Samsung 27" TV doesn't work.

George Jetson

Dec 23, 2006, 5:18:47 PM12/23/06
Someone gave me a Samsung 27" TV, Model TXL2791F. When I tried to turn
it on it did nothing. No indication of power at all. I opened it up and
checked the fuses. All good.

I got a copy of the schematics, and did a little circuit tracing.
There's a component called a flyback transformer, which is connected to
a component called a high voltage tripler, which is connected to the CRT
high voltage anode. There's a picture of it at
http://www.wehaveparts.com/index.cgi?product=&pid=1553&cart_id=
1146478751 . The picture says it's a flyback transformer, but according
to the schematic it's the tripler. The schematic just shows a box. No
internal wiring.

The thick wire shown in the picture goes to the CRT anode, the thin wire
goes to a ground, and the hole is for a thick wire from the flyback.

When I pull the ground off, I can turn the TV on with the switch as well
as the remote. After removing the ground, when I plug it in I hear the
slight crackling/humming sound that means the set is powering up, and a
red LED comes on that means the set is powered up but off. When I press
the ON switch or the remote, the LED turns green, and I get a tone that
means I need to set up the time, channels, etc. I get no picture, of
course, because there's no voltage to the CRT, but everything else seems
to indicate that the TV is starting to power up normally. When the
ground wire is connected, presing the switch or the remote gets no
reaction at all.

No, my question. Would this indicate a problem with the tripler? Or the
flyback? What's a good way to test? I am familiar with radio and
computer repair, but I've never worked with televisions, and I don't
have any high voltage test equipment. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and I'm aware that the voltages in a TV can kill me, so I take
proper safety precautions, so no need to remind me. Thanks for the
thought, though.

David Naylor

Dec 23, 2006, 5:39:52 PM12/23/06
in the model your speaking of there is only a FLYBACK transformer, the
tripler is built in the problem your having is the flyback
replace it and you should be good to go VERY VERY comon problem on sam dung

George Jetson

Dec 23, 2006, 6:17:11 PM12/23/06
David Naylor <dave...@comcast.net> wrote in

> in the model your speaking of there is only a FLYBACK transformer, the
> tripler is built in the problem your having is the flyback
> replace it and you should be good to go VERY VERY comon problem on
> sam dung

It appears to be two distinct components. This is the flyback:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/greree/flyback.jpg

This is the tripler:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/greree/tripler.jpg

How do I test it to see which it is? Thanks.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

George Jetson

Dec 23, 2006, 7:44:48 PM12/23/06
gfre...@aol.com wrote in news:04iro2hs18iq0surs...@4ax.com:

> Unless this is just a hobby for you TVs are usually like Bic lighters.
> When they go bad you toss them.
> If you just start "easter egging" parts in there you could have more
> than the TV is worth and still not fix it. Sometimes is is just one
> thing but if this thing was hit by a power surge you could have smoked
> several thiings

This one cost $700 new, and is better than the one I have now. If I can fix
it for $50 or $60 it'll be worth it. If I can't I'll toss it.

James Sweet

Dec 23, 2006, 8:05:38 PM12/23/06

If you know what you're doing it shouldn't be hard to fix, otherwise
take it to a shop or at least find a friend who's experienced in working
on TVs or you'll more likely make it unrepairable.

Do you have a multimeter, soldering tools, and a basic understanding of
how a television set works?

George Jetson

Dec 23, 2006, 8:15:41 PM12/23/06
James Sweet <james...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Do you have a multimeter, soldering tools, and a basic understanding
> of how a television set works?

Yes to all, plus I have a set of schematics for the TV.

anonymous

Dec 23, 2006, 8:27:40 PM12/23/06
You may want to check for open 1 ohm or so resistors on the secondary
side of the fbt, sweep derived supply, whatever you want to call it.

buffalobill

Dec 24, 2006, 6:57:21 AM12/24/06
note that a neon ac tester will light up in the presence of a working
flyback. but don't play with one just yet, read up on your
troubleshooting questions, please see:
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm
which is from:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html

AZ Nomad

Dec 24, 2006, 11:49:17 AM12/24/06

You paid *way* too much or are quoting the price of 15 years ago. $450 will buy
you a well made 32" set; your tv can be replaced for under $300.

