OT: What's up with Network TV?

Rich Grise

Nov 4, 2004, 12:57:08 AM11/4/04
Why is it that with all the technology and stuff, competing networks
insist on putting good shows right on top of each other, instead of
finding time slots when everybody isn't buying the competition?

23 hours of crap, and one hour when you get to pick between the
only shows that are worth bothering to watch? (which means, of course,
that you can't see the other show, unless you're a very clever channel-
surfer, or have multiple video paraphernalia?)

Thanks,
Rich

Active8

Nov 4, 2004, 6:55:17 AM11/4/04

It's called ad revenue.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Jim Thompson

Nov 4, 2004, 9:25:07 AM11/4/04
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:55:17 -0500, Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net>
wrote:

What's worth watching on TV?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Fred Bloggs

Nov 4, 2004, 9:42:34 AM11/4/04

Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:55:17 -0500, Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net>
> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 05:57:08 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:
>>

>>>Why is it that with all the technology and stuff, competing networks
>>>insist on putting good shows right on top of each other, instead of
>>>finding time slots when everybody isn't buying the competition?
>>>
>>>23 hours of crap, and one hour when you get to pick between the
>>>only shows that are worth bothering to watch? (which means, of course,
>>>that you can't see the other show, unless you're a very clever channel-
>>>surfer, or have multiple video paraphernalia?)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Rich
>>
>>It's called ad revenue.
>

> What's worth watching on TV?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Bill Moyers, Frontline, Nature, and NOVA on PBS...

John Larkin

Nov 4, 2004, 11:25:20 AM11/4/04
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 07:25:07 -0700, Jim Thompson
<thegr...@example.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 06:55:17 -0500, Active8 <reply...@ndbbm.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 05:57:08 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:
>>
>>> Why is it that with all the technology and stuff, competing networks
>>> insist on putting good shows right on top of each other, instead of
>>> finding time slots when everybody isn't buying the competition?
>>>
>>> 23 hours of crap, and one hour when you get to pick between the
>>> only shows that are worth bothering to watch? (which means, of course,
>>> that you can't see the other show, unless you're a very clever channel-
>>> surfer, or have multiple video paraphernalia?)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rich
>>
>>It's called ad revenue.
>
>What's worth watching on TV?
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Masterpiece Theater, and sometimes Mystery. And the occasional
documentary on the Hitler Channel.

John

Glenn Gundlach

Nov 4, 2004, 11:40:36 AM11/4/04
Rich Grise <ri...@example.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.04....@example.net>...

TiVo or VCR or video capture for your computer. BTW, haven't they
always tried to do that?
gg

Jim Thompson

Nov 4, 2004, 11:51:55 AM11/4/04

_Occasionally_ PBS runs something worth watching, although, anymore,
it seems that the only time they run good stuff is during "gimme
week".

I presume you mean "History" Channel ?:-)

I also, sometimes, enjoy Oliver North's "War Stories".

John Larkin

Nov 4, 2004, 1:30:46 PM11/4/04
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 09:51:55 -0700, Jim Thompson
<thegr...@example.com> wrote:

>>>What's worth watching on TV?
>>>
>>> ...Jim Thompson
>>

>>Masterpiece Theater, and sometimes Mystery. And the occasional
>>documentary on the Hitler Channel.
>>
>>John
>>

>_Occasionally_ PBS runs something worth watching, although, anymore,
>it seems that the only time they run good stuff is during "gimme
>week".

"Occasionally" is right. Our PBS station spent all their money on a
huge fancy office/studio which is mostly cold and empty, so they can't
afford programming. They run stupid stuff like the S&G Concert in the
Park, and the Heart of Glass infomercial, and *stupid* British
sitcoms, over and over.

>I presume you mean "History" Channel ?:-)

Oh, yeah, they do call it that.

John

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 4, 2004, 10:14:58 PM11/4/04
Glenn Gundlach wrote:

[snip]

> TiVo or VCR or video capture for your computer.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Digital TV is supposed to implement a
protection flag that will prohibit recording. You have until the end of
this year to buy a DTV
tuner (or tuner card) without this feature.

Of course, analog VCRs will work as long as your digital tuner has
analog outputs.

> BTW, haven't they always tried to do that?

