silicon for sealing connectors

Andrey

Nov 1, 2006, 9:15:19 PM11/1/06
Hello All,
Question: can I use silicon for sealing connectors with exposed conductors?
If so, which spicific silicon I should use?

(I tried some generic tube from home depot and surface of the solder joints
got all gray in few days. Then I read on the tube it contains acid.)

Thank you,

Andre

Phil Allison

Nov 1, 2006, 9:22:33 PM11/1/06

"Andrey

> Question: can I use silicon for sealing connectors with exposed
> conductors? If so, which spicific silicon I should use?

** Any one that is labelled as " Non Acid ", " Neutral Cure " or as being
suitable for use with metals.

Typically intended as a roof and gutter sealant or for automotive repairs.

> (I tried some generic tube from home depot and surface of the solder
> joints got all gray in few days. Then I read on the tube it contains
> acid.)

** Smells strongly of acetic acid - right ??

Must be avoided.

...... Phil

Boris Mohar

Nov 1, 2006, 9:32:39 PM11/1/06

RTV162 by GE

It is not self leveling so it can be somewhat messy. Excellent adhesion.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Message has been deleted

GregS

Nov 2, 2006, 8:33:30 AM11/2/06
In article <4qt338F...@individual.net>, "Phil Allison" <phila...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>"Andrey
>
>> Question: can I use silicon for sealing connectors with exposed
>> conductors? If so, which spicific silicon I should use?

Most anything called sensor safe sold in auto parts stores should be OK.

greg

>** Any one that is labelled as " Non Acid ", " Neutral Cure " or as being
>suitable for use with metals.
>
>Typically intended as a roof and gutter sealant or for automotive repairs.
>

>> (I tried some generic tube from home depot and surface of the solder
>> joints got all gray in few days. Then I read on the tube it contains
>> acid.)
>

>** Smells strongly of acetic acid - right ??
>
> Must be avoided.
>

>....... Phil

JeffM

Nov 2, 2006, 2:55:10 PM11/2/06
gfretwell@ aol.com wrote:
>Get Dow/Corning 111. That is basically spark plug boot grease.
>It a sealant that never hardens, high dielectric strength
>and will not attack metals or plastics.

Gawd, I hate X-No-Archive.
If there's anything more selfish, I haven't seen it.

Jim Thompson

Nov 2, 2006, 3:08:52 PM11/2/06

Pompous assholes afraid of leaving a "paper" trail ?:-)

Agent provides for ignoring "X-No-Archive" in follow-ups, so it's easy
to negate such asshole actions ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

dagmarg...@yahoo.com

Nov 3, 2006, 1:01:30 PM11/3/06

I'm mixed on using it myself.

PLUSES: It might improve s/n -- it's getting harder and harder to
find things. Saves us from, at some future time--when we're older and
wiser--regretting dumb stuff we might have said in our youth ;-).
NEGATIVES: When posting real, technical info, deprives future
searchers of the data, thwarting one of the mind-amplifying benefits of
this new medium.

All-in-all, if gfretwell wants to take part in today's conversation
but doesn't want it recorded for all eternity, I figure he has that
right, and I've none to complain.

Best,
James Arthur

Message has been deleted

Jim Thompson

Nov 3, 2006, 7:42:49 PM11/3/06
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:49:23 -0500, gfre...@aol.com wrote:

>I never really thought about it. I am guessing that is the default in
>Agent

Agent default is X-NO-ARCHIVE un-checked and don't respect the request
in follow-ups.