George Jetson

Dec 24, 2006, 2:25:49 PM12/24/06
AZ Nomad <azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote in

> You paid *way* too much or are quoting the price of 15 years ago.

Neither. This TV came out in 2001 with a MSRP of $699. I got it for free.

> $450 will buy you a well made 32" set; your tv can be replaced for
> under $300.

Why would I want to pay $300 to $450 for a new TV, if I can fix this one
for $50 or $60?

Message has been deleted

Charlie Bress

Dec 24, 2006, 4:29:15 PM12/24/06

"George Jetson" <gjet...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I haven't tried to buy a flyback for a long time. I suspect you will have
problem finding the right one and at a reasonable price.

Charlie

George Jetson

Dec 24, 2006, 4:39:43 PM12/24/06
gfre...@aol.com wrote in

> That was my thought and if this is not digital capable it is a time
> bomb anyway. I know I have seen guys throw part after part at a TV
> that was "surged" and still end up with an old TV. These things are
> wired in a big loop on the primary that includes lots of $20-70 parts
> and a lightning hit will take out most of them. If it also got into
> the tuner side, getting it to light up is only the start of your
> misery.
>
> It is no accident that there isn't a TV repair shop in every strip
> mall these days.

It is digital capable. It's a pretty decent TV. I doubt that there's
heavy damage, since the woman I got it from didn't say anything about
lightning, and all the fuses and fusible links are good. I also took the
high voltage tripler out of circuit and the rest of the TV seemed to
power up ok.

Like I said before, I'm not going to put a lot of money into this.
That's why I'm asking for troubleshooting help.

Rick Brandt

Dec 24, 2006, 4:40:49 PM12/24/06

Because it's a gamble. You can spend 50 to 60 bucks in an "attempt" to fix it.
If your time and effort is worth anything at all considerably more than that.
And when the new fly-back is in place there is a very good chance that the set
will be just as dead as it is now.

George Jetson

Dec 24, 2006, 4:43:41 PM12/24/06
"Charlie Bress" <cbr...@paamail.com> wrote in

> I haven't tried to buy a flyback for a long time. I suspect you will
> have problem finding the right one and at a reasonable price.
>
> Charlie

It doesn't appear to be the flyback. It's actually the tripler, and I found
one for $38 online. If it does end up being the flyback, I'm sure I can get
one from the same place.

George Jetson

Dec 24, 2006, 4:49:29 PM12/24/06
"Rick Brandt" <rickb...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Because it's a gamble. You can spend 50 to 60 bucks in an "attempt"
> to fix it. If your time and effort is worth anything at all
> considerably more than that. And when the new fly-back is in place
> there is a very good chance that the set will be just as dead as it is
> now.

That's why I'm asking for advice on troubleshooting. Besides, if I wasn't
trying to fix the TV, I'd probably be WATCHING TV, or playing on the
internet, so so my time and effort isn't worth all that much.

Rick Brandt

Dec 24, 2006, 4:55:21 PM12/24/06

Just be mindful that when working on a set (even one completely disconnected
from power) that there is more than one place you can touch that will light you
up pretty good. The old rule being "one hand in a pocket". A 27 inch will have
about 30,000 volts stored in the tube and some of the larger capacitors can get
your attention as well.

Ken Weitzel

Dec 24, 2006, 5:58:53 PM12/24/06

Hi...

I think it specified the "left" hand in the pocket... :)

Take care, be safe, and happy holidays.

Ken

CJT

Dec 24, 2006, 6:12:37 PM12/24/06
Ken Weitzel wrote:

So left-handed people can't work on TVs?

Ken Weitzel

Dec 24, 2006, 7:01:01 PM12/24/06

Hi...

Hehehe.. none that I ever met :)

Seriously, the theory was that the left hand (shoulder) was nearest the
heart, so the path of current flow would be least likely fatal from the
right hand to wherever it was going, rather than the left.

Take care.