Of course. Its not about maximizing viewable hours. The advertising
dollars are fixed, so watching one hour from network 'A' isn't the same
as watching one hour from 'A', one from 'B', etc. The same dollars just
get spread thinner.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com
If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,

JeffM

Nov 5, 2004, 4:29:37 AM11/5/04
>>>What's worth watching on TV?
>>> Jim Thompson

::Bill Moyers, Frontline, Nature, and NOVA on PBS
:: Fred Bloggs

>>Masterpiece Theater, and sometimes Mystery
>> John Larkin

>_Occasionally_ PBS runs something worth watching, although, anymore,
>it seems that the only time they run good stuff
>is during "gimme week".
> Jim Thompson

While Secrets of the Dead was in active production, it was excellent.
Don't forget American Experience.
Gotta see Norm, Tommy, and Rich each week: This Old House, Ask This Old House
For good talk: Ben Wattenberg's Think Tank,
Charlie Rose (well sometimes--you gotta check) http://boards.charlierose.com
For a reminder of how, without someone with brains in the family,
the stupid ones would all be dead: The Simpsons, Arrested Development
For nostalgia (good background tunes): American Dreams
To watch David Spader act weird and keep a straight face: Boston Legal
Just because: Two and a Half Men, Blue Collar TV
My weekly dose of action: Third Watch
To see how it would be done
if there was a guy with a brain in the White House: The West Wing

Jim Thompson

Nov 5, 2004, 10:02:24 AM11/5/04
On 5 Nov 2004 01:29:37 -0800, jef...@email.com (JeffM) wrote:

[snip]

>To watch David Spader act weird and keep a straight face: Boston Legal

[snip]

My wife gets all hostile with me because I find Spader funny.

Keith Williams

Nov 5, 2004, 10:20:10 AM11/5/04
In article <u5nko05se9f33irs1...@4ax.com>,
thegr...@example.com says...

I watch THC quite a bit (of the TV I watch). "Mail Call" is a hoot.

--
Keith

Ken Smith

Nov 5, 2004, 11:05:07 AM11/5/04
In article <sseko0d7cs2iiuf5b...@4ax.com>,
Jim Thompson <thegr...@example.com> wrote:
[...]

>What's worth watching on TV?

About 5 hours a week's worth:

The Daily Show
Nova
Nature
Re-runs of Red Dwarf
Re-runs of Yes Minister

kens...@rahul.net forging knowledge

John Larkin

Nov 5, 2004, 1:02:57 PM11/5/04
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:05:07 +0000 (UTC), kens...@green.rahul.net (Ken
Smith) wrote:

>In article <sseko0d7cs2iiuf5b...@4ax.com>,
>Jim Thompson <thegr...@example.com> wrote:
>[...]
>>What's worth watching on TV?
>
>About 5 hours a week's worth:
>
>The Daily Show
>Nova
>Nature
>Re-runs of Red Dwarf
>Re-runs of Yes Minister

Don Lancaster wrote a book about the secrets of starting and running a
successful business. As I recall, his first two rules were something
like

Buy a good pair of diagonal cutters

Cut off the power cord of your television.

John

JeffM

Nov 5, 2004, 1:59:46 PM11/5/04
>>TiVo or VCR or video capture for your computer
>> Glenn Gundlach

>Enjoy it while it lasts. Digital TV is supposed to implement a
>protection flag that will prohibit recording. You have until the end of
>this year to buy a DTV tuner (or tuner card) without this feature.
> Paul Hovnanian

Mostly correct.
It's called the Broadcast Flag and the magic date is July 1, 2005
(unless god sees fit to hit Michael Powell with a bolt of lightning before then).
http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag

Rich Grise

Nov 5, 2004, 2:08:03 PM11/5/04
On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:29:37 -0800, JeffM wrote:

> To watch David Spader act weird and keep a straight face: Boston Legal

It's James Spader. And yes, I love that character! You might be
thinking of David Spade, that weird little comedianoid who plays
"Finch" on "Just Shoot Me."

Cheers!
Rich

Spehro Pefhany

Nov 5, 2004, 2:24:04 PM11/5/04

If you didn't unplug it first, go buy another pair of diagonal
cutters. ;-)

Clarence

Nov 5, 2004, 2:32:21 PM11/5/04

"JeffM" <jef...@email.com> wrote in message

> To see how it would be done
> if there was a guy with a brain in the White House: The West Wing

Ha-Ha! I always thought his show was a comedy, they do every think wrong and
it all comes out okay in the end! Sure!!!

