jeopardy game design request

rfo...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 10:32:19 AM5/14/07
Hi All,

I hope I am not way out of line posting in this forum, but it was the
only one I found where I thought I could get some help.

My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project. He has
decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch like game of
jeopardy; where the first person pressing a button will be allowed to
answer the question. The wiring should not be advanced; as it is a
grade-6 project.

I am not an electrical engineer by any means, so determining the right
combination/architecture of switches/lights/buzzers/relays/? - I
cannot do. Can anyone provide some basic guidance to get us going?

He wants to design it using a piece of wood as the board.

Thanks, in advance,

Richard

martin griffith

May 14, 2007, 11:28:10 AM5/14/07
On 14 May 2007 07:32:19 -0700, in sci.electronics.design
rfo...@gmail.com wrote:

a quick goog found this
http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/Jeopardy.html
which may be a bit advanced, but it is just one circuit repeated many
times.
maybe a more thorough google would find something simpler

martin

MooseFET

May 14, 2007, 11:29:57 AM5/14/07

You are going to need something to prevent the second button from
having any effect. How many buttons do you want to do? The usual
number is 3.

Can you solder electronic stuff?

You can use relays to do the work but the cost will be kind of high.
You can use logic but you will have to work on small stuff.

See:
www.digikey.com and search for: Solderless Breadboard

I think that will get you the right stuff to let you avoid any need to
solder onto small parts.

I'm going to suggest that you use a couple of CD4013B ICs and a
CD4078B.

The nice thing about the CD40XX logic is that it can be powered by
just a 9V battery. There will also be some transistors needed to make
enough power to switch the buzzers.

Take a look and see if it looks like something you can handle.

rfo...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 2:08:19 PM5/14/07
On May 14, 11:29 am, MooseFET <kensm...@rahul.net> wrote:
> On May 14, 7:32 am, rfou...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
>
> > I hope I am not way out of line posting in this forum, but it was the
> > only one I found where I thought I could get some help.
>
> > My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project. He has
> > decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch like game of
> > jeopardy; where the first person pressing a button will be allowed to
> > answer the question. The wiring should not be advanced; as it is a
> > grade-6 project.
>
> > I am not an electrical engineer by any means, so determining the right
> > combination/architecture of switches/lights/buzzers/relays/? - I
> > cannot do. Can anyone provide some basic guidance to get us going?
>
> > He wants to design it using a piece of wood as the board.
>
> You are going to need something to prevent the second button from
> having any effect. How many buttons do you want to do? The usual
> number is 3.
>
> Can you solder electronic stuff?
>
> You can use relays to do the work but the cost will be kind of high.
> You can use logic but you will have to work on small stuff.
>
> See:www.digikey.comand search for: Solderless Breadboard

> I think that will get you the right stuff to let you avoid any need to
> solder onto small parts.
>
> I'm going to suggest that you use a couple of CD4013B ICs and a
> CD4078B.
>
> The nice thing about the CD40XX logic is that it can be powered by
> just a 9V battery. There will also be some transistors needed to make
> enough power to switch the buzzers.
>
> Take a look and see if it looks like something you can handle.- Hide quoted text -

Hi there.

Firstly, thanks for the replies!

I am not that advanced in electronics, so you have to know who you are
dealing with :-)

I found a SOLDERLESS BREADBOARD at the local source store (old
radioshack here in Canada) -
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=PC+board%2fSockets&product=2760169

Can I use this? If so, care to tell me a little more?

We have started to buy some parts and have the following:

- some 20 guage Hook Up wire
- momentary push-button switches
- threaded base lamp holders and bulbs
- double-AA battery holder with color-coded wire leads
- some clips
- mini buzzers

I would appreciate any direction...and don't mind if we have to spend
a little more $$$.

Thanks,

Richard

P.s. we need to do this over the next 2 days :-)

Richard Henry

May 14, 2007, 2:14:09 PM5/14/07
On May 14, 11:08 am, rfou...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 14, 11:29 am, MooseFET <kensm...@rahul.net> wrote:
>

> > On May 14, 7:32 am, rfou...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Hi All,
>
> > > I hope I am not way out of line posting in this forum, but it was the
> > > only one I found where I thought I could get some help.
>
> > > My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project. He has
> > > decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch like game of
> > > jeopardy; where the first person pressing a button will be allowed to
> > > answer the question. The wiring should not be advanced; as it is a
> > > grade-6 project.
>
> > > I am not an electrical engineer by any means, so determining the right
> > > combination/architecture of switches/lights/buzzers/relays/? - I
> > > cannot do. Can anyone provide some basic guidance to get us going?
>
> > > He wants to design it using a piece of wood as the board.
>
> > You are going to need something to prevent the second button from
> > having any effect. How many buttons do you want to do? The usual
> > number is 3.
>
> > Can you solder electronic stuff?
>
> > You can use relays to do the work but the cost will be kind of high.
> > You can use logic but you will have to work on small stuff.
>
> > See:www.digikey.comandsearch for: Solderless Breadboard