Ken

Franc Zabkar

Dec 24, 2006, 7:26:55 PM12/24/06
On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:18:47 GMT, George Jetson <gjet...@gmail.com>
put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Someone gave me a Samsung 27" TV, Model TXL2791F. When I tried to turn
>it on it did nothing. No indication of power at all. I opened it up and
>checked the fuses. All good.
>
>I got a copy of the schematics, and did a little circuit tracing.
>There's a component called a flyback transformer, which is connected to
>a component called a high voltage tripler, which is connected to the CRT
>high voltage anode. There's a picture of it at
>http://www.wehaveparts.com/index.cgi?product=&pid=1553&cart_id=
>1146478751 . The picture says it's a flyback transformer, but according
>to the schematic it's the tripler. The schematic just shows a box. No
>internal wiring.

The HR Diemen HR8720 appears to be an equivalent:
http://www.hrdiemen.es/products/index.php?command=viewProduct&id=7357

FBT wiring diagram with voltages:
http://www.hrdiemen.es/products/index.php?command=viewSchema&filename=./img/esquemas/HR8720.gif

- Franc Zabkar

tn...@mucks.net

Dec 24, 2006, 8:59:07 PM12/24/06
It means the crowbar circuit is working as it is suppose to. Most
likely the horizontal output transistor or output is shorted.

George Jetson

Dec 24, 2006, 11:38:07 PM12/24/06
tn...@mucks.net wrote in news:k0cuo259uparuc14p...@4ax.com:

> It means the crowbar circuit is working as it is suppose to. Most
> likely the horizontal output transistor or output is shorted.

Could you explain this? Thanks.

mm

Dec 25, 2006, 1:23:11 AM12/25/06
wrote:

>No, my question. Would this indicate a problem with the tripler? Or the
>flyback? What's a good way to test? I am familiar with radio and
>computer repair, but I've never worked with televisions, and I don't
>have any high voltage test equipment. Thanks for the help.
>
>Oh, and I'm aware that the voltages in a TV can kill me, so I take
>proper safety precautions, so no need to remind me. Thanks for the
>thought, though.

Proof by assertion? You haven't convinced me.

Do you know that the TV can kill you after it is off, after it is
unplugged, for days afterwards or maybe even weeks if the discharge
device is bad?

Do you know how to discharge the picture tube after the set is off,
without touching it electrically?

Even I don't know if the part that precedes the flyback is dangerous.
I just never touch it.

Message has been deleted

George Jetson

Dec 25, 2006, 11:40:22 PM12/25/06
mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

> Proof by assertion? You haven't convinced me.

Then by all means feel free to NOT offer any advice.

mm

Dec 26, 2006, 1:15:15 AM12/26/06
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 04:40:22 GMT, George Jetson <gjet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in

I do feel free not to offer any advice, and I also feel free to offer
it.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

George Jetson

Dec 26, 2006, 8:45:14 AM12/26/06

> I do feel free not to offer any advice, and I also feel free to offer
> it.

My point is that if you're not convinced of my knowledge of proper safety
precautions, then don't offer any troubleshooting advice.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 12:37:59 AM12/27/06
Charlie Morgan <*@*.com> wrote in

> I don't recall you ever mentioning that you have an isolation
> transformer.
>
> CWM

You're correct. I didn't. In fact, I don't think I mentioned ANY specific
safety precautions.

Message has been deleted

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 1:46:57 PM12/27/06
Charlie Morgan <*@*.com> wrote in

> So, what would lead anyone to believe you know what you are doing? The
> simple statement that, "I know what I'm doing?
>
> CWM

Actually, I think there are three types of people contributing to this
thread. One, people who believe that I know what I'm doing well enough
to follow simple instructions and not kill myself. Two, people who don't
care if I know what I'm doing well enough to follow simple instructions
and not kill myself, but contribute information anyway. And three,
people who withhold information until I can somehow prove that I know
what I'm doing well enough to follow simple instructions and not kill
myself.

If you fall into one of the first two catagories, then I appreciate any
information you can give. If you fall into the last catagory, then feel
free to ignore this thread.

I'm not trying to be an asshole. But I'm certainly not going to provide
a resume to anyone who thinks I need to prove my worthiness to receive
information.

Message has been deleted

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 3:37:22 PM12/27/06
Charlie Morgan <*@*.com> wrote in

> If you are not "trying" to be an asshole, then I guess it comes
> naturally, and without effort for you.

