What does J-K in J-K flip flop indicate?

1 view

Prasad

Oct 4, 2004, 4:38:48 PM10/4/04
In case of all other flip flops ,the names indicate something about their function.
R-S:Reset-Set
T:toggle
D-delay or data

then what does j-k in j-k flip flop indicate.
reply me if u know anything about this.

Bob Stephens

Oct 4, 2004, 4:56:38 PM10/4/04

John Kerry!!!

Bob

Joerg

Oct 4, 2004, 4:57:19 PM10/4/04
Hi Prasad,

I believe that was in honor of Jack Kilby (J.K.) who invented the IC.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Jonathan Kirwan

Oct 4, 2004, 6:17:02 PM10/4/04
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:57:19 GMT, Joerg <notthis...@removethispacbell.net>
wrote:

>I believe that was in honor of Jack Kilby (J.K.) who invented the IC.

Shucks, and here I was hoping it might be... my name. ;)

Jon

Rich Grise

Oct 4, 2004, 8:42:18 PM10/4/04
On Monday 04 October 2004 01:38 pm, Prasad did deign to grace us with the
following:

It sounds so mundane, but I actually think they picked them because they
were the next letters in sequence to designate arbitrary stuff, much the
same way that they use Q for transistors, and U for ICs. E is volts, F is
Farads, G is conductance, H is hysteresis or Henrys or something to do
with the black magic of magnetics, I is duh, so J and K were next.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

JeffM

Oct 5, 2004, 12:08:59 AM10/5/04
>I believe that was in honor of Jack Kilby (J.K.) who invented the IC.
> Joerg

"One of the inventors" or "co-inventor".
We wouldn't want to dis Bob Noyce (a kinda Newton/Leibniz thing).

Robert Morein

Oct 5, 2004, 12:34:31 AM10/5/04

"Rich Grise" <nu...@example.net> wrote in message
Could be, since "i,j,k" are commonly reserved by mathematicians for the
names of indices.

John Woodgate

Oct 5, 2004, 3:23:22 AM10/5/04
I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise <nu...@example.net>
wrote (in <K5m8d.4324$cd1.835@trnddc03>) about 'What does J-K in J-K
flip flop indicate?', on Tue, 5 Oct 2004:
I think it's much more likely that they are just one of the
mathematicians' favoured pairs of symbols for variables. They are
particularly used as subscripts for array variables and indexes for
summations. R and S are another such pair and there is an R-S inside the
J-K, so the choice of another such pair to describe the more complex
configuration seems logical.

Jim Thompson

Oct 5, 2004, 10:52:26 AM10/5/04

Nope. It was Jack S. who conceived of the multi-layer diffused
integrated circuit...

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/kilbyctr/jackstclair.shtml

Noyce (and many others) applied Kilby's ideas, and often get called
the "inventor", but they were just implementers...

http://www.pbs.org/transistor/album1/addlbios/noyce.html

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Rich Grise

Oct 5, 2004, 12:11:01 PM10/5/04
On Tuesday 05 October 2004 12:23 am, John Woodgate did deign to grace us
with the following:

> I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise <nu...@example.net>

>>It sounds so mundane, but I actually think they picked them because they

>>were the next letters in sequence to designate arbitrary stuff, much the
>>same way that they use Q for transistors, and U for ICs. E is volts, F is
>>Farads, G is conductance, H is hysteresis or Henrys or something to do
>>with the black magic of magnetics, I is duh, so J and K were next.
>>
> I think it's much more likely that they are just one of the
> mathematicians' favoured pairs of symbols for variables. They are
> particularly used as subscripts for array variables and indexes for
> summations. R and S are another such pair and there is an R-S inside the
> J-K, so the choice of another such pair to describe the more complex
> configuration seems logical.
> --

I was assuming that the "R" was "Reset" and the "S" was "Set." But what
could "J" and "K" stand for? :-)

Thanks,
Rich

John Woodgate

Oct 5, 2004, 12:23:39 PM10/5/04
I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise <nu...@example.net>
wrote (in <pIz8d.4727$Sl2.2910@trnddc09>) about 'What does J-K in J-K

flip flop indicate?', on Tue, 5 Oct 2004:

>I was assuming that the "R" was "Reset" and the "S" was "Set." But what

>could "J" and "K" stand for? :-)

Jog and Kick, of course. What do you think Q and Q-bar stand for? And
the D in D-type and the T in T-type.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

slawc

Oct 5, 2004, 5:04:37 PM10/5/04
John Woodgate wrote:

> I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise <nu...@example.net>
> wrote (in <pIz8d.4727$Sl2.2910@trnddc09>) about 'What does J-K in J-K
> flip flop indicate?', on Tue, 5 Oct 2004:
>

>>I was assuming that the "R" was "Reset" and the "S" was "Set." But what
>>could "J" and "K" stand for? :-)
>

> Jog and Kick, of course. What do you think Q and Q-bar stand for? And
> the D in D-type and the T in T-type.

