computer power supply shorted - no apparent cause of death

Rob

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

I have shorted the 12v lead to the body of the cd drive (it still works)
and the power supply cut out never to show life again. The fuse hasn't
blown and there doesn't seem to be any damage, marks etcetera. I have a
multimeter and limited knowledge. Any suggestions will be warmly
received. Rob

Laurence Taylor

Jun 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/11/97

In article <339842...@acay.com.au> televi...@mindless.com "Rob" writes:

-> I have shorted the 12v lead to the body of the cd drive (it still works)
-> and the power supply cut out never to show life again. The fuse hasn't
-> blown and there doesn't seem to be any damage, marks etcetera. I have a
-> multimeter and limited knowledge. Any suggestions will be warmly
-> received. Rob

Check for fusible resistors (usually only a couple of ohms, designed to
go open rapidly and with no visible effect), or ICP devices, actually
silicon fuses which look like a transistor with two legs.

rgds
LAurence

Yves Houbion

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

In article <339842...@acay.com.au>, ro...@acay.com.au says...

>I have shorted the 12v lead to the body of the cd drive (it still works)
>and the power supply cut out never to show life again. The fuse hasn't
>blown and there doesn't seem to be any damage, marks etcetera. I have a
>multimeter and limited knowledge. Any suggestions will be warmly
>received. Rob

The two diodes making +12V from the secondary of the main transformer are
probably shorted. These diodes are wired common cathodes. They could be
integrated in a three legs package (like a big transistor) or soldered on a
heatsink. Replace with high current, high speed rectifiers.
ATTENTION: the primary side off the mains transformer is dangerous! First
discharge the two big capacitors in a resistor (10 ohms 5W).
Good luck

Glenn Allen

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

yves.h...@fundp.ac.be (Yves Houbion) wrote:

I would check to see if there is an SCR ie T0220 case device with a shorted
zener diode on or near the 12V +5volt section out put, a short can blow the
zener and it will never let it power up.

Glenn.

Glenn Allen.
34 PITAMA ROAD,PALMERSTON NORTH,NEW ZEALAND.
PH +64-6-3544816 FAX +64-6-3544676 CELL 025-406690
www.freeyellow.com/members/pclogic
Secondary EMAIL: pcl...@freeyellow.com