> > I think that will get you the right stuff to let you avoid any need to
> > solder onto small parts.
>
> > I'm going to suggest that you use a couple of CD4013B ICs and a
> > CD4078B.
>
> > The nice thing about the CD40XX logic is that it can be powered by
> > just a 9V battery. There will also be some transistors needed to make
> > enough power to switch the buzzers.
>
> > Take a look and see if it looks like something you can handle.- Hide quoted text -

> Hi there.
>
> Firstly, thanks for the replies!
>
> I am not that advanced in electronics, so you have to know who you are
> dealing with :-)
>
> I found a SOLDERLESS BREADBOARD at the local source store (old
> radioshack here in Canada) -http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog...

> Can I use this? If so, care to tell me a little more?
>
> We have started to buy some parts and have the following:
>
> - some 20 guage Hook Up wire
> - momentary push-button switches
> - threaded base lamp holders and bulbs
> - double-AA battery holder with color-coded wire leads
> - some clips
> - mini buzzers
>
> I would appreciate any direction...and don't mind if we have to spend
> a little more $$$.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard
>
> P.s. we need to do this over the next 2 days :-)- Hide quoted text -

A simple non-registered PAL could handle the logic, subject to the
cautions listed below.

Inputs: AButton, BButton, CButton, ClearButton (all pulled up and
active low when pressed)
Oututs: AFirst, BFirst, CFirst.

Players A, B, C have their buttons, controller has Clear Button.
Three indicators are connected to AFirst, BFirst, CFirst outputs.

AFirst = /AButton * BButton * CButton * /BFirst * /CFirst *
ClearButton
+ AFirst * ClearButton;

BFirst = AButton * /BButton * CButton * /AFirst * /CFirst *
ClearButton
+ BFirst * ClearButton;

CFirst = AButton * BButton * /CButton * /AFirst * /BFirst *
ClearButton
+ CFirst * ClearButton;

This method is subject to race conditions between the player inputs,
which might result in multiple "First" indications, or none at all.
This is because there is unavoidable finite setup time for the logic
and propagation delays in the signals being routed back into the
decision matrix.

JeffM

May 14, 2007, 2:46:43 PM5/14/07
rfoulds@ gmail.com wrote:
>My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project.
>He has decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch
>like game of jeopardy
> Richard

As you are already at Google Groups
("The Usenet Archive")--this is Usenet; NOT Google Groups--
a search would have turned up numerous times this has been asked:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=jeopardy+ingroup:sci.electronics&scoring=d

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=jeopardy+ingroup:sci.electronics+author:Kirwan+OR+author:Walz+style.buzzer+OR+decision.maker&scoring=d
To see the diagrams in a monospaced font,
**More options** then **Show original**
(or copy & paste into Notepad).

rfo...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 3:06:45 PM5/14/07
On May 14, 2:46 pm, JeffM <jef...@email.com> wrote:
> rfoulds@ gmail.com wrote:
> >My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project.
> >He has decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch
> >like game of jeopardy
> > Richard
>
> As you are already at Google Groups
> ("The Usenet Archive")--this is Usenet; NOT Google Groups--
> a search would have turned up numerous times this has been asked:http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=jeopardy+ingroup:sci.electro...
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=jeopardy+ingroup:sci.electro...

> To see the diagrams in a monospaced font,
> **More options** then **Show original**
> (or copy & paste into Notepad).

I did this...but all the ones I saw are are too complex for a Grade 6
Science project...I am looking for the most basic version possible.

Thanks,

Richard

Homer J Simpson

May 14, 2007, 3:51:07 PM5/14/07

<rfo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project. He has
> decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch like game of
> jeopardy; where the first person pressing a button will be allowed to
> answer the question. The wiring should not be advanced; as it is a
> grade-6 project.
>
> I am not an electrical engineer by any means, so determining the right
> combination/architecture of switches/lights/buzzers/relays/? - I
> cannot do. Can anyone provide some basic guidance to get us going?

Unfortunately this is not as simple as you might think.

A google for (simple game show buzzer circuit) got a number of hits, home
built like http://www.techlib.com/electronics/games.html

or commercial kits like
http://www.circuithut.com/index.php?/circuit/content/view/full/180 (which
needs a power supply kit also).

Rich Grise

May 14, 2007, 4:41:05 PM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 11:08:19 -0700, rfoulds wrote:

> P.s. we need to do this over the next 2 days :-)

Good grief, When did the kid get the assignment?

And I don't think any of the popular Jeopardy button circuits are
beyond a 6th grader, if the 6th grader bothers to read a book or
two.

