drilling into live wire?

andrew_h

Mar 9, 2006, 7:54:37 PM3/9/06
Don't think this is a stupid question ...

Out of curiousity (I have no plans to ever try this) - if I was using a
cordless drill (plastic outer case), and was drilling into the
wall....and accidentally drilled into a live wire carrying 240V - what
would happen??????????

The drill bit would be the only metal part exposed ...... would it just
spark and probably snap in two ?? worse than this?

Again, I have no intention of doing this - just wondering,
Andrew

Tim Williams

Mar 9, 2006, 8:25:06 PM3/9/06
"andrew_h" <ah...@heyntech.com.au> wrote in message

> The drill bit would be the only metal part exposed ...... would it just
> spark and probably snap in two ?? worse than this?

Since wires are ran in close pairs, the chances are the bit would tangle in
such a way that both wires would be at least nicked, causing a short and
blowing the breaker. The spark could ignite flammable materials in the
wall, I suppose.

Nothing would happen to you because, as you note, you are insulated. If you
were using a corded drill, it probably wouldn't make any difference since
most are rated as "double insulated", but if I'm wrong on what that means,
the current would just find an additional path to ground and still blow the
circuit breaker.

At any rate, a metal path from wire to person could potentially electrify
you. This is only a problem if you're touching a ground (concrete and bare
feet, or unusually conductive soled shoes, etc.), since electricity doesn't
do anything to you if it doesn't have a place to go.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Phil Allison

Mar 9, 2006, 9:17:01 PM3/9/06

"andrew_h"

think this is a stupid question ...

> Out of curiousity (I have no plans to ever try this) - if I was using a
> cordless drill (plastic outer case), and was drilling into the
> wall....and accidentally drilled into a live wire carrying 240V - what
> would happen??????????
>
> The drill bit would be the only metal part exposed ...... would it just
> spark and probably snap in two ?? worse than this?

** The drill bit would cut the wire and break the circuit - be a real
pain having to replace that length of wire hidden inside a wall.

The worst case scenario is when the person with the drill in their hands is
standing on a wet floor or ground with wet shoes or bare feet. Also, when
the person is in the habit of guiding the drill by placing their fingers
around the drill chuck while it is spinning. They could then certainly
receive a serious or even fatal shock.

Another serious hazard is where the person with the drill is using a metal
ladder - receiving a shock while up a high ladder may trigger them falling
and being badly injured that way.

........ Phil

Roger Dewhurst

Mar 9, 2006, 9:57:17 PM3/9/06

"andrew_h" <ah...@heyntech.com.au> wrote in message
> Don't think this is a stupid question ...
>
> Out of curiousity (I have no plans to ever try this) - if I was using a
> cordless drill (plastic outer case), and was drilling into the
> wall....and accidentally drilled into a live wire carrying 240V - what
> would happen??????????
>
> The drill bit would be the only metal part exposed ...... would it just
> spark and probably snap in two ?? worse than this?

When put a screw into a cable, which was not where it should have been,
there was just a loud pop and the fuse blew.

andrew_h

Mar 9, 2006, 10:09:03 PM3/9/06
Thanks for all your replies - great stuff...

Going back to the drill - the cordless ones (I use anyway) are all
plastic, even the chuck part. Therefore, would that mean there is NO
chance of a shock travelling to my hand and then through my body to
ground ??? Plastic would not conduct, so basically the tool is double
insulated - no chance of a shock?

I was actually drilling a hole yesterday ... cordless drill batteries
were all flat. So I had to use a power drill - its half metal (handle
bit is plastic, but chuck and bit behind is metal) and isnt grounded.
It would have been VERY unlikely there were cables behind ... but after
drilling one hole I stopped and thought 'dont be a fool'. Might have
been overkill, but I turned the power to that circuit off and then did
it.

John Larkin

Mar 9, 2006, 10:28:47 PM3/9/06
On 9 Mar 2006 16:54:37 -0800, "andrew_h" <ah...@heyntech.com.au>
wrote:

Most US building codes require that unarmored wiring (romex and such)
be a couple of inches behind the wall surface, or have a protective
metal plate. The provisions are often ignored.

If you get a little RatShack amplifier/speaker box and a telephone
pickup coil, you can track the wires inside the wall pretty well.

John

andrew_h

Mar 9, 2006, 11:38:39 PM3/9/06
John,

Tell me more about this Ratshack speaker box and telephone coil
idea????

That sounds very interesting ... so it'll pick up roughly where wires
are in the wall?

Better than those 'voltage' detectors......that detects nothing in the
walls?

Lord Garth

Mar 10, 2006, 12:24:26 AM3/10/06

> John,
>
> Tell me more about this Ratshack speaker box and telephone coil
> idea????
>
> That sounds very interesting ... so it'll pick up roughly where wires
> are in the wall?
>
> Better than those 'voltage' detectors......that detects nothing in the
> walls?

You could use a pocket AM radio as well.

Regarding a telephone pickup coil, the power wiring induces a signal
into the coil. The signal is amplified causing the speaker to buzz when
the coil is near a power wire.

A 'fox and hound' is a commercial product that could be used for this
purpose.

JeffM

Mar 10, 2006, 3:38:52 AM3/10/06
>Most US building codes require that unarmored wiring (romex and such)
>be a couple of inches behind the wall surface,
>or have a protective metal plate.
> John Larkin

Yup. http://www.google.com/images?q=nail-guard+mountainroad

He might also select his tools so that he only drills what needs
drilling.
http://www.google.com/images?q=drill-stop+staffordmfg+OR+doityourself+OR+matadorcoupe+OR+avibank+OR+pdqtools+OR+architecturals+OR+toolrealm+OR+search4plans+OR+centurydrill

andrew_h

Mar 10, 2006, 4:44:13 AM3/10/06
Those looks really good (drill-stops) ... are hardly used here in
Australia, as far as I've seen.

I'll get some!

Jamie

Mar 10, 2006, 10:12:55 PM3/10/06
Roger Dewhurst wrote:

ah, you mean some one is drilling holes (hammer drill) for para bolts
into barred conduit ? :))

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

DecaturTxCowboy

Mar 11, 2006, 3:49:12 PM3/11/06
andrew_h wrote:
> Don't think this is a stupid question ...

Not a stupid question at all. I see alarm company installers run a long
6 ft. bit UP a wall into the attic above where power lines might be
stapled to the studs.

This really spooks me as I see so many power lines over a stud that I
have to push out of the way while drilling DOWN the wall.

When I have to blindly drill where there just might be a power line, I
use both a newer model of stud finder with a live power detector. Those
little power line detector wands don't seem to be as sensitive. Then I
also use a circuit finder that you plug a transmitter into a live outlet
and use the probe to listen for a tone.