Custom search engine to exclude parts spammers

Ignoramus19897

Sep 12, 2007, 1:07:36 PM9/12/07
When I search for electronic parts, or other parts, I often get a lot
of search results that are worthless asshole spammers who put up
millions of fake pages saying "We have ABCXYZ in stock, call us"
whereas they have nothing in stock. Just a perl or php script to spam
google.

So, I created a custom search engine called "Search without
spammers". This is a Google custom search engine and there I defined a
list of a couple of dozen of most prolific parts spammers, like
netcomponents, to be EXCLUDED from search. The list is by far not
complete, so, I would like to ask if perhaps anyone wants to try it
and contribute.

The "custom search engine" is mainly for my own use, but, of course,
you are welcome to use it too.

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010244073138481669636%3Avwhgg2nax4e

If you want, I can try to add you to the list of contributors so that
you can expand the list.

Thoughts?

Martin Griffith

Sep 12, 2007, 1:57:12 PM9/12/07

Give Igor a webNobel, excellent, it blocks alibaba :)

Martin

Ignoramus19897

Sep 12, 2007, 2:14:51 PM9/12/07
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:57:12 +0200, Martin Griffith <mart_in_medina@ya___.es> wrote:

> Give Igor a webNobel, excellent, it blocks alibaba :)

Well, if you just follow up to my post and post the list of your most
hated web parts spammers, I will add them all to the filter.

Alternatively, I can add your google user ids to the collaborator list so
that you can update this SE.

I am so sick of those mofos. When I search for parts, I do not want to
see those junk pages -- I want to see datasheets, discussions, real
for sale ads, etc.

Spehro Pefhany

Sep 12, 2007, 2:23:34 PM9/12/07

Looks good Igor. Is there a way to see which sites are excluded?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Ignoramus19897

Sep 12, 2007, 2:35:15 PM9/12/07
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:23:34 -0400, Spehro Pefhany <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:07:36 -0500, Ignoramus19897
><ignoram...@NOSPAM.19897.invalid> wrote:
>
>>When I search for electronic parts, or other parts, I often get a lot
>>of search results that are worthless asshole spammers who put up
>>millions of fake pages saying "We have ABCXYZ in stock, call us"
>>whereas they have nothing in stock. Just a perl or php script to spam
>>google.
>>
>>So, I created a custom search engine called "Search without
>>spammers". This is a Google custom search engine and there I defined a
>>list of a couple of dozen of most prolific parts spammers, like
>>netcomponents, to be EXCLUDED from search. The list is by far not
>>complete, so, I would like to ask if perhaps anyone wants to try it
>>and contribute.
>>
>>The "custom search engine" is mainly for my own use, but, of course,
>>you are welcome to use it too.
>>
>>http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010244073138481669636%3Avwhgg2nax4e
>>
>>If you want, I can try to add you to the list of contributors so that
>>you can expand the list.
>>
>>Thoughts?

> Looks good Igor. Is there a way to see which sites are excluded?

Right now these are excluded. I welcome suggestions.

hobid.cn
rf-china.com
netcomponents.com
szchip.com
xjdz-ic.com
photk.com
amsemi.com
adgic.com
24-trade.com
loadparts.com
ihs.com
partminer.com
usbid.com
canics.com
ic-town.com
hkinventory.com
nteparts.com
ic-asap.com
nowcomponents.com
com.cn
dzsc.com
dz37.com.cn
batescomponents.com
westchip.com
digchip.com
bizrate.com

ehsjr

Sep 13, 2007, 10:21:17 AM9/13/07

Nice!

Ed

Gibbo

Sep 13, 2007, 10:24:39 AM9/13/07

Could you do a similar one to filter out the ones that offer to *sell*
data sheets that are available free elsewhere?

--
Gibbo

In accordance with our company policy of minimum environmental impact
this post was made entirely with the 100% recycled electron.

Spehro Pefhany

Sep 13, 2007, 10:29:40 AM9/13/07
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:24:39 +0100, Gibbo <gi...@smartgauge.co.uk>
wrote:

>Ignoramus19897 wrote:
>> When I search for electronic parts, or other parts, I often get a lot
>> of search results that are worthless asshole spammers who put up
>> millions of fake pages saying "We have ABCXYZ in stock, call us"
>> whereas they have nothing in stock. Just a perl or php script to spam
>> google.
>>
>> So, I created a custom search engine called "Search without
>> spammers". This is a Google custom search engine and there I defined a
>> list of a couple of dozen of most prolific parts spammers, like
>> netcomponents, to be EXCLUDED from search. The list is by far not
>> complete, so, I would like to ask if perhaps anyone wants to try it
>> and contribute.
>>
>> The "custom search engine" is mainly for my own use, but, of course,
>> you are welcome to use it too.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010244073138481669636%3Avwhgg2nax4e
>>
>> If you want, I can try to add you to the list of contributors so that
>> you can expand the list.
>>
>> Thoughts?