Really, I'm not. I just think that my safety is solely MY
responsibility, and if I'm comfortable with my level of knowledge in
this area, then anyone who wishes to help me should accept that I am.

> People who have experience
> working on televisions have an awareness of how how dangerous they are
> for the smug amateur handyman who thinks he knows all the answers when
> he doesn't even know what questions to ask. Those who want to make
> sure you are not one of "those", are merely being responsible and
> showing concern for your welfare. They are trying to help you without
> getting you injured or killed. It's not about you or your worthiness.
> It's about them being responsible and caring.

You speak as if there are numerous people who are concerned about my
level of expertise in TV repair, and I'm writing replies bashing them
all. Actually, my original response was to one particular person, mm.
Several people asked about my experience, and I politely answered.
Several people gave me safety advice, which I gladly accepted. A number
of people just accepted that I knew enough to work on TV's and offered
troubleshooting advice. As a matter of fact, YOU were the second person
to give me advice, with no thought as to my qualifications. By the way,
thanks for the advice.

On the other hand, mm flatly called me a liar, and then proceeded to
quiz me with VERY basic TV troubleshooting questions, implying that he
wouldn't answer any questions unless I passed the test. Even though I
was VERY insulted, I just told him that he didn't have to offer any
advice if he didn't think I was qualified to apply it.

That's when you stepped in. Yes, I realize everyone can read my replies,
but that doesn't mean those replies are directed to everyone. I was
specifically replying to mm, not you, or anyone else. So if I said
something to offend you specifically, I apologize. But if you're
offended by what I said to mm, please keep it to yourself. It's none of
your business.

Message has been deleted

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 4:14:18 PM12/27/06
Charlie Morgan <*@*.com> wrote in news:ctm5p25j3ajetaf4ctpjf0p0flrnmf34sn@
4ax.com:

> I don't have any idea what's on TV tonight, but I am thinking you are
> going to miss it. <G>
>
> CWM

Maybe, but not for lack of a working TV. I have three.

Malissa Baldwin

Dec 27, 2006, 4:17:42 PM12/27/06

James Sweet wrote:

> Do you have a multimeter, soldering tools, and a basic understanding of
> how a television set works?

Do you, or do you just jizz on the circuit board?

Malissa Baldwin

Dec 27, 2006, 4:22:26 PM12/27/06

George Jetson wrote:
> Someone gave me a Samsung 27" TV, Model TXL2791F. When I tried to turn
> it on it did nothing. No indication of power at all. I opened it up and
> checked the fuses. All good.

You didn't say that you plugged it in, asshole, maybe you should try
doing that.

> I got a copy of the schematics, and did a little circuit tracing.
> There's a component called a flyback transformer, which is connected to
> a component called a high voltage tripler, which is connected to the CRT
> high voltage anode. There's a picture of it at
> http://www.wehaveparts.com/index.cgi?product=&pid=1553&cart_id=
> 1146478751 . The picture says it's a flyback transformer, but according
> to the schematic it's the tripler. The schematic just shows a box. No
> internal wiring.
>

> The thick wire shown in the picture goes to the CRT anode, the thin wire
> goes to a ground, and the hole is for a thick wire from the flyback.

That's the wire that the cable company sends the picture to the tube.

> When I pull the ground off, I can turn the TV on with the switch as well
> as the remote. After removing the ground, when I plug it in I hear the
> slight crackling/humming sound that means the set is powering up, and a
> red LED comes on that means the set is powered up but off. When I press
> the ON switch or the remote, the LED turns green, and I get a tone that
> means I need to set up the time, channels, etc. I get no picture, of
> course, because there's no voltage to the CRT, but everything else seems
> to indicate that the TV is starting to power up normally.

If there is no voltage to the CRT, then how the fuck would you know
that the time and channels need to be set up.

> When the ground wire is connected, presing the switch or the remote gets no
> reaction at all.

That's probably because the ground wire is connected to the switch,
stupid.

> No, my question. Would this indicate a problem with the tripler? Or the
> flyback? What's a good way to test? I am familiar with radio and

> computer repair, but I've never worked with televisions, and I don't

> have any high voltage test equipment. Thanks for the help.

Well then, you're fucked.

> Oh, and I'm aware that the voltages in a TV can kill me, so I take
> proper safety precautions, so no need to remind me. Thanks for the
> thought, though.

