Electromigration and/or dielectric erosion in FR4 substrates

Stefen

May 16, 2005, 5:51:55 PM5/16/05
I am looking for information on causes and design guidelines for using
thin FR4 between DC voltage potentials. I have a couple of data points
that FR4 can have punch through and arcing at voltages far below the
dielectric breakdown specified for the materials.

1.) 48 Vdc punched through 4-5 mils of FR4 within 6 months continual
usage
2.) 35 Vdc punched through 0.4 mils of FR4 in about 630-650 hours
3.) FR4 type was not specified, but these are credible data points.

This (in part) appears to be dielectric erosion exacerbated by
Electro-migration of the copper traces/planes. More information would
be great.

I am concerned by the data points because I am looking at ~125 Vdc on 4
mil thick FR4 and the product is expected to last 24x7x365.25x10
(613620 hours) minimum.

If any one could help, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information
available. Thanks.

Boris Mohar

May 16, 2005, 7:40:05 PM5/16/05

Your data points were probably wet. Literally speaking that is.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

Mac

May 17, 2005, 12:18:52 AM5/17/05

100V/0.004"=31,250 V/in = 375,000 V/ft.

I wouldn't think that you would experience dielectric breakdown across
4 mils. Even 4 mils of dry air. But I haven't ever built a board like you
describe.

--Mac

mrob...@worldnet.att.net

May 17, 2005, 12:47:19 AM5/17/05
Stefen <smu...@woodward.com> wrote:
>I am concerned by the data points because I am looking at ~125 Vdc on 4
>mil thick FR4 and the product is expected to last 24x7x365.25x10
>(613620 hours) minimum.

70 years, wow! Must be Western Electric or military.

Matt Roberds

Pooh Bear

May 17, 2005, 1:08:02 AM5/17/05
Stefen wrote:

Why not use Kapton as a substrate instead ?

Can you actually *get* 0.1 mm thick FR4 ?

Graham

Stefen

May 17, 2005, 5:10:59 PM5/17/05

Close, but it is 10 years with 100% utilization (all day every day),
not 70 years:).

Terry Given

May 17, 2005, 6:27:50 PM5/17/05

look harder. 24*7*365*10 = 70 years. there are *NOT* 7*365.25 days in a
year. To put it in perspective, the "normal" working year is 2,050 hours.

Cheers
Terry

Terry Given

May 17, 2005, 6:47:27 PM5/17/05

I have come across anecdotal evidence of low-voltage breakdown of FR4 as
well. But I looked into the product in question (a commercial UPS), and
found some pretty shonky layout/design/workmanship.

Firstly, the PCBs were all made somewhere in China, for the lowest price
obtainable (100,000 per annum) no doubt using the cheapest, nastiest
material known to man. Looking at half a dozen units, I saw significant
variation in the LPI solder mask coverage and screen-printed overlay
registration. I would suspect the process is neither clean nor consistent.

The design itself had acute angles, potentially allowing etchant to
accumulate. bad CAD man. The copper width/thickness was also inadequate,
and the high-current low voltage traces were discoloured. Standard 125C
Tg (glass transition temperature) FR4 was used.

For our MIL products we stuck with a large, reputable PCB manufacturer
with stringent process & quality control. We used high Tg FR4 (150C
IIRC), and designed tracks for a 10C temperature rise (and considered
dynamic thermal resistance too). And we very carefully cleaned then
conformal coated our PCBs.

One faulty PCB was found thru hi-pot testing (17,000 commercial units)
but that had a clearly visible lump of contaminant within the PCB
material itself. Which came from China, but was cheap :)

Cheers
Terry

Rich Grise

May 17, 2005, 7:18:30 PM5/17/05

Syntactically, it's close: "twenty-four seven, three hundred sixty-five
(and a quarter) days a year" sounds almost natural, since "twenty-four
seven" means "continuously" in the vernacular.

Oops! Is the vokda kikcing in alradey?

If 7-11 stores are open 24 hours a day, howcome the doors have locks?

Cheers!
Rich

Robert Baer

May 18, 2005, 1:57:54 AM5/18/05
Rich Grise wrote:

Because, the stores were supposed to open at 7AM and close at 11PM.

Stefen

May 24, 2005, 8:28:47 AM5/24/05
Okay,

I am sufficiently embarrassed.