>Could you do a similar one to filter out the ones that offer to *sell*
>data sheets that are available free elsewhere?

I believe he's done that by banning P*rtm*ner et alia.

Ignoramus32529

Sep 13, 2007, 12:58:46 PM9/13/07
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:24:39 +0100, Gibbo <gi...@smartgauge.co.uk> wrote:
> Ignoramus19897 wrote:
>> When I search for electronic parts, or other parts, I often get a lot
>> of search results that are worthless asshole spammers who put up
>> millions of fake pages saying "We have ABCXYZ in stock, call us"
>> whereas they have nothing in stock. Just a perl or php script to spam
>> google.
>>
>> So, I created a custom search engine called "Search without
>> spammers". This is a Google custom search engine and there I defined a
>> list of a couple of dozen of most prolific parts spammers, like
>> netcomponents, to be EXCLUDED from search. The list is by far not
>> complete, so, I would like to ask if perhaps anyone wants to try it
>> and contribute.
>>
>> The "custom search engine" is mainly for my own use, but, of course,
>> you are welcome to use it too.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010244073138481669636%3Avwhgg2nax4e
>>
>> If you want, I can try to add you to the list of contributors so that
>> you can expand the list.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> Could you do a similar one to filter out the ones that offer to *sell*
> data sheets that are available free elsewhere?

Absolutely, give me domains, or, alternatively, give me your google
userid so that I can add you to the list of "collaborators", you can
add your own.

Ignoramus32529

Sep 13, 2007, 12:59:25 PM9/13/07
So... Any more domains to ignore?

Note that I ignore the whole .com.cn.

Jonathan Kirwan

Sep 13, 2007, 2:01:06 PM9/13/07
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:07:36 -0500, Ignoramus19897
<ignoram...@NOSPAM.19897.invalid> wrote:

>When I search for electronic parts, ...
><snip>

>The "custom search engine" is mainly for my own use, but, of course,
>you are welcome to use it too.
>
>http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=010244073138481669636%3Avwhgg2nax4e
>
>If you want, I can try to add you to the list of contributors so that
>you can expand the list.
>
>Thoughts?

Yes, I hate the alldatasheet.com and datasheetcatalog.net and so on
links. One of the frequent things I want to do is just grab a data
sheet on a part.... but from the manufacturer(s). Not from these
sites -- it's a veritable pain. And they work hard to get themselves
near the first part of any search. I'd like to completely remove them
and others like them from a search.

Jon

Jonathan Kirwan

Sep 13, 2007, 2:03:59 PM9/13/07
I noticed that, unlike the default google searches, your arrangement
doesn't report the total number found. Sometimes, that helps me know
whether or not I should add additional keywords or exclusions to cut
down on the noise. Is it possible to add that back onto the page?

Thanks,
Jon

Richard Henry

Sep 13, 2007, 2:15:35 PM9/13/07
On Sep 12, 10:07 am, Ignoramus19897 <ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.

Thank you. I am already using it, so please don't change the link.

Ignoramus32529

Sep 13, 2007, 2:35:37 PM9/13/07

I will not change the list, but I do hope to add more spammers to the
excluded list.

Ignoramus32529

Sep 13, 2007, 2:36:56 PM9/13/07

I do not think that it is possible.

Ignoramus32529

Sep 13, 2007, 2:37:31 PM9/13/07

What about datasheets for obsolete parts, where the manufacturers do
not exist etc?

I think that free datasheet catalogs would be valuable?

Jonathan Kirwan

Sep 13, 2007, 2:53:59 PM9/13/07

It is just that after trying to use them on occasion, I have sworn
them off. Way too much pain. But I suppose you are right. I'll
live. It's already helpful as it is.

thanks,
Jon

Ignoramus32529

Sep 13, 2007, 3:32:11 PM9/13/07

I searched for more part numbers (STTH200L06TV1). I have excluded more
sites from the search, bringing the excluded total up to 33.

My main criteria is that the page mentioning the part has no valuable
content (like free manual, datasheet, mention of some use of the part
in a project, etc), and it seems as though the part in question cannot
be actually bought from them. This is a little hard to tell as some of
them say "call us for quote", but, basically, if there is no detail
about the part (like saying "transistor" or "function generator
DIP-8") AND no price, I say it is junk.

Message has been deleted