PROTEL question

oran...@mail.ru

Aug 15, 2005, 4:48:19 AM8/15/05
I'd like to fit two or more schematics/PCBs on the same sheet (A4),
what would be easiest way to do that?

Terry Given

Aug 15, 2005, 7:08:37 AM8/15/05
oran...@mail.ru wrote:
> I'd like to fit two or more schematics/PCBs on the same sheet (A4),
> what would be easiest way to do that?

grind them into powder, and sprinkle onto an adhesive coated sheet of A4 :)

Cheers
Terry

jme...@nowhere.net

Aug 15, 2005, 7:47:54 AM8/15/05
On 15 Aug 2005 01:48:19 -0700, oran...@mail.ru wroth:

>I'd like to fit two or more schematics/PCBs on the same sheet (A4),
>what would be easiest way to do that?

Have you tried Protel's copy and paste ability? Which version of Protel
are you using?

If you only want to print two schematics on one piece of paper for
documentation, then there are many other ways to do it.

Jim

oran...@mail.ru

Aug 15, 2005, 8:46:44 AM8/15/05
I'm using Protel DXP 2004, but (obviously) I'm a total newbie at using
ANY pcb design software. The schematics are very, very simple, couple
of resistors and few chips. When I try component autoplacing and
autorouting, PROTEL makes really small PCBs. It does seem to be
possible to fit several schematics to one PCB, but what happens to
labels if for eg. both schematics have R1 and R2? Please tell me if
there is better way..
I'm not sure what should be copy and where it should be pasted, PCBs or
schematics ? Do I make seperate PCBs for all schematics and then paste
them somewhere?
BTW, each PCB should have its own +5V and GND

Rene Tschaggelar

Aug 15, 2005, 9:14:38 AM8/15/05
oran...@mail.ru wrote:

You should become member and user of the altium forums at :
http://www.altium.com

No, you cannot have multiple schematics on one pcb without
some tricks. The tricks consist of copy/pasting multiple
fully layed out pcbs into one, thereby giving up on the
design-rule-checks, as multiple nets are called the same.
There is also a feature called paneling, though I haven't
tested it yet.

Rene

oran...@mail.ru

Aug 15, 2005, 9:23:52 AM8/15/05
I see, thanks. But then there must be some easy way to print several
(seperate) PCBs onto one sheet , right?

Bob Stephens

Aug 15, 2005, 9:53:07 AM8/15/05

Most reasonable size PCB projects are multi - sheet "hierarchical" designs.
DXP 2004 comes with pretty good tutorials on how to set this up. Basically
you create a top level master schematic which contains sheet symbols for
all subordinate drawings and modules or ports showing the interconnecting
labels. If your only problem is multiple parts with the same names. DXP
will automatically re-annotate your schematic.

Bob

oran...@mail.ru

Aug 15, 2005, 10:01:10 AM8/15/05
er.. I forgot to tell: PCBs are totaly seperated, I want them on single
sheet simply because the guy who makes PCBs doesn't do any smaller than
1dmx1dm, so a lot of space would be wasted if every board was on
different PCB. I want them all on one and to cut them afterwards.

Roger Hamlett

Aug 15, 2005, 10:35:22 AM8/15/05

<oran...@mail.ru> wrote in message
Normally the PCB company does this for you. They have the package to lay
up multiple copies of the same work on one sheet, and even leave areas
unused, allow for the guillotine clearances etc.. Spaces also have to be
left, for things like the electrode attachment points. This is not
something the user would normally do (except for making a multi-board
'set', where the whole set comprises one assembly), since it is not as
simple as chosing a 1dm*1dm space and packing all the boards into this, if
this is the 'working' size. If you do need to lay them out like this, then
just duplicate the finished board 'into' a larger sheet size, with
suitable gaps.

Best Wishes

Rene Tschaggelar

Aug 15, 2005, 10:40:09 AM8/15/05
oran...@mail.ru wrote:

I'm aslo sometimes doing this. If I know it beforehand,
I just draw several schematic oto one sheet. The naming
of the nets defines whether DXp wants them connected or not.
If everything fails, you can cut/paste the gerbers
together with the camtastic subtool of DXP.

Spehro Pefhany

Aug 15, 2005, 1:21:07 PM8/15/05
On 15 Aug 2005 06:23:52 -0700, the renowned oran...@mail.ru wrote:

>I see, thanks. But then there must be some easy way to print several
>(seperate) PCBs onto one sheet , right?

A lot of times a different piece of software is used to combine, check
and panelize the gerbers-- those tasks are not done in the design
software. FabFactory has some software for this purpose, but the board
houses seem to use stuff that is not well known outside of the
industry. It's very quick for them, and the software takes into
account their actual equipment and tools, which has advantages for
both sides.

This is analagous to, say, me making a design in a CAD program, and
the company producing the part using their own CAM software to
generate the g-codes to drive their specific machinery using their
tooling. Or me producing an output file for a printing company from
Quark or Indesign on a PC and the printing company internally creating
the "signatures" from the sheets on a high-end Mac.