Fuck it and just throw it away and buy a Protron.

Rick Brandt

Dec 27, 2006, 4:34:34 PM12/27/06

One of the more common (totally dead) failures I see is a cracked circuit board
which interrupts some of the circuit traces. This is common in the area of the
flyback due to its weight. If the set is dropped or otherwise subjected to
sufficient G-forces the weight of the flyback causes enough board flex to crack
it. Sometimes these are easy to see, sometimes finding all of them can be a
real tough nut.

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 4:42:11 PM12/27/06
I'll ignore everything else you wrote, except this. I think you really
don't know this.

"Malissa Baldwin" <ziggylike...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> If there is no voltage to the CRT, then how the fuck would you know
> that the time and channels need to be set up.

Remember what I said? "I get a TONE that means I need to set up the time,
channels, etc." A tone. As in sound. Sounds don't go through the CRT, you
feeble minded bitch.

CptDondo

Dec 27, 2006, 4:48:00 PM12/27/06
Malissa Baldwin wrote:

> You didn't say that you plugged it in, asshole, maybe you should try
> doing that.

> That's the wire that the cable company sends the picture to the tube.
>

> If there is no voltage to the CRT, then how the fuck would you know
> that the time and channels need to be set up.
>

> That's probably because the ground wire is connected to the switch,
> stupid.
>>

> Well then, you're fucked.
>

> Fuck it and just throw it away and buy a Protron.

Take a shit, have an orgasm, do what it takes, but lose that attitude.

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 4:57:59 PM12/27/06

> One of the more common (totally dead) failures I see is a cracked
> circuit board which interrupts some of the circuit traces. This is
> common in the area of the flyback due to its weight. If the set is
> dropped or otherwise subjected to sufficient G-forces the weight of
> the flyback causes enough board flex to crack it. Sometimes these are
> easy to see, sometimes finding all of them can be a real tough nut.

The set is only a few years old, and the flyback is relatively light. I
also looked at the circuit card and didn't see any marks or cracks at
all. And to be honest, I'm not sure it's the flyback. There's a
component called a High Voltage Tripler that sits between the flyback
and the CRT. When I take the tripler out of the circuit the set powers
up and goes through a short diagnostic. With the tripler in it does
nothing at all.

On the schematic the tripler is just a box, with an input, output, and
ground. If the triler is some kind of step up transformer, wouldn't the
resistance across the input and output be infinity? I measured it at a
little over a hundred ohms. Would that indicate a shorted tripler?
That's what I suspect, but I don't know exactly how the tripler is set
up. Any advice?

Rick Brandt

Dec 27, 2006, 5:13:09 PM12/27/06
George Jetson wrote:
> The set is only a few years old, and the flyback is relatively light.
> I also looked at the circuit card and didn't see any marks or cracks
> at all. And to be honest, I'm not sure it's the flyback. There's a
> component called a High Voltage Tripler that sits between the flyback
> and the CRT. When I take the tripler out of the circuit the set powers
> up and goes through a short diagnostic. With the tripler in it does
> nothing at all.
>
> On the schematic the tripler is just a box, with an input, output, and
> ground. If the triler is some kind of step up transformer, wouldn't
> the resistance across the input and output be infinity? I measured it
> at a little over a hundred ohms. Would that indicate a shorted
> tripler? That's what I suspect, but I don't know exactly how the
> tripler is set up. Any advice?

Well any time you take a component out of the circuit and get more functionality
than when it is in place that is pretty good evidence that you are in the right
area, but the real problem might be downstream of the tripler and removing it
from the circuit might also be taking other things out of the circuit that are
the real problem.

That's what sucks about trying to fix this stuff as a consumer. At the shop
they would try the tripler and if that wasn't it they could grab any of a
hundred other parts at their disposal and try them. Ordering your first best
guess on-line, waiting for it to arrive, and then trying it only to find that it
doesn't fix the problem is a hell of a way to make progress. Short of seeing
parts that are visibly damaged it really is a crap-shoot.

