Intellicast's New Look?

1 view

Jeff Baker

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
Hello, weather guru's...

I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on Intellicast's new look?

What was wrong with their old one?

Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed in what they've done. To me, it's a
lot harder to navigate through, and I'm not crazy about their framed-page
advertising that you can't scroll away from.

Good intentions -- less than okay implementation.

Just curious...

Jeff
Dallas
Weather Nut

John Benedict

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
My opinion? Intellicast is not my first choice for "available weather
information". I'm willing to pay for a service free of mindless advertising.
The service I prefer is www.weatherTap.com . It's $5.95 per month. The radar
feed is updated every 8 minutes, the radar can be animated. They have
Aviation weather which gives valuable upper level activity. They offer
severe weather outlook provided by the SPC. Generally speaking, a weather
sight dedicated to weather, not sports activities. I guess the old adage
"you get what you pay for" really fits here!

--
"If you can't resolve your conflicts with the power of the word--hit them
with your lap-top!"

Michael. S

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
In article <7ii0he$rmn$1...@news.onramp.net>, "Jeff Baker"
<bak...@onramp.net> wrote:

> Hello, weather guru's...
>
> I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on Intellicast's new look?
>
> What was wrong with their old one?
>
> Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed in what they've done. To me, it's a
> lot harder to navigate through, and I'm not crazy about their framed-page
> advertising that you can't scroll away from.
>
> Good intentions -- less than okay implementation.
>
> Just curious...

Intellicast has now done for web-based radar what DejaNews did for
usenet search engines last week: put a loaded .44 Magnum to its head and
pulled the trigger. Intellicast is INSANE if it thinks it'll make as much
money off of subscriptions as it will off banners over free imagery. (At
least DejaNews still has a back door open to the good engine free of all
the spam -- no such luck with Intellicast.)

Nobody will be using those bozos for anything by the end of the week.

Mike Schneider, VRWC Sentinel Outpost. "Autoguns, on-line!" +--+--+--+
Reply to mike1@@@winternet.com sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

http://freehosting.at.webjump.com/am/aman-bre-webjump/civil/e-index.html
By Rocket's Red Glare, By Bombs Bursting In Air, We Could See Our Flag...

Vince Kluge

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
I've been a steady Intellicast user for the last year and a half or so. I
always found Intellicast to have the most useful weather radar imagery
available on the web.

This morning, however, I logged on and was introduced to the "new and
improved" site format. My initial reactions are extremely negative. I am no
longer able to "point and click" on the national radar image to zero in on a
local summary map. This was extremely useful in tracking severe weather. The
addition of all the advertising links has reduced the useable screen by
approx 20% and makes the pages much, much slower to load. It would appear
that the site has been diluted to be more commercially successful at the
expense of it's former level of excellent technical content.

So much for new and improved.

Vincent Kluge
Arizona Public Service Company
Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station
vkl...@apsc.com

John Benedict wrote in message ...

>My opinion? Intellicast is not my first choice for "available weather
>information". I'm willing to pay for a service free of mindless
advertising.
>The service I prefer is www.weatherTap.com . It's $5.95 per month. The
radar
>feed is updated every 8 minutes, the radar can be animated. They have
>Aviation weather which gives valuable upper level activity. They offer
>severe weather outlook provided by the SPC. Generally speaking, a weather
>sight dedicated to weather, not sports activities. I guess the old adage
>"you get what you pay for" really fits here!
>
>--
>"If you can't resolve your conflicts with the power of the word--hit them
>with your lap-top!"
>© 1998 J.E. Benedict
>Freelance writer, non-fiction; technical!
>jeben...@feist.com
>Jeff Baker wrote in message <7ii0he$rmn$1...@news.onramp.net>...

>>Hello, weather guru's...
>>
>>I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on Intellicast's new
>look?
>>
>>What was wrong with their old one?
>>
>>Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed in what they've done. To me, it's a
>>lot harder to navigate through, and I'm not crazy about their framed-page
>>advertising that you can't scroll away from.
>>
>>Good intentions -- less than okay implementation.
>>
>>Just curious...
>>

>>Jeff
>>Dallas
>>Weather Nut

Vince Kluge

David Lawrence Shapiro

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
I don't like the new look on Intellicast. I use them and wfaa.com for
weather radar for SKYWARN now I just have to use wfaa. I hope they will
change back.

