Tropical Cyclone Weekly Summary #228 (December 10 - 17, 1995)

Jack Beven

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
This report is compiled from warnings issued by:
National Hurricane Center Central Pacific Hurricane Center
Naval Pacific Meteor./Ocean. Center Fiji Meteorological Service
Meteorological Service of New Zealand Joint Typhoon Warning Center
Japanese Meteorological Agency Bureau of Meteorology, Australia
Philippine Meteorological Service Royal Observatory of Hong Kong
Indian Meteorological Department Reunion Meteorological Service
Mauritius Meteorological Service
(others may be added as they become available)

Author's Note: I accidentally erased my summary mailing list file. I've
reconstructed it as best I can, but I may not be mailing to everyone that was
on the list prior to my goof. Anyone who sees this and is no longer getting
the summary by e-mail please let me know.

WEEKLY TROPICAL CYCLONE SUMMARY #228 DECEMBER 10 - 17, 1995

North Atlantic Basin: No tropical cyclones.

Eastern North Pacific Basin (E of 140 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

Central North Pacific Basin (180 Deg. W to 140 Deg. W): No tropical cyclones.

Western North Pacific Basin (W of 180 Deg.):

Tropical Depression 34W: At the start of the summary period, Tropical
Depression 34W was drifting west through the South China Sea at its peak
intensity of 30 kt. The system weakened to a low pressure area on 11 December
near 8N 113E. However, the low continued west and regained tropical depression
status on 13 December near 8N 108E. The cyclone then drifted erratically until
final dissipation near 8N 110E on 14 December.

North Indian Ocean Basin: No tropical cyclones.

South Indian Ocean Basin (W of 135 Deg. E):

Tropical Cyclone Emma (TC-02S): At the start of the summary period, Emma
was moving east with 35 kt winds. Emma continued east until 12 December, when
it weakened to a depression and then a low pressure area near 11S 107E. The
low continued east and regained tropical cyclone status near 13S 113E on 14
December. Emma briefly regained 35 kt winds, but it then weakened back to a
depression later on 14 December. Final dissipation occurred the next day near
13S 114E.

Tropical Cyclone Frank (TC-03S): At the start of the summary period, Frank
was following a south to south-southwest track near the northwest coast of
Australia with its peak winds of 115 kt. The cyclone continued a general
south-southwest motion on 11 December, then it turned south-southeast the
next day while weakening to a tropical storm. The system became extratropical
as it moved into western Australia on 13 December.

Frank affected a large portion of the western Australia coast with tropical
storm force winds. In addition to the observations in the last summary,
Onslow reported 42 kt sustained winds at 0400 UTC 11 December. Learmouth also
reported 42 kt sustained winds at 0700 UTC the same day. There are no reports
of damage or casualties at this time.

South Pacific Ocean Basin (E of 135 Deg. E): No tropical cyclones.

Disclaimer: While an effort has been made to insure that this information is
as accurate as possible, this is a preliminary and unofficial report drawn
from operational warnings. Thus, it may not always agree with the best track
information published after the storm is over. Please address any questions
or comments on the information this week to Jack Beven at Internet addresses:

jbe...@delphi.com

or

be...@trdis.aoml.erl.gov

Past text copies of the Tropical Cyclone Weekly Summary can be obtained via
anonymous ftp from squall.met.fsu.edu in directory pub/jack. They are also
available by e-mail. Please send an e-mail message to Jack Beven if you are
interested.