Software for block diagrams

Melodolic

Jun 7, 2006, 1:18:44 PM6/7/06
Any recommendations for software that can be used to sketch block diagrams
of circuits? Doesn't have to be fancy - usability is more desirable than
lots of features.

Cheers,

--
Melodolic Spielberg

Roger

Jun 7, 2006, 5:14:44 PM6/7/06

I use the generic drawing functions in my schematic editor, has the
advantage that I can easily throw in electrical symbols in boxes or
whatever. Many schematic editors have block diagram like symbols ready
made.

Worth noting that most EDA packages have evaluation versions with
limited capabilities such as size of board, number of pins etc., should
not be any problem if you want to make a block diagram.

JeffM

Jun 7, 2006, 5:20:08 PM6/7/06
>Any recommendations for software
>that can be used to sketch block diagrams of circuits?
> Melodolic Spielberg

If anyone says "Visio", dismiss him IMMEDIATLY as an IDIOT.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/c9103bb0e4944296/8c9470fe37cad129?q=OpenOffice.org+text+pacestar+no-*-understanding-of-connections+rework+rubberbanding+Xfig+rubber-banding

Melodolic

Jun 7, 2006, 6:25:03 PM6/7/06
JeffM wrote:

Thanks for that.

I hadn't thought of Eagle - is block.lbr available for download somewhere?

--
Melodolic Spielberg

Melodolic

Jun 7, 2006, 6:25:03 PM6/7/06
Roger wrote:

> I use the generic drawing functions in my schematic editor, has the
> advantage that I can easily throw in electrical symbols in boxes or
> whatever. Many schematic editors have block diagram like symbols ready
> made.
>
> Worth noting that most EDA packages have evaluation versions with
> limited capabilities such as size of board, number of pins etc.,
> should not be any problem if you want to make a block diagram.

Yup, I recently got the freebie version of Eagle. I'm just having a look
through the libraries to see if it has something suitable.

--
Melodolic Spielberg

JeffM

Jun 7, 2006, 8:04:54 PM6/7/06
>>http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/c9103bb0e4944296/8c9470fe37cad129?q=OpenOffice.org+text+pacestar+no-*-understanding-of-connections+rework+rubberbanding+Xfig+rubber-banding
>> JeffM

>I hadn't thought of Eagle
> Melodolic Spielberg

"EAGLE" , properly written, is all caps
(Easily Applicable Graphical Layout Editor).

> - is block.lbr available for download somewhere?

Nah. It took me a few minutes
to make an assortment of generic boxes with X inputs and Y outputs.
Just slap together something that suits you.
I also use symbols from existing libraries.

I forgot to mention in the previous thread
that EAGLE can export in DXF, making graphics rather portable.

Rich Grise

Jun 7, 2006, 8:26:01 PM6/7/06

Paint Shop Pro, then? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Wayne

Jun 7, 2006, 10:03:32 PM6/7/06

"Melodolic" <a@a.a> wrote in message

Hi,

I have tried to find EAGLE. I found EAGLE 4.16 for LINUX and MAC, but
even though I read it is supposed to be available for WINDOWS I cannot find
it. Does anyone know where it can be found, are my eyes worse than my
optometrist say they are, or is there some other strange deed going on?

Anyone's help will be Greatly Appreciated.

Thank You,

Wayne

James T. White

Jun 7, 2006, 10:26:57 PM6/7/06
"Wayne" <NOwayn...@toast.net> wrote in message

> I have tried to find EAGLE. I found EAGLE 4.16 for LINUX and MAC,
> but even though I read it is supposed to be available for WINDOWS I
> cannot find it. Does anyone know where it can be found, are my eyes
> worse than my optometrist say they are, or is there some other
> strange deed going on?
>
> Anyone's help will be Greatly Appreciated.

Check the EAGLE download page at http://www.cadsoft.de/download.htm in
the program download section. You are looking for
eagle-win-eng-4.16r1.exe.

--
James T. White

Wayne

Jun 8, 2006, 1:27:18 AM6/8/06

>> I have tried to find EAGLE. I found EAGLE 4.16 for LINUX and MAC,
>> but even though I read it is supposed to be available for WINDOWS I
>> cannot find it. Does anyone know where it can be found, are my eyes
>> worse than my optometrist say they are, or is there some other
>> strange deed going on?
>>
>> Anyone's help will be Greatly Appreciated.
>>

> Check the EAGLE download page at http://www.cadsoft.de/download.htm in
> the program download section. You are looking for
> eagle-win-eng-4.16r1.exe.
>
> --
> James T. White

You are a Kind Soul Sir. I got it. I got the manual and tutorial as well. I
will go back shortly and look over the libraries..