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 5, 2004, 10:37:01 PM11/5/04

That's what I was thinking of. I just haven't been keeping close track,
other than reading warnings to pick up my DTV card before the drop dead
date if I want to build a Linux-based video controller. Its possible
that the card manufacturers will begin manufacturing compliant cards
before 7/05 and the stock of existing units might run out before then.
That might be where the warning to buy before the end of the year came
from.

Since its not difficult to implement a DTV demodulator with a decent DSP
chip, will the supply of this sort of components have to be restricted,
lest they fall into the hands of someone who might build a non compliant
tuner? I can see the day when the MPAA will just restrict the sale of
all electronic components to hobbyists on the chance that they might try
to bypass DRM with them.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 5, 2004, 10:40:54 PM11/5/04
Jim Thompson wrote:

[snip]

> What's worth watching on TV?

I like the WWF, Jerry Springer and the McLaughlin Group. But sometimes I
can't tell them apart.

;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com

Disclaimer: This publication is the sole property of monkey #108765
and his typewriter. It does not represent the opinions of any other
primate, either alive or dead, or any descendants thereof.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 6, 2004, 11:33:28 PM11/6/04
JeffM wrote:

> >>Broadcast Flag...July 1, 2005
> >> JeffM
> >
> >...warnings to pick up my DTV card before the drop dead date

> >if I want to build a Linux-based video controller. Its possible
> >that the card manufacturers will begin manufacturing compliant cards
> >before 7/05 and the stock of existing units might run out before then.
> > Paul Hovnanian
>
> I've already read reports of demand exceeding supply (in October 2004).
> My hope is that the manufacturers defy Michael Powell
> and continue to manufacture non-compliant video cards.
> It seems to be outside the FCC's purview
> to specify what can be done with a signal after it is broadcast and received
> --and that is the intent of DRM.
> Of course, with the present SCOTUS
> and what direction it will take in the next 4 years,
> that could be a difficult case.

I'm not going to sweat the problem. Its not difficult to demodulate a
DTV signal with decent DSP hardware. Although this isn't something that
will satisfy the average PC user market, it might be a fun project. And
then watch the fun when the design gets posted somewhere on the 'net.
;-)

In fact, from an anti-piracy point of view, DRM on DTV signals seems to
be a loosing proposition. It would only take a very small group of
electronics/software geeks building their own receivers to feed a
substantial file sharing network.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com

If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
start with a small country.

Dan Fraser

Nov 7, 2004, 12:49:48 PM11/7/04
Makes me even happier that I gave up watching TV in 2003.

JeffM

Nov 7, 2004, 2:41:01 PM11/7/04
>>To watch David Spader act weird and keep a straight face: Boston Legal
>> JeffM
>
>It's James Spader...
>You might be thinking of David Spade..."Finch" on "Just Shoot Me."
> Rich Grise

You're right both times.

JeffM

Nov 8, 2004, 4:46:44 AM11/8/04
>demodulate a DTV signal with decent DSP hardware....

>then watch the fun when the design gets posted somewhere on the 'net. ;-)
>
>In fact, from an anti-piracy point of view, DRM on DTV signals seems to
>be a loosing proposition. It would only take a very small group of
>electronics/software geeks building their own receivers to feed a
>substantial file sharing network.
> Paul Hovnanian

Paul, I like the way you think.
DRM? It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
The old business model is toast.
If the buggy whip manufacturers don't get into the game soon,
there won't even be crumbs for them. Hell, it's probably too late already.

Makes me think of the Palestinian rejection of partition in '48.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has problems with *lose* and *loose*.
My Mama has problems with *applause* and *applesauce*.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 8, 2004, 12:22:47 PM11/8/04
JeffM wrote:

> >demodulate a DTV signal with decent DSP hardware....
> >then watch the fun when the design gets posted somewhere on the 'net. ;-)
> >
> >In fact, from an anti-piracy point of view, DRM on DTV signals seems to
> >be a loosing proposition. It would only take a very small group of
> >electronics/software geeks building their own receivers to feed a
> >substantial file sharing network.
> > Paul Hovnanian
>
> Paul, I like the way you think.
> DRM? It's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
> The old business model is toast.
> If the buggy whip manufacturers don't get into the game soon,
> there won't even be crumbs for them. Hell, it's probably too late already.

