ColdHeat?

1 view

davidd31415

Jun 17, 2005, 5:21:12 PM6/17/05
Has anyone here damaged or known someone who has damaged 'sensitive'
electronic devices with ColdHeat? I've heard only terrible things
about it from people I know who solder on a regular basis and decided
not to try it out for that reason alone, but I am curious about this
because it seems "sensitive" devices are going to be sensitive to both
heat and currents; I've listened to one-sided arguments claiming that
the current would pose less of a threat than the heat and am interested
in investigating that claim further.

stra...@yahoo.com

Jun 17, 2005, 7:30:11 PM6/17/05

Go read the reviews and then buy a real soldering tool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00067GK7Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-4327252-1271913?%5Fencoding=UTF8&me=A2WEFPOFEIM91H&s=hi

Wellers and Hakkos are good. Metcal is REAL good.

GG

Bob Monsen

Jun 17, 2005, 8:04:55 PM6/17/05

I have one. It uses large currents to melt the solder. It sparks when
you touch it to metal. However, it doesn't have enough oomph for even
small soldering jobs. Also, there are warnings about using it on
'sensitive' electronics. I wouldn't recommend it.

davidd31415

Jun 17, 2005, 8:50:55 PM6/17/05
Right, I have read the negative user reviews before and have seen many
people warn against using them on 'sensitive' electronics (perhaps
that's why I can not find anyone who has damaged 'sensitive'
electronics by using one). I'm not considering buying one, I am simply
looking for cases where such damage has been realized.

Nog

Jun 17, 2005, 9:44:26 PM6/17/05

"davidd31415" <david...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

It's crap. I like my butane soldering iron. Heats up quick and I can control
the temp.

Tom Biasi

Jun 19, 2005, 2:58:27 PM6/19/05

"davidd31415" <david...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Maybe you can't find anyone who has damaged components because anyone who
would be working with sensitive components wouldn't use the thing in the
first place.
Tom

davidd31415

Jun 19, 2005, 8:37:38 PM6/19/05
Right.

I know a CE who defends "reviews" that claim ColdHeat is actually
better for 'sensitive' components. He relies on published reviews over
any user comments because he believes reviews are based on controlled
laboratory settings where the device is used properly rather than users
who may be misusing it.

It's unfortunate that most sensitive devices that would require very
delicate soldering in the first place are probably too expensive to
risk destroying in the name of researching the uslessness of something
the has the "As Shown on TV" label on it.