble
and stirred up silthy sea bottom in South Australia (near Port Lincoln)
and caused about $60 million of damage to a fish farm because the fish
suffocated. So, even thought it was no longer a cyclone, it was still
causing trouble.