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 5:37:08 PM12/27/06

> Well any time you take a component out of the circuit and get more
> functionality than when it is in place that is pretty good evidence
> that you are in the right area, but the real problem might be
> downstream of the tripler and removing it from the circuit might also
> be taking other things out of the circuit that are the real problem.
>
> That's what sucks about trying to fix this stuff as a consumer. At
> the shop they would try the tripler and if that wasn't it they could
> grab any of a hundred other parts at their disposal and try them.
> Ordering your first best guess on-line, waiting for it to arrive, and
> then trying it only to find that it doesn't fix the problem is a hell
> of a way to make progress. Short of seeing parts that are visibly
> damaged it really is a crap-shoot.

If I knew what was inside the tripler I could test it. I have a
schematic of the flyback, but I would have to unsolder it to test, and
I'm trying to avoid that. If I can test the tripler and it turns out
bad, I can avoid unsoldering the flyback.

Ken Weitzel

Dec 27, 2006, 6:18:38 PM12/27/06

George Jetson

Dec 27, 2006, 7:16:15 PM12/27/06
Ken Weitzel <kwei...@shaw.ca> wrote in news:ibDkh.530079$5R2.359199
@pd7urf3no:

> Hi..
>
> http://tpub.com/neets/book7/27m.htm
>
> Ken

Thanks for the info. I tested it, and the tripler is bad. It's shorted
between the primary and the secondary. I'll order a new one and hook it up,
and let everyone in the newsgroup know if it worked. Assuming I don't
electrocute myself. :)

anonymous

Dec 27, 2006, 10:46:52 PM12/27/06
uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

George Jetson

Dec 28, 2006, 3:06:29 AM12/28/06
"anonymous" <budma...@warpmail.net> wrote in

> uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

Positive. It's called a "High Voltage Tripler" on the schematic, and a
picture I found on the internet calls it a tripler.

anonymous

Dec 28, 2006, 4:36:33 AM12/28/06
george I have not messed with consumer stuff very much, but I believe
the so-called triplers in TV sets disappeared quite some time ago. That
thar critter appears to me to be an integrated high voltage
transformer, (aka flyback transformer, aka FBT) The part/sub-part
(whatever) you are calling a tripler is, I believe, actually a divider
network. Note the 2 variable resistors, screen and focus. I doubt it is
bad.

Anyways, reflow any poor solder, especially in high heat areas and the
FBT pins themselves. Check any small value fusible resistors in the FBT
secondary side ckts. Look for white, ceramic heat-sink-bodied resistors
near the FBT, 1 ohm or so in value, about 1-2 watts in physical size,
(cant remember the actual ratings.) Check them with an ohmmeter. You
may have to desolder/lift one end to measure properly.

Chances are good it is either that or the FBT its self, as pointed out
earlier.

If you get the crackle of static when trying to power on, it sounds
like the HV is coming up, then going right back down again. One of the
fbt derived low voltages is fed back <i>somewhere</i>, but the fuse
resistor is open. That could be a cheap easy fix that you may be able
to locate without too much extensive troubleshooting skills or
equipment, do not overlook that possibilty.

anonymous

Dec 28, 2006, 4:48:33 AM12/28/06
hey there will also be somma them thar rectum-fliers in series with the
fbt sec. & them thar fusible resistors, be sure to check them too.
Message has been deleted

Dec 28, 2006, 8:05:14 AM12/28/06
first things first. have you performed the test with the HOT removed
and a 60-100watt bulb across c-e? have you measured the b+? without
these simple tests you could be wasting time or money on the tripler or
whatever. post results.

.B

George Jetson

Dec 28, 2006, 10:48:20 AM12/28/06

> uh, george, are you sure that is not a voltage divider?

I'm sure. The schematic says "High Voltage Tripler".

George Jetson

Dec 28, 2006, 11:11:16 AM12/28/06

> george I have not messed with consumer stuff very much, but I believe
> the so-called triplers in TV sets disappeared quite some time ago. That
> thar critter appears to me to be an integrated high voltage
> transformer, (aka flyback transformer, aka FBT) The part/sub-part
> (whatever) you are calling a tripler is, I believe, actually a divider
> network. Note the 2 variable resistors, screen and focus. I doubt it is
> bad.

The flyback transformer is soldered to the circuit board. There's another
part screwed to a plastic bracket connected to the flyback by a thick
cable. According to the schematic it's a tripler.

anonymous

Dec 28, 2006, 11:21:58 AM12/28/06

sounds like you got it all under control there sparky.
good luck.

