First run of the Gasifier Furnace!

DB

Sep 17, 2008, 11:42:37 PM9/17/08

Bill Ward

Sep 17, 2008, 11:56:34 PM9/17/08
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:42:37 -0700, DB wrote:

> http://lakeweb.net/gasifier/Gasifier_Furnace.html

Looks good, Dan! Are you going to regulate the T to avoid melting things
in actual operation?

DB

Sep 18, 2008, 9:40:55 AM9/18/08

Hi Bill,
Thanks. The potential melting problem was from a leak. Wood gas is a
pretty good fuel. Once the fiberglass melted there was a torch like
flame shooting up the outside of the box. Next I'll create a one inch
wide precision seal between the primary box and the nozzle. Right now it
is just a ragged edge of metal pressed toward the nozzle. I built this
quick and dirty to take it around the block right away. I'm casting the
nozzle with surplus cement and sand so don't mind making new ones till I
get it right.

I do want the gas in the secondary to burn as hot as possible. When the
mixture is right, it should get up to around 2400f from what I've read.
I have a national forest in my backyard and can get all the downed pine,
etc., I want for some $20 a cord. Unlike a wood stove, you can burn
anything you can get your hands on in one of these.

After the poor performance of a conventional boiler last year, this
first test was very encouraging.

Best, Dan.

tadchem

Sep 18, 2008, 8:51:37 PM9/18/08
On Sep 17, 11:42 pm, DB <a...@some.net> wrote:
> http://lakeweb.net/gasifier/Gasifier_Furnace.html

Where can I see diagrams?

I have been designing an updraft furnace with the supply air preheated
by the exhaust (no mixing) to release the wood gases (also radiantly
heated by the geometry of the oven chamber). Further up the wood gases
are to be mixed with the oxygen supply for ignition.

I expect good completion in the burning, but your result of no
apparent ash is impressive.

I am trying to make my system workable without fans and able to run
continuously on gathered wood/forest waste for extended periods (up to
16 hrs).

I am adding a nominal cooking chamber and grill over the exhaust. That
makes it legally a "barbecue" to comply with restrictions on open
burning.

<The woods behind my house have considerable litter and undergrowth,
presenting a forest fire hazard which I seek to abate.>

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

DB

Sep 18, 2008, 10:31:35 PM9/18/08
tadchem wrote:
> On Sep 17, 11:42 pm, DB <a...@some.net> wrote:
>> http://lakeweb.net/gasifier/Gasifier_Furnace.html
>
> Where can I see diagrams?

Hi Tom,
Sorry. What you see is what you get. Just like the PWM circuit, I see it
in my head and plug the parts in. I want to see quick and dirty teach me
before more serious numbers. In the end, it will be micro controlled.

> I have been designing an updraft furnace with the supply air preheated
> by the exhaust (no mixing) to release the wood gases (also radiantly
> heated by the geometry of the oven chamber). Further up the wood gases
> are to be mixed with the oxygen supply for ignition.

I had only seen one updraft gasifier in my searches. It looks to be a
tougher way to go.

> I expect good completion in the burning, but your result of no
> apparent ash is impressive.

Gasification reduces your fuel to the smallest of ash, and that gets
blown away. Some designs use circulators to collect the ash.

> I am trying to make my system workable without fans and able to run
> continuously on gathered wood/forest waste for extended periods (up to
> 16 hrs).

Slow burn is tough. That is why I'm going with a gasifier. I have 3000
lbs. of hurricane wax that I will store the heat in. The gasifier will
drive a boiler. If you don't keep the temperature up, you will create
tars. But I'm sure you know that. I'm not going to try to do it without
electricity. But I will strive for 2-4 kwh/day in January. With stored
heat I will also handle heating my water. A little more and I can keep
the frost out of the green house before the first of spring!

> I am adding a nominal cooking chamber and grill over the exhaust. That
> makes it legally a "barbecue" to comply with restrictions on open
> burning.

:)
Where I live, not an issue.

Best, Dan.

B Richardson

Sep 19, 2008, 5:29:39 PM9/19/08
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.energy.]

What was the deal with the conventional boiler, would it just not
get hot enough?

tadchem

Sep 19, 2008, 10:57:23 PM9/19/08

I'm not trying to do a slow burn. I'm trying to burn up the biowaste
from a fair-sized section of mixed forest as completely as possible.
A large bonfire will be inefficient, leaving much ash and tar. I have
figured out that the best heating of the fuel will come in a smaller
stove that reflects radiant heat back through the combustion zone to
the unburned fuel, releasing the wood gas. Especially if the fuel is
heated from underneath as well by the upward flow of air preheated by
the exhaust. That calls for a gas-phase heat exchanger design,
preferably a counter-current system.

This will give fast, hot burning, limiting the capacity for fuel.
Another feature of my design will be a closed hopper to feed the raw
fuel (wood chips). The hopper can be conveniently filled and sealed
and will hold a day's worth of fuel. The tightly closed design of the
hopper will ensure that the updraft carries the wood gas into the
combustion zone and not into the fuel hopper itself, where a fire
would be oxygen starved and very slow.

>  > I am adding a nominal cooking chamber and grill over the exhaust. That
>  > makes it legally a "barbecue" to comply with restrictions on open
>  > burning.
>
> :)
> Where I live, not an issue.

I envy you. Weak-kneed government officials are allowing the pressure
applied by the drinkers of the green Kool-Aid to get to them -
everywhere.

I would rather eliminate a safety problem around my family home, even
if it means returning a little CO2 to the atmosphere from which the
inedible trees have stolen it.

> Best, Dan.

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

"I love vegetarians. Especially with a good sauce."