Jump, Kill
Delay
Toggle

Rich Grise

Oct 6, 2004, 10:10:52 AM10/6/04
On Tuesday 05 October 2004 02:04 pm, slawc did deign to grace us with the
following:

> John Woodgate wrote:

Data

> Toggle

Quantity. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Mike

Oct 6, 2004, 10:58:07 AM10/6/04
On 4 Oct 2004 13:38:48 -0700, Prasad wrote:

Here's a post from Max Hauser (search for J-K):

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=100ukpt83k5aq79%40corp.supernews.com&output=gplain

This version seems somewhat more likely that the oft-reported but
unsupported claim that they stand for Jack Kilby.

-- Mike --

Joerg

Oct 7, 2004, 6:29:50 PM10/7/04
Hi Mike,

>This version seems somewhat more likely that the oft-reported but
>unsupported claim that they stand for Jack Kilby.

Could very well be. John Kardash is often mentioned as the inventor of
the JK flip-flop. I think he is still on the Taracom management team. So
we could ask him ;-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

John Miles

Oct 10, 2004, 1:56:10 PM10/10/04
In article <yrj9d.25611$QJ3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
notthis...@removethispacbell.net says...

John Kerry?

-- jm (yeah, I know...)

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

Max Hauser

Oct 25, 2004, 11:48:24 PM10/25/04
Mike <mi...@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<1xzahdt28ku7y.3...@40tude.net>...
> -- Mike --

Thank you Mike. Those of short memory, hearken `way back to
21-January and this same topic (some of the same people were
involved). Following an Old-Fart electronics quiz (re-post from this
newsgroup 17 years before, when still just sci.electronics). Or,
search under the name John J. Kardash (he shows up in the "JK FF"
context a wide range of sources, online and off). The January mention
here is accessible now via

http://tinyurl.com/6k6tl

and the list of quiz answers is here

http://tinyurl.com/6p7cw

Historical notes: [1] Should anyone actually read the original 1987
posted answers, please note that the phrase "electronics hackers"
meant "hackers" in the traditional, or pre-Hollywood, sense (much more
common in 1987 than today). I heard that exact phrase in 1974 from
the late professor David Adler who acknowledged "all sorts of
electronics hackers" at MIT. [2] Correction from January posting:
Bill Hewlett's lightweight prototype oscillator weighed 18 pounds, not
14. I lately had reason to check his Stanford thesis of June 1939.
(The 93-pound state of the art from General Radio was accurate as
stated.)

-- Max

(fiat lux / mens et manus)

uvc...@juno.com

Oct 26, 2004, 10:01:56 AM10/26/04

I cannot believe that with all the politics in this group, no one has pointed
out that the J-K in a flip flop is:

J is for John
K is for Kerry

Stop hating each other for a few minutes and pay attention :-)

Ratch

Oct 27, 2004, 10:26:41 AM10/27/04

<uvc...@juno.com> wrote in message

> I cannot believe that with all the politics in this group, no one has
pointed
> out that the J-K in a flip flop is:
>
> J is for John
> K is for Kerry

That's good, really good! Ratch

Mark Zenier

Oct 26, 2004, 7:17:00 PM10/26/04
In article <417e5970$1$ouf73$mr2...@giganews.aros.net>,

Internal schematic of a Bush FF

Pwr
_____|_______
| | |
| +-------|- /Q
Data | |
---------------|-----+ |
| | |
Clock | | |
---------------|-----+ |
| | |
| +-------|- Q
| | |
|_____|_______|

Gnd

Notes: (1) the outputs appear as valid logic levels but never change.
(2) Any inputs that can change the output are forced to Ground.

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Robert Monsen

Oct 27, 2004, 2:13:58 PM10/27/04

The model needs a resistor between data and ground, because there always
seems to be lots of resistance to any new data, whether it's used or not.

--
Regards,
Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
- Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.

Marlboro

Oct 27, 2004, 4:54:35 PM10/27/04
"Ratch" <Wat...@Comcast.net> wrote in message news:<BeOfd.534429$8_6.496801@attbi_s04>...

It was JFK, but the K is dropped out after he got shot.