Bi-directional switch for TTL and Analog clock/data

1 view

Duane

Dec 22, 2003, 6:38:22 PM12/22/03
I am looking for a device that will work as a bi-directional switch, for
isolation, that can be controlled by an MCU. What I envision is something
like those analog switches that are used in audio switching apps. Two
signals will need to be passed. One is at TTL levels and one is an AC
clock/power that could be up to 60V p-p.

What would be ideal is something that operates like a N.C. relay. A true
relay would consume way too much current for this app. Something with
CMOS-type inputs would be perfect. Operational voltage is 1.8-3.6V.

I would appreciate any suggestions if anyone has run across anything that
would fit this bill.

Thanks

Duane.

Remove the underscore to reply via email.

Tilmann Reh

Dec 23, 2003, 3:02:02 AM12/23/03
Duane schrieb:

A bistable mechanical relais? You'd need just short pulses to toggle
it. If that's not too often, power consumption should be no problem.
Look at Matsushita's TN/TW signal relais, they're really fine.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates ?
(Sun Microsystems)

Duane

Dec 23, 2003, 9:30:49 AM12/23/03
Using a relay would take way too much current. My power budget is around
1000mAh and has to last somewhere between 5 and 10 years.

Thanks for the prompt help though.

Duane.

"Tilmann Reh" <tilma...@autometer.de> wrote in message

Tilmann Reh

Dec 23, 2003, 9:35:54 AM12/23/03
Duane schrieb:

> Using a relay would take way too much current. My power budget is around
> 1000mAh and has to last somewhere between 5 and 10 years.

1000 mAh at which voltage?
How often will it be switched? (i.e. will the switch state change)

Spehro Pefhany

Dec 23, 2003, 9:49:49 AM12/23/03

You could look at CLARE's OptoMOS relays, some of which are Form B.
They take at least 5mA to operate, though.

As someone else suggested, a bistable (latching) relay may be your
best answer as they draw no current at all except when you are
actually changing their state. A 180mW pulse for a few msec will set
or reset these parts:

http://www.kss-gz.cn/pro/relay/m/ds2y.pdf

If you allow 10uA average current draw for switching, you can switch
every 10 seconds on the average.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Duane

Dec 23, 2003, 9:54:19 AM12/23/03
The switching will accur every hour with a duration of up to 500mS. This is
to isolate communcation taking place on the other side of the switching
device while allowing normal operation at all other times (pass-through
communication from an external device). I am using nearly all of that
1000mAh for the actual communication. This is why I am looking for a low
current solution for a N.C. switch.

Thanks

Duane.

"Tilmann Reh" <tilma...@autometer.de> wrote in message

Duane

Dec 23, 2003, 9:57:00 AM12/23/03
Sorry. I left out the voltage...1.8 - 3.6Vdc

"Tilmann Reh" <tilma...@autometer.de> wrote in message

Spehro Pefhany

Dec 23, 2003, 10:03:12 AM12/23/03
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:54:19 GMT, the renowned "Duane"
<_willw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The switching will accur every hour with a duration of up to 500mS. This is
>to isolate communcation taking place on the other side of the switching
>device while allowing normal operation at all other times (pass-through
>communication from an external device). I am using nearly all of that
>1000mAh for the actual communication. This is why I am looking for a low
>current solution for a N.C. switch.

The latching relays are perfect for this application. Say they draw
36mA for 3msec, twice per hour (once at the beginning of the 500ms and
once at the end). The average total current draw of the relay coils is
only 60nA (!).

Duane

Dec 23, 2003, 10:06:35 AM12/23/03
Thanks for the link. I had no idea these things existed. I have never had a
use for relays in the past. As soon as someone mentioned relay, I thought
power hog. I did not know what a latching relay was.

Short of a CMOS solution this may have to work.

Thanks again.

"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message

Duane

Dec 23, 2003, 10:38:39 AM12/23/03
Ouch!! These things are pricey. Over $3 in 10K (albeit from digikey).
Considering I need two for a product that management wants to come in at
$10...something's gotta give.

Tony Williams

Dec 23, 2003, 10:29:47 AM12/23/03
In article <tkYFb.625217$HS4.4573362@attbi_s01>,

Duane <_willw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Using a relay would take way too much current. My power budget
> is around 1000mAh and has to last somewhere between 5 and 10
> years.

The (magnetically) bistable relay that Tilmann Reh has
suggested only needs to be pulsed into the required state.
It is zero power consumption thereafter. The pulse is
normally in the region of 50mS and the required energy
could be stored on a capacitor (and/or voltage-doubled).

--
Tony Williams.

Fred Bloggs

Dec 23, 2003, 10:52:39 AM12/23/03

Duane wrote:
> Ouch!! These things are pricey. Over $3 in 10K (albeit from digikey).
> Considering I need two for a product that management wants to come in at
> $10...something's gotta give.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA....not based on your scanty information-AND it's
hard to believe you're an electronics product designer who has never
heard of latching relays. You're a troll- maybe a community college
student someplace.

Duane

Dec 23, 2003, 11:18:49 AM12/23/03
...that's nice "fred". Way to represent your field.

"Fred Bloggs" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message