George Jetson

Dec 28, 2006, 12:00:43 PM12/28/06

> sounds like you got it all under control there sparky.
> good luck.

I hope so. Thanks for the help.

mm

Jan 5, 2007, 12:20:31 AM1/5/07
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:45:14 GMT, George Jetson <gjet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in
>

>> I do feel free not to offer any advice, and I also feel free to offer
>> it.
>>

>My point is that if you're not convinced of my knowledge of proper safety
>precautions, then don't offer any troubleshooting advice.

I got your point.

You don't seem to have gotten mine. I'll offer advice based on
whether I want to or not, not based on your particular desires.

Other people read this list. Not just you.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

mm

Jan 5, 2007, 12:35:42 AM1/5/07
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:37:22 GMT, George Jetson <gjet...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Charlie Morgan <*@*.com> wrote in

>> If you are not "trying" to be an asshole, then I guess it comes
>> naturally, and without effort for you.
>
>Really, I'm not. I just think that my safety is solely MY
>responsibility, and if I'm comfortable with my level of knowledge in
>this area, then anyone who wishes to help me should accept that I am.

I accept that you are compfortable with your level of knowledge in
that area. Now you should accept that I am NOT comfortable. I can't
rely on what you say, for the reasons Charlie explained very well in
his previous post. (most or all of which is quoted here.)

>> People who have experience
>> working on televisions have an awareness of how how dangerous they are
>> for the smug amateur handyman who thinks he knows all the answers when
>> he doesn't even know what questions to ask. Those who want to make
>> sure you are not one of "those", are merely being responsible and
>> showing concern for your welfare. They are trying to help you without
>> getting you injured or killed. It's not about you or your worthiness.
>> It's about them being responsible and caring.
>
>You speak as if there are numerous people who are concerned about my
>level of expertise in TV repair, and I'm writing replies bashing them
>all.

Replace "those" with me and Charlie. He didn't give a number, and
even "those" might have referred just to me, for that matter.

>Actually, my original response was to one particular person, mm.
>Several people asked about my experience, and I politely answered.
>Several people gave me safety advice, which I gladly accepted. A number
>of people just accepted that I knew enough to work on TV's and offered
>troubleshooting advice. As a matter of fact, YOU were the second person
>to give me advice, with no thought as to my qualifications. By the way,
>thanks for the advice.

>On the other hand, mm flatly called me a liar, and then proceeded to

No, I didn't. I said you hadn't convinced me. And that proof by
assertion wasn't a proof. That doesn't mean you are lying, but it
doesn't convince me that you are right, either.

>quiz me with VERY basic TV troubleshooting questions, implying that he
>wouldn't answer any questions unless I passed the test. Even though I

Other people had answered and would answer your questions. I couldn't
add to what they had said. So I didn't imply that I would answer your
questions at all. You inferred that I meant that, but I didn't.

>was VERY insulted, I just told him that he didn't have to offer any
>advice if he didn't think I was qualified to apply it.

And I was annoyed by that. I guess you are trying to be polite with
the phrase "don't have to offer any advice", but I took it literally.
I know I don't HAVE to offer advice. I did it so you wouldn't get
killed. I went to law school for a little while and one of the three
or four things I learned was how easy it is for someone to get killed
while he thinks he knows how to avoid it, that people are negligent
all the time and most of the time they get away with it, but other
times they end up dead. You can learn the same lesson by watching
America's Funniest Home Videos. Well, they actually won't show any
fatalities or serious injuries but they happen just like the
non-serious injuries they do show.

>That's when you stepped in. Yes, I realize everyone can read my replies,
>but that doesn't mean those replies are directed to everyone. I was
>specifically replying to mm, not you, or anyone else. So if I said
>something to offend you specifically, I apologize. But if you're
>offended by what I said to mm, please keep it to yourself. It's none of
>your business.

This is a public list. If you wanted only me to read it, remove
NOPSAM and email me.

I could try to lighten the tone here like you just did with Charlie,
but something about your posts makes me not want to.

me

Jan 5, 2007, 1:29:34 AM1/5/07
snip

I went to law school for a little while