Sometimes, due to pricing quirks on PCB prototypes, it appears to be
significantly cheaper if you combine parts yourself, and I suspect
that's why you're asking. If that's the case, you might shop around
for suppliers who have different quirks or are more flexible.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Ken Taylor

Aug 15, 2005, 4:13:01 PM8/15/05
"Rene Tschaggelar" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

> oran...@mail.ru wrote:
>
>> er.. I forgot to tell: PCBs are totaly seperated, I want them on single
>> sheet simply because the guy who makes PCBs doesn't do any smaller than
>> 1dmx1dm, so a lot of space would be wasted if every board was on
>> different PCB. I want them all on one and to cut them afterwards.
>>

> I'm aslo sometimes doing this. If I know it beforehand,
> I just draw several schematic oto one sheet. The naming
> of the nets defines whether DXp wants them connected or not.
> If everything fails, you can cut/paste the gerbers
> together with the camtastic subtool of DXP.
>
> Rene
> --
I haven't used Protel for a while now so I'm rusty, but I'm sure someone
will fill in the boring details. :-) Isn't there a facility whereby you can
make up a 'block' of a circuit with defined inputs and outputs and insert
multiple copies of that 'block' onto the schematic? In the OP's instance,
these blocks would be isolated of course, but this way the net-checking will
recognize the different nets.

Ken

Terry Given

Aug 15, 2005, 4:27:27 PM8/15/05

I've done what you want in 99SE, but I forget exactly how - there is a
way when copy/pasting to prevent slowtel from automatically buggering up
ref-des etc. never tried in DXP. oh, and you cant DRC etc. afterwards,
so do it on the individual PCBs, then dont fiddle post-paste.

Or do it properly, with different nets on the various sch's so DRC will
work fine

Cheers
Terry

Bo

Aug 15, 2005, 4:49:56 PM8/15/05
Do your two different designs completely separate.

Then cut/paste the PCB file gerber files into one for each layer. Should
work fine. (at this point you're out of any CAD intelligence about nets,
component ref designators, etc)...

<oran...@mail.ru> wrote in message

Genome

Aug 15, 2005, 7:28:02 PM8/15/05

"Spehro Pefhany" <spef...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote in message

> On 15 Aug 2005 06:23:52 -0700, the renowned oran...@mail.ru wrote:
>
> >I see, thanks. But then there must be some easy way to print several
> >(seperate) PCBs onto one sheet , right?
>
> A lot of times a different piece of software is used to combine, check
> and panelize the gerbers-- those tasks are not done in the design
> software. FabFactory has some software for this purpose, but the board
> houses seem to use stuff that is not well known outside of the
> industry. It's very quick for them, and the software takes into
> account their actual equipment and tools, which has advantages for
> both sides.
>
> This is analagous to, say, me making a design in a CAD program, and
> the company producing the part using their own CAM software to
> generate the g-codes to drive their specific machinery using their
> tooling. Or me producing an output file for a printing company from
> Quark or Indesign on a PC and the printing company internally creating
> the "signatures" from the sheets on a high-end Mac.
>
> Sometimes, due to pricing quirks on PCB prototypes, it appears to be
> significantly cheaper if you combine parts yourself, and I suspect
> that's why you're asking. If that's the case, you might shop around
> for suppliers who have different quirks or are more flexible.
>

> Best regards,
> Spehro Pefhany

I was almost thinking something different.....

Did you really mean that or did you spend extra time to explain it in a more
understandable way?

DNA

Spehro Pefhany

Aug 15, 2005, 8:40:40 PM8/15/05
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:28:02 GMT, the renowned "Genome"
<ilike...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I was almost thinking something different.....
>
>Did you really mean that or did you spend extra time to explain it in a more
>understandable way?
>
>DNA

You're probably right.

oran...@mail.ru

Aug 16, 2005, 7:43:13 AM8/16/05
OK, thanks all. I've got just one more question:
cant find anywhere option for changing PCB size after closing the
wizard, placing all the components and autorouting, is it even possible
to change it now?

Frank Bemelman

Aug 16, 2005, 8:52:48 AM8/16/05
<oran...@mail.ru> schreef in bericht

Sure, board shape is typically drawn on mechanical layer1, and
then there's the keepout layer, often the same shape as the board.
Edit/resize whatever is on those layers.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Bob Stephens

Aug 16, 2005, 9:29:14 AM8/16/05

That's one thing Protel does pretty well. In DXP 2004,

Design
Board Shape
Redefine
Define from Selected objects.

I do this all the time, in fact, I don't use the wizard at all.

Bob

JeffM

Aug 17, 2005, 3:55:41 PM8/17/05
>I'd like to fit two or more schematics/PCBs on the same sheet
> orangeKDS @ mail.ru

I notice that you don't include context when you respond.

FYI, this is Usenet.
Google Groups is one way of accessing Usenet,
but is is not the entirety of Usenet.

Most folks use a "newsreader" to read the Usenet newsgroups.
http://www.google.com/search?&q=gravity+forte+xnews+40tude+mozilla
That means that THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE
(who don't read the group at Google) DON'T SEE WHAT YOU SEE ON GOOGLE.

See how I went back and added a bit of your previous post to this post?
That is called **context**.
To get context the easy way:
(hint: DON'T CLICK THE **Reply** LINK THAT IS IN PLAIN SIGHT),
click the **show options** link, then click THAT Reply link.

You don't have to re-post **everything** from the previous post;
feel free to snip out as much from the automated blockquote as you
wish.
I only leave enough to show what part I'm referencing ("context").
See above.

DO NOT snip out the name of the person to whom you are responding.

Reading some threads and observing how others post,
will give you a boilerplate for your posts.
.
.
Rich Grise (pointedly) remarks on context here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/3e13158594651a47/1569906f59f22fb6?q=include-context-when-you-post-from-google-groups+are-universally-hated+include-context

The guidelines for proper Usenet posting are here:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8PaSp2kKbWoJ:www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html+just-enough+at-*-top-*-*-message+do-not-*-*-*-original+zzz+One-to-Many-Communication
(Worth scanning--especially the parts I've highlighted.)