You need to learn to get an earlier start on your homework.

Good Luck!
Rich

rfo...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 5:26:44 PM5/14/07

I believe there are other newsgroups for people who look to just
spreading noise.

martin griffith

May 14, 2007, 6:10:47 PM5/14/07
On 14 May 2007 14:26:44 -0700, in sci.electronics.design
rfo...@gmail.com wrote:

I think you are unjust about our Mad Rich.

I took 10 mins to work out a simple system, but it would not be bug
free, there can often be "backdoor" or unintended circuit paths, which
are somewhat undesirable, and to create on a block of wood, by
tomorrow, som3what difficult

It can be done with simple relays (costly) and a few transistors, and
many many diodes, which would be suitable for a kid, but boring.

Mucking around with a few logic gates would be much more satisfying,
educational as well

A bit more notice would have been nice

martin

J.A. Legris

May 14, 2007, 6:13:13 PM5/14/07

Here's a nice simple design that can be extended if necessary. If you
also want buzzers, place them instead of (or in parallel with) the
lamps.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65791337@N00/498510014/

--
Joe

rfo...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 6:35:01 PM5/14/07
> martin- Hide quoted text -

Mad Rich? May be appropriate.

I only have 2 days with my son to do this; I am not with him after
that...not that it should matter to anyone in this group!?

Thanks for the replies that help/guide.

Richard

John Fields

May 14, 2007, 8:09:38 PM5/14/07

---
Well, in all fairness, it's not our responsibility to make sure that
he gets his assignment done on time. And when the request for help
was posted with so little time left, well...

So far, Joe Legris's suggestion to use the circuit at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65791337@N00/498510014/

is the best one. The wiring is simple and you can probably get the
relays at your "local source". Print out the schematic and take it
over there and they can probably help you select the components you
need that you haven't already bought.

Good luck.

--
JF

rfo...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 9:27:12 PM5/14/07
On May 14, 8:09 pm, John Fields <jfie...@austininstruments.com> wrote:
> JF- Hide quoted text -

What does why there are only 2 days have to do with anything? It's
just a deadline. Are you incapable of providing a solution, with a
time constraint, without trying to criticize the deadline?

On the solution side, thanks for the recommendations.

Richard

MooseFET

May 14, 2007, 9:37:43 PM5/14/07
On May 14, 11:08 am, rfou...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 14, 11:29 am, MooseFET <kensm...@rahul.net> wrote:
>

> > On May 14, 7:32 am, rfou...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Hi All,
>
> > > I hope I am not way out of line posting in this forum, but it was the
> > > only one I found where I thought I could get some help.
>
> > > My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project. He has
> > > decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch like game of
> > > jeopardy; where the first person pressing a button will be allowed to
> > > answer the question. The wiring should not be advanced; as it is a
> > > grade-6 project.
>
> > > I am not an electrical engineer by any means, so determining the right
> > > combination/architecture of switches/lights/buzzers/relays/? - I
> > > cannot do. Can anyone provide some basic guidance to get us going?
>
> > > He wants to design it using a piece of wood as the board.
>
> > You are going to need something to prevent the second button from
> > having any effect. How many buttons do you want to do? The usual
> > number is 3.
>
> > Can you solder electronic stuff?
>
> > You can use relays to do the work but the cost will be kind of high.
> > You can use logic but you will have to work on small stuff.
>
> > See:www.digikey.comandsearch for: Solderless Breadboard

> > I think that will get you the right stuff to let you avoid any need to
> > solder onto small parts.
>
> > I'm going to suggest that you use a couple of CD4013B ICs and a
> > CD4078B.
>
> > The nice thing about the CD40XX logic is that it can be powered by
> > just a 9V battery. There will also be some transistors needed to make
> > enough power to switch the buzzers.
>
> > Take a look and see if it looks like something you can handle.- Hide quoted text -

> Hi there.
>
> Firstly, thanks for the replies!
>
> I am not that advanced in electronics, so you have to know who you are
> dealing with :-)
>
> I found a SOLDERLESS BREADBOARD at the local source store (old
> radioshack here in Canada) -http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog...

> Can I use this? If so, care to tell me a little more?
>
> We have started to buy some parts and have the following:
>
> - some 20 guage Hook Up wire
> - momentary push-button switches
> - threaded base lamp holders and bulbs
> - double-AA battery holder with color-coded wire leads
> - some clips
> - mini buzzers
>
> I would appreciate any direction...and don't mind if we have to spend
> a little more $$$.

The circuit with 3 relays is likely to be the quickest to build, if
you can get the relays.

BTW: The "clear" button needs to open the connection when pressed not
close it. A single pole, single throw switch will work for it since
nobody needs to do it quickly.