Dave

Jeff Baker <bak...@onramp.net> wrote in message

Robert

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
s...@thesig.com (Michael. S) wrote:

> Intellicast has now done for web-based radar what DejaNews did for
>usenet search engines last week: put a loaded .44 Magnum to its head and

That's for sure. The new Dejanews layout is beyond annoying and
dysfunctional. Ditto now for the Intellicast revamp ( although I do
like the world temperature graphic ).

>pulled the trigger. Intellicast is INSANE if it thinks it'll make as much
>money off of subscriptions as it will off banners over free imagery. (At
>least DejaNews still has a back door open to the good engine free of all
>the spam -- no such luck with Intellicast.)

How do you get to the non-spam search engine? I wasn't successful in
finding it.

Robert

( modify address for return email )

Dan White

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
Hey Mike. How about pointing out a path to that dejanews back door?

"Michael. S" wrote:

> In article <7ii0he$rmn$1...@news.onramp.net>, "Jeff Baker"
> <bak...@onramp.net> wrote:
>

> > Hello, weather guru's...
> >
> > I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on Intellicast's new look?
> >
> > What was wrong with their old one?
> >
> > Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed in what they've done. To me, it's a
> > lot harder to navigate through, and I'm not crazy about their framed-page
> > advertising that you can't scroll away from.
> >
> > Good intentions -- less than okay implementation.
> >
> > Just curious...
>

> Intellicast has now done for web-based radar what DejaNews did for
> usenet search engines last week: put a loaded .44 Magnum to its head and

> pulled the trigger. Intellicast is INSANE if it thinks it'll make as much
> money off of subscriptions as it will off banners over free imagery. (At
> least DejaNews still has a back door open to the good engine free of all
> the spam -- no such luck with Intellicast.)

ToweringQs

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
>From: "Vince Kluge" <z56...@apsc.com>

>The addition of all the advertising links has reduced the useable
>screen by approx 20% and makes the pages much, much slower to load

Over at alt.talk.weather, someone suggested appending 'content.shtml' to the
URL to eliminate many of the ads and the annoying frames. It also allows the
page to load somewhat faster.

This is the URL for AKQ 88D data, with the 'content.shtml':
http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/MidAtlantic/Vir
ginia/Richmond/BaseReflectivity/content.shtml

HTH

TQ

Mike Haight

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
David Lawrence Shapiro <sky...@flash.net> sez:
: I don't like the new look on Intellicast. I use them and wfaa.com for

: weather radar for SKYWARN now I just have to use wfaa. I hope they will
: change back.

Hi fellow north Texans,

Your may want to look into kxas.com Web radar as well. They are a
bit further west than WFAA where the 'stuff' usually comes at us.
There was suppose to be another TV station opening something up
(here) in the Sherman TX/Ardmore OK area (KTEN?), but I have yet
to see anything on the Web from their radar.
--
MHH

Michael. S

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
In article <19990527115111...@ng-fv1.aol.com>,
tower...@aol.comTSRAGR (ToweringQs) wrote:

WOW!

I just discovered that the images themselves are now bookmarkable.

(Before, that wouldn't work, as an error would be returned.)

Michael. S

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99

I R A Aggie

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
On Wed, 26 May 1999 17:34:35 -0700, Vince Kluge <z56...@apsc.com>, in
<7ii3um$4...@news.apsc.com> wrote:

+ negative. I am no longer able to point and click on the national radar
+ image to zero in on a local summary map.

Really? I just did that. Went from National -> Altanta, GA, summary,
and from that to the local nexrad.

The basic URL to the local stuff is [broken up, but should all be one
line]:

http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/{region}/
{state}/{city}/{product}/

{region}=Southeast,Northwest
{state}=Georgia, Texas
{city}=Atlanta, Dallas
{product}=
BaseReflectivity
RadialVelocity
Precipitation
RadarSummary
RadarLoop
Radar
Satellite

It'll require a little bit of time to reconstitute these as individual
links...

+ So much for new and improved.

*shrug* Beggars can't be choosers. I see their satellite imagery still
sucks. Some things never change... :)

James

Jeff Baker

May 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/27/99
John,

I just subscribed to weatherTAP after reading your message, and WOW! What a
site! No advertisements and as real-time as it gets with the weather
images. How come I've never heard of this before???