DB

Sep 20, 2008, 2:58:33 PM9/20/08
tadchem wrote:

> I'm not trying to do a slow burn. I'm trying to burn up the biowaste
> from a fair-sized section of mixed forest as completely as possible.
> A large bonfire will be inefficient, leaving much ash and tar. I have
> figured out that the best heating of the fuel will come in a smaller
> stove that reflects radiant heat back through the combustion zone to
> the unburned fuel, releasing the wood gas. Especially if the fuel is
> heated from underneath as well by the upward flow of air preheated by
> the exhaust. That calls for a gas-phase heat exchanger design,
> preferably a counter-current system.

The only time you need to worry about the quality of the wood gas from
the primary burn is if you intend to use the fuel in the likes of an
ICE. Otherwise, just use a downdraft gasifier and the fuel will make a
complete burn in the secondary. You don't need to do anything special at
the primary burn, a dirty burn will produce plenty of wood gas. It is
about burning the wood gas, not generating it. I'd just use a proven and
simple system.

> This will give fast, hot burning, limiting the capacity for fuel.
> Another feature of my design will be a closed hopper to feed the raw
> fuel (wood chips). The hopper can be conveniently filled and sealed
> and will hold a day's worth of fuel. The tightly closed design of the
> hopper will ensure that the updraft carries the wood gas into the
> combustion zone and not into the fuel hopper itself, where a fire
> would be oxygen starved and very slow.

Gasification can be done right in the hopper. You seem to be looking to
make something more like a pellet stove.

http://www.woodgas.com/Superficial%20Velocity.pdf
http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/henderson10207

Just use google and you will find a lot of information about wood
gasification.

Best, Dan.

RO

Sep 21, 2008, 1:35:35 AM9/21/08
Does wood gasification create ash? My wife stopped getting bronchitis
after we switched from wood to propane, but the price of propane is gone up
300%.

RO

--

"DB" <a...@some.net> wrote in message

> http://lakeweb.net/gasifier/Gasifier_Furnace.html

Rod Speed

Sep 21, 2008, 2:00:17 AM9/21/08
RO <jo...@whidbey.net> wrote:

> DB <a...@some.net> wrote

>> http://lakeweb.net/gasifier/Gasifier_Furnace.html

> Does wood gasification create ash?

Corse it does.

> My wife stopped getting bronchitis after we switched from wood to propane, but the price of propane is gone up 300%.

Time to trade her in on a more frugal one.

DB

Sep 21, 2008, 12:23:47 PM9/21/08
RO wrote:
> Does wood gasification create ash? My wife stopped getting bronchitis
> after we switched from wood to propane, but the price of propane is gone up
> 300%.

Yes, but not much. And a lot of the ash is swept up the flue because it
is a fine ash. Depends on design. Gasifiers are becoming popular to meet
EPA standards where a conventional stove won't.

Typical is to park the stove outside the house and bring the heat in by
water. Some are installed in the basement. But I don't see them
installed in the living area but for one updraft product.

google: wood gasification boilers

You will find a lot of products on the market even if they are not
really boilers.

Best, Dan.

Uncle Al

Sep 21, 2008, 6:17:03 PM9/21/08
The (initial) $700 billion Wall Street bailout (in addition to the
~$200 billion already "loaned"),

<http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2008/09/20/treasurys-financial-bailout-proposal-to-congress/>

"Decisions by the Secretary [of the Treasury] pursuant to the
authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency
discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any
administrative agency."

"Subsection (b) of section 3101 of title 31, United States Code, is
amended by striking out the dollar limitation contained in such
subsection and inserting in lieu thereof $11,315,000,000,000."

US GDP 2007 = $13.84 trillion

<http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/overview.html>
Budget of the United States Government, FY 2007
"For 2007, the Budget forecasts a decline in the deficit to 2.6
percent of GDP, or $354 billion."

It's always a good time to buy ammo. Oh yeah... the US regime has
dusted off draconian laws to interfere with stock trading.

<http://www.law.uc.edu/CCL/34Act/sec12.html>

For example, the SEC claims that it has legal authority to ban people
from shorting financial stocks "pursuant to its authority in Section
12(k)(2) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934", to quote their press
release.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

Rod Speed

Sep 21, 2008, 6:58:22 PM9/21/08
Uncle Al <Uncl...@hate.spam.net> wrote:

> The (initial) $700 billion Wall Street bailout (in addition to the ~$200 billion already "loaned"),

> <http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2008/09/20/treasurys-financial-bailout-proposal-to-congress/>

> "Decisions by the Secretary [of the Treasury] pursuant to the
> authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency
> discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any
> administrative agency."

> "Subsection (b) of section 3101 of title 31, United States Code, is
> amended by striking out the dollar limitation contained in such
> subsection and inserting in lieu thereof $11,315,000,000,000."

And it remains to be seen how that legislation ends up.

> US GDP 2007 = $13.84 trillion

Those figures arent even comparable because the GDP number is just one year and the other one isnt.

> <http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2007/overview.html>
> Budget of the United States Government, FY 2007
> "For 2007, the Budget forecasts a decline in the deficit to 2.6 percent of GDP, or $354 billion."

> It's always a good time to buy ammo.

Didnt need to bother during the great depression.

> Oh yeah... the US regime has dusted off draconian laws to interfere with stock trading.

> <http://www.law.uc.edu/CCL/34Act/sec12.html>

> For example, the SEC claims that it has legal authority to ban people from
> shorting financial stocks "pursuant to its authority in Section 12(k)(2) of the
> Securities Exchange Act of 1934", to quote their press release.

And you wont find the Supremes ruling that they dont, you watch.