Haude Daniel

May 15, 2007, 6:05:33 AM5/15/07
rfo...@gmail.com wrote:

> What does why there are only 2 days have to do with anything? It's
> just a deadline. Are you incapable of providing a solution, with a
> time constraint, without trying to criticize the deadline?

Who do you think we are? A help desk? This is a discussion forum, so
whatever you bring here will get discussed. If you want "no questions
asked", go find a local professional who will build this thing for
you and pay him accordingly.

Two days of deadline is ridiculously short for someone without any
background in electronics. Any of us here could lash up that relay
circuit within an hour, but there's always a chance of having made
a mistake, and without any experience you're going to find it hard
to troubleshoot it. And then you probably want it to look nice, too...

Good luck.

--Daniel

rfo...@gmail.com

May 15, 2007, 8:20:49 AM5/15/07
On May 15, 6:05 am, dha...@alpha41.physnet.uni-hamburg.de (Haude
Daniel) wrote:

Thanks to all those who provided helpful responses! We went with the
3-player Jeopardy game, that was graciously provided here, and just
finished it this am. We're just painting the board.

Thanks again for all the help!

Richard

Rich Grise

May 15, 2007, 12:43:50 PM5/15/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:27:12 -0700, rfoulds wrote:
> On May 14, 8:09 pm, John Fields <jfie...@austininstruments.com> wrote:
>> So far, Joe Legris's suggestion to use the circuit at:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/65791337@N00/498510014/
>>
>> is the best one. The wiring is simple and you can probably get the
>> relays at your "local source". Print out the schematic and take it
>> over there and they can probably help you select the components you
>> need that you haven't already bought.
>
> What does why there are only 2 days have to do with anything? It's
> just a deadline. Are you incapable of providing a solution, with a
> time constraint, without trying to criticize the deadline?

John just did.

How long did you procrastinate before getting started on the assignment?

Have you tried http://www.google.com/search?jeopardy+buttons+circuit ?

Good Luck!
Rich

JeffM

May 15, 2007, 1:43:17 PM5/15/07

Rich Grise wrote:
>John just did.
>
>How long did you procrastinate before getting started on the assignment?
>Have you tried http://www.google.com/search?jeopardy+buttons+circuit ?

Something even more specific was offered
with the response **That's too hard**:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/msg/8187f1976f36c418?q=*-groups.google.com/groups/search-*-*-*-*-*

In retrospect, I think a better life lesson for the procrastinator
(trying to do something beyond his skill level--even when copying
verbatim)
would have been to have given no assistance
and allow the kid to get a failing grade.

Ken Moffett

May 18, 2007, 8:04:11 PM5/18/07
rfo...@gmail.com wrote in

Though too late for the OP, and probably way too complex from
him and his son:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=67xjm9s

This is a Jeopardy game control that I built several years
ago for one of our Biology instructors. She wanted it to do a
"fun" pre-final prep with her students. It's been used at my
college, the college she moved to, and for our annual staff
appreciation week "game show". It's based on the a design
at:

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/games.html

It has the advantage of only needing two wires to the
"contestent controls", so they can be run out on long speaker
wire to people around a lecture hall, or daisy-chained at
tables. I added a couple more features:

A light controlled by the MC to indicate when they had
finished reading the question and the contestents could then
respond.

A light and buzzer to indicate a contestant had tried to
respond before the question was completed.

It was built quickly, out of parts on hand, so there may be
many ways to simplify or improve it.

The only part that seemed a little putzy was selecting the
zener (DA2) on the contestant control. Using a regulated
power supply would probably have made the more straight
forward.

Have fun.

Ken

Fred Bloggs

May 19, 2007, 9:00:15 AM5/19/07

Very nice circuits...

Ken Moffett

May 19, 2007, 1:01:49 PM5/19/07
Fred Bloggs <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in

I quickly did the schematic yesterday, and took another look
at it today. I think I made an error in the contacts for
RLY3. I think they were supposed to be N/C, and in series
with the START switch, rather than in parallel. I'll have
check with my handdrawn schematic Monday at work. It's been
in use for about 4 years, and has never failed. Also the
START and RESET switched are in a pendent in the MC's hand.
The contestant controls are in small rectangular, plastic
boxes with the the lamp on the top, the cord out the bottom,
and the button on the side near the top, for a comfortable
handheld.

Ken

Ken Moffett

May 23, 2007, 6:23:41 PM5/23/07
On May 19, 12:01 pm, Ken Moffett <KLMoff...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Fred Bloggs <nos...@nospam.com> wrote innews:464EF4DD...@nospam.com:
>

> > Ken Moffett wrote:
> >> rfou...@gmail.com wrote in

I had posted a schematic for my Jeopardy game control last week. I
discovered a couple of errors, and have posted a correct version on
TinyPics:

http://i18.tinypic.com/4uenm6a.jpg