The only page I'll miss from Intellicast that weatherTAP doesn't have is the
radar summary with cloud tops and direction/speed of travel. But other than
that, goodbye Intellicast!!!

Thanks for the hotlink, John!

Jeff

John Benedict

Richard H. Langill

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
ToweringQs wrote:

> >From: "Vince Kluge" <z56...@apsc.com>
>
> >The addition of all the advertising links has reduced the useable
> >screen by approx 20% and makes the pages much, much slower to load
>
> Over at alt.talk.weather, someone suggested appending 'content.shtml' to the
> URL to eliminate many of the ads and the annoying frames. It also allows the
> page to load somewhat faster.
>
> This is the URL for AKQ 88D data, with the 'content.shtml':
> http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/MidAtlantic/Vir
> ginia/Richmond/BaseReflectivity/content.shtml

Good suggestion - eliminates the bottom ads and gives a full screen map
now - for the US. It doesn't work with my local map for some reason?
Get only a bunch of gobbledygook - alphabet soup. Dick in NH

I R A Aggie

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
On Thu, 27 May 1999 12:29:26 GMT, Dan White <danw...@inetport.com>, in
<374D3AA8...@inetport.com> wrote:

+ Hey Mike. How about pointing out a path to that dejanews back door?

Better yet, just go to <url:http://aggie.stat.fsu.edu/>, and save that
page to your local disk. Still works, last I tried it.

James

Michael. S

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <slrn7l155v....@thepentagon.com>,
fl_a...@thepentagon.com wrote:

Thanks.

The one annoying thing about Deja's backdoor, is that when a result
returns zero hits, the search parameters aren't displayed on that page,
forcing the user to do an annoying "back" maneuver.

Mike Schneider, VRWC Sentinel Outpost. "Autoguns, on-line!" +--+--+--+
Reply to mike1@@@winternet.com sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

http://www2.cybercities.com/v/venik/aviation/natodowntable.htm
Above URL: NATO aircraft losses. URL below: What NATO has accomplished.
http://freehosting.at.webjump.com/am/aman-bre-webjump/civil/e-index.html

Josephine Michelle Draus and Lorraine Lee

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

>> >From: "Vince Kluge" <z56...@apsc.com>
>>
>> >The addition of all the advertising links has reduced the useable
>> >screen by approx 20% and makes the pages much, much slower to load

Needless to say, we found this to be the most conspicuous change.

Richard H. Langill wrote in message <374F31...@cyberportal.net>...

>Good suggestion - eliminates the bottom ads and gives a full screen map
>now - for the US. It doesn't work with my local map for some reason?
>Get only a bunch of gobbledygook - alphabet soup. Dick in NH

For some reason merely appending /content.shtml doesn't work for me. But
copying the page source to our own PC, replacing "content.shtml" with
"http://www.intellicast.com/LocalWeather/World/UnitedStates/Midwest/Michigan
/Detroit/Radar/content.shtml", replacing ROWS "*,75" with ROWS="*", and
typing the local filename in my browser URL line does.

Given that the hopes of all us pre-Gore-era internet users for the existence
for the first time in humyn history pf an advertising-independent
communication medium have long since been dashed, I'm sure they'll find a
way to close this loophole.

Keep the Aspidistra flying!

Joseph Bartlo

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Josephine Michelle Draus and Lorraine Lee wrote:

> Given that the hopes of all us pre-Gore-era internet users for the existence
> for the first time in humyn history pf an advertising-independent
> communication medium have long since been dashed, I'm sure they'll find a
> way to close this loophole.

Evidently, our hopes for reading carefully-written posts (without
misspellings) are dashed also ;)

Public TV is largely ad-free (except for the brief ones between shows), and
I think much of the programming is better than that on the premium cable
channels.

My main point though is that this has less to do with Gore or Clinton as
it does with freedom. If we could have a 'communist' revolution and all
state communications (the only type licenced) were ad-free, that'd solve
the problem; but this solution is not attractive for the great majority
of people. Else, people are still not completely free, but do have the
freedom to advertise; which is shown to be effective for the general public
(though I am sure I am not the only person less likely to buy something
being pushed at me).

Joseph