The funniest part of the broadcast flag requirements is that, if a
compliant tuner determines that it is connected to a 'non-secure' output
device (via analog or unencrypted digital), the tuner must down convert
the program resolution to 480 line resolution. In case the studios
haven't realized it yet, 480 lines is the resolution of today's (NTSC)
DVDs. So, if I was a pirate, I'd have to spend money on a down
conversion solution anyway. So, they just made my job easier.

It has been demonstrated that the market for pirate product can easily
be satisfied with low quality product (camcorders slipped into theaters,
etc.). In other words, there is very little market share in people
willing to buy pirated product but unwilling to buy low quality product.
In fact, allowing the copying of digital content will make detection of
digital watermarks in content placed on file sharing services much
easier. If the digital content goes through a digital to analog to
digital conversion before being posted, embedded digital signatures are
lost and every posted file must be examined manually.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com

Experience is the worst teacher. It always gives the test
first and the instruction afterward.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 8, 2004, 12:45:03 PM11/8/04
JeffM wrote:

[snip]

> Makes me think of the Palestinian rejection of partition in '48.

Why? The European Jews fought to get back property confiscated by the
Nazis and their descendants are still winning cases for its return
today. Aboriginal rights have been upheld in many countries, resulting
in compensation or the return of land confiscated hundreds of years ago.
Since the genocide of the Palestinians has failed (Israel has admitted
that they can't suppress Palestinian population growth within their
borders) so it is guaranteed that their descendants will survive to
reclaim their homeland.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com

f u cn rd ths u r usng unx

JeffM

Nov 8, 2004, 9:52:29 PM11/8/04
>>[DRM and the media corporations]
>>Makes me think of the Palestinian rejection of partition in '48.
>> JeffM

>Why? The European Jews fought to get back property confiscated by the
>Nazis and their descendants are still winning cases for its return
>today. Aboriginal rights have been upheld in many countries, resulting
>in compensation or the return of land confiscated hundreds of years ago.
>Since the genocide of the Palestinians has failed (Israel has admitted
>that they can't suppress Palestinian population growth within their
>borders) so it is guaranteed that their descendants will survive to
>reclaim their homeland.
> Paul Hovnanian

I was thinking of the all-or-nothing thinking.
Having rejected sharing the land mass,
the Palestinians are into their 3rd generation of refugee status.
If they hope to get it all back, they have a long wait.
It is interesting that the Israelites, having been oppressed for so long,
have become the oppressors. Hmmm. Maybe you're right.

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Nov 9, 2004, 12:03:50 AM11/9/04
JeffM wrote:

> >>[DRM and the media corporations]
> >>Makes me think of the Palestinian rejection of partition in '48.
> >> JeffM
> >
> >Why? The European Jews fought to get back property confiscated by the
> >Nazis and their descendants are still winning cases for its return
> >today. Aboriginal rights have been upheld in many countries, resulting
> >in compensation or the return of land confiscated hundreds of years ago.
> >Since the genocide of the Palestinians has failed (Israel has admitted
> >that they can't suppress Palestinian population growth within their
> >borders) so it is guaranteed that their descendants will survive to
> >reclaim their homeland.
> > Paul Hovnanian
>
> I was thinking of the all-or-nothing thinking.
> Having rejected sharing the land mass,
> the Palestinians are into their 3rd generation of refugee status.

Back when Arafat and Rabin were getting kudos for their peace proposals,
a survey was taken of both the Israelis and Palestinians. On both sides,
something like 70% of them supported a peaceful coexistance. Its the 30%
on either side that cause all the trouble. Either because they are
idealistically opposed to sharing, or (I think this applies to Sharon)
they want to undo everyone else's plans and implement their own for
political power.

> If they hope to get it all back, they have a long wait.
> It is interesting that the Israelites, having been oppressed for so long,
> have become the oppressors. Hmmm. Maybe you're right.

These things go on for hundreds of years. In the end, the only solution
will probably be a single country that is theologically neutral.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, "Let there be Light."
And there was still nothing, but you could see it.