Imperative need for big Geostationary Orbital Magnet Thing

Genome

Feb 20, 2006, 1:42:34 PM2/20/06
Now the world is threatened by bird flu we need to act a bit promptly and
launch said device to reverse the apparent magnetic field of Earth so birds
emigrate back to where they came from.

Bugger, problem with plan..... Errrrrr, no that works. Geostationary above
equator with N S poles correctly the right (or other way up). Don't use big
ones... use lots of small ones.

DNA

John Larkin

Feb 20, 2006, 2:28:08 PM2/20/06
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:42:34 GMT, "Genome" <ilike...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

How about a big loop of wire [1] in geostationary orbit, powered by a
solar array or nukes? Or even a lower orbit?

Sounds like "Ringworld", which, as I recall, somebody determined to be
dynamically unstable.

We may need this soon, as the earth is approaching another field
reversal, with a nasty period of near-zero field during the crossover.

John

[1] 22,500 * 2 * pi miles of wire. Oxygen-free, of course, to not mess
up the music of the spheres.

Genome

Feb 20, 2006, 3:20:35 PM2/20/06

"John Larkin" <jjla...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message

You have invoked Prattchitt which makes you leftways the other side of your
arse up an elephants head.... Or is that an elephants head up your arse....
or.... anyway. Plus you are American so you'd probably bury the wire inside
the planet having had problems with the French dimensional equivalent of
standard units even though a quick reality check would demonstrate that your
head might fit up an elephants arse but you wouldn't do that..... well you
might but I just thought I'd point out my perception of your mistake.

Anyway Bruce Willis is busy but I have e-mailed those Russian ship launching
rocket thing type people and they have explained that it is the ship that
launches the rocket and not the other things. I have e-mailed back and
clarified that we don't want to launch the sea so they know I am clued up on
this interplanetary stuff.

For fucks sake, stop mentioning the nukes.... someone will notice. However I
do agree that if we do the multiple equator detonations and time things
right for the surface/subsurface waves to wobble things about then blow off
the big polar nukes then the planet should crack in half. I still haven't
done the sums about where the sea ends up but that's just details.

How's the compositor coming along, wink wink?

DNA

Kryten

Feb 20, 2006, 5:46:56 PM2/20/06
I heard talk of giving birds contraceptives to reduce their population, but
then you have to persuade the birds to wear them.

John Fields

Feb 20, 2006, 6:07:51 PM2/20/06

---
Hmm... I thought most of them were on the pill nowadays.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Rich Grise, but drunk

Feb 20, 2006, 6:53:38 PM2/20/06
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:28:08 -0800, John Larkin wrote:

> We may need this soon, as the earth is approaching another field
> reversal, with a nasty period of near-zero field during the crossover.

I saw T3 last night. It was pretty cute, actually, especially the part
when the guy says, "NO! I mean, the world is ending TODAY! At 6:43 PM,
that's three hours from now!" (or something like that.)

What would you do if you knew for certain that the world was going to
end in three hours?

Me, I'd probably drink the rest of my booze, smoke the rest of my pot,
and go out trying to masturbate. ;-P

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise, but drunk

Feb 20, 2006, 6:58:19 PM2/20/06
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:28:08 -0800, John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:42:34 GMT, "Genome" <ilike...@yahoo.co.uk>
>
>>Now the world is threatened by bird flu we need to act a bit promptly and
>>launch said device to reverse the apparent magnetic field of Earth so birds
>>emigrate back to where they came from.

Nah - bird flu is a myth - see my other post, I've figured out the whole
scam.

>>Bugger, problem with plan..... Errrrrr, no that works. Geostationary above
>>equator with N S poles correctly the right (or other way up). Don't use big
>>ones... use lots of small ones.
>

> How about a big loop of wire [1] in geostationary orbit, powered by a
> solar array or nukes? Or even a lower orbit?
>
> Sounds like "Ringworld", which, as I recall, somebody determined to be
> dynamically unstable.

Well, the time I read "Ringworld" (and actually, there were a couple
others that I read before I read the original) there were rockets around
the perimeter that fired as needed to keep it centered. ISTR somebody
in one of the stories mentioning "Bussard ramjets", but those wouldn't
work - you have to be going at a significant fraction of C; unless
they were scooping up the stellar wind and just using ion propulsion -
it probably didn't take much thrust just to keep a thing like that
on orbit.

Thanks!

Yukio YANO

Feb 20, 2006, 8:01:28 PM2/20/06
Rich Grise, but drunk wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:28:08 -0800, John Larkin wrote:
>

>>We may need this soon, as the earth is approaching another field
>>reversal, with a nasty period of near-zero field during the crossover.
>

> I saw T3 last night. It was pretty cute, actually, especially the part
> when the guy says, "NO! I mean, the world is ending TODAY! At 6:43 PM,
> that's three hours from now!" (or something like that.)
>
> How Could you know for certain that the world was going to
> end in three hours?
>
> That's a simple one to answer !

That's when "The guy" blows his "brains out". For him it IS the end of
the world as he knows it. Otherwise he is a hypocrite and does not
believe his own words !!! Be careful for what you wish !

Yukio YANO

Rich Grise, but drunk

Feb 21, 2006, 2:21:20 PM2/21/06

Well, speaking of perspective, the world as I knew it at age 5 ended
pretty abruptly when they started making me go to school. ;-)

Thanks!

Tim Williams

Feb 21, 2006, 5:01:15 PM2/21/06
"Rich Grise, but drunk" <yahr...@example.net> wrote in message

> Well, speaking of perspective, the world as I knew it at age 5 ended
> pretty abruptly when they started making me go to school. ;-)

I never went to school. What is this world you speak of? ;-)~~

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

John Fields

Feb 21, 2006, 6:14:54 PM2/21/06
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:21:20 GMT, "Rich Grise, but drunk"
<yahr...@example.net> wrote:

>Well, speaking of perspective, the world as I knew it at age 5 ended
>pretty abruptly when they started making me go to school. ;-)

---
Jesus, Rich, this is sci.electronics.design, not rich's.blog, so why
do you persist in posting that kind of shit?

Nobody cares about your upbringing, nobody cares about your stupid
quest for commercial spirituality, and no one cares about your
alcoholic visions.

Truth be told, if you'd have been Joseph Smith in that place and
time, the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
would have to call themselves Morons.

Kryten

Feb 21, 2006, 7:41:20 PM2/21/06
"John Fields" <jfi...@austininstruments.com> wrote in message

>>I heard talk of giving birds contraceptives to reduce their population,
>>but
>>then you have to persuade the birds to wear them.

> Hmm... I thought most of them were on the pill nowadays.

I'm sure female birds would think
"Oh that is just so like a guy, assume the woman takes the
responsibility"...

:-)

Spehro Pefhany

Feb 21, 2006, 7:57:47 PM2/21/06

John Fields -> Austin Texas -> Austin Powers => bird == young female

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com