You have been a Champ.

Thank You,

Wayne

Geek Chick

Jun 8, 2006, 10:01:55 AM6/8/06
Melodolic wrote:
> Any recommendations for software that can be used to sketch block diagrams
> of circuits? Doesn't have to be fancy - usability is more desirable than
> lots of features.
>
> Cheers,

Apart from EAGLE, I find myself using ExpressPCB/SCH a lot and it is
freeware (www.expresspcb.com)

Cheers,
Monica

Melodolic

Jun 8, 2006, 3:20:24 PM6/8/06
JeffM wrote:

> "EAGLE" , properly written, is all caps
> (Easily Applicable Graphical Layout Editor).

I'll try to remember that (but suspect I might not :).

>> - is block.lbr available for download somewhere?
>>
> Nah. It took me a few minutes
> to make an assortment of generic boxes with X inputs and Y outputs.
> Just slap together something that suits you.

Aye, you're probably right. I was originally after some prog dedicated to
the task, but EAGLE is probably as much a prog as such a thing anyway.

> I also use symbols from existing libraries.

Yup, I started making a library for myself to hold components I couldn't
find - copied existing ones and modified them.

> I forgot to mention in the previous thread
> that EAGLE can export in DXF, making graphics rather portable.

I had a look but couldn't see something to do that, and DXF didn't come up
in the help, either.

--
Melodolic Spielberg

Melodolic

Jun 8, 2006, 3:20:24 PM6/8/06
Geek Chick wrote:

> Apart from EAGLE, I find myself using ExpressPCB/SCH a lot and it is
> freeware (www.expresspcb.com)

Thanks - I'll give it a whirl.

--
Melodolic Spielberg

JeffM

Jun 8, 2006, 3:56:53 PM6/8/06
>Apart from EAGLE,
> Monica (Geek Chick)

As I mentioned in a previous post, EAGLE can export in DXF
(a nearly universal format).
It also prints camera-ready artwork.

>I find myself using ExpressPCB/SCH a lot
>and it is freeware (www.expresspcb.com)

Properly categorized, it would be called *promo-ware*.
(or lock-in-ware or crippleware). Yes, they give it away,
but it is intended to get you to send the files that it produces to
them
so that you will pay them to fabricate your PCBs.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/browse_frm/thread/62bc6c3a8a82f22b/7e51e4d1ed631502?q=*-layout-software+comments-*-ExpressPCB+somewhat-limited+schematic-capture-is-not-great+integration-*-*-*-is-dubious+don't-export-Gerber+don't-*-import-netlists+*-*-stuck-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-scale+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-polygons-curves+*-*-*-*-*-camera-ready-art

It was never intended to be interoperable at any other level.
Getting it to print requires you to jump thru hoops:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/browse_frm/thread/62bc6c3a8a82f22b/290204438f685835?q=Resize+printing-*-ExpressPCB+*-best-way-I've-found+zz-zz+Paint-Shop-*+Removed-*-grey-background+Opened-*-*-*-*-*-text-editor+Removed-*-*-*-*-*-dots-*-*-*+PSP+Reduce-hole-sizes+ready-to-be-printed+qq+Postscript-printer

Trying to import the graphic into another document
or otherwise use it outside the ExpressPCB app?
Good luck on that.
It seems like a terrible candidate for what the OP wants to do.

JeffM

Jun 8, 2006, 7:54:11 PM6/8/06
>>I forgot to mention in the previous thread
>>that EAGLE can export in DXF, making graphics rather portable.
>
>I had a look but couldn't see something to do that,
>and DXF didn't come up in the help, either.
> Melodolic Spielberg

D'oh. The EXPORT command will give you bitmaps.
When I created a vector-based file, I downloaded a user-created script.
Maybe it comes with the main download now.
http://www.google.com/search?q=DXF.ULP+DXF-data+User-Language-*

Spajky

Jun 12, 2006, 5:57:19 AM6/12/06
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 00:26:01 GMT, Rich Grise <rich...@example.net>
wrote:

better Powerpoint, I used it even for schematics plans on my site :-)
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com