Why do ripe fruits -- especially when canned -- smell bad? -- excluding apples and cantaloupes

1 view

Radium

Jul 27, 2007, 10:32:40 PM7/27/07
Hi:

I know I've brought this subject up before but I just can't get over
it. I apologize profusely to those who might be annoyed. You may
notice some changes though.

I notice that many fruits [excluding apples & cantaloupes] emit foul
odors when ripe. What chemicals are responsible for this? I've done as
much research as I can on this but not gotten anywhere. This isn't a
homework assignment. I am asking these questions out of personal
interest.

I hate those odors. That why I like to eat apricots, peaches, and
similar fruits when they are sour, hard, and greenish. When sour,
hard, and greenish, most fruits smell pleasant. When they are too
ripe, they become excessively sweet, grossly-soft up and turn mucus
yellow; this is when they start to stink.

What causes those immeasurably-foul odors?

It could not be putricine. Putricine smells like rotting flesh, which
is also a foul odor but totally different from that of ripe fruits. To
my nose, over-ripe fruits don't have a smell that even nearly
resembles rotting flesh. Both are equally bad odors, though.

Its also not ethylene - a chemical used to speed ripening. Ethylene
has a sweet pleasant smell to it. I have smelled it myself in a lab.
It's beautiful.

Butyric acid smells like stinky cheese [including Swiss], smelly feet,
sweaty shirts, dirty socks, neck-sweat, back sweat, filthy scalp and
unwashed hair. So it definitely isn't butyric acid. In fact, since
these foul odors occur after ripening [a process which uses up the
acids]; I doubt that any acid or acidic substance is responsible for
the foul odor of ripe fruits.

I notice the stink especially in canned fruits. Most fresh fruits
don't have as much of a strong stink even when ripe. However, canned
fruits [often dripping in syrup] have an unbearable stench to me.
Maybe it is something to do with the sugar? I don't know. I do know
that it has nothing to do with the metals of the can or the effects of
the metals on the fruit/syrup. Perhaps the ripe substances are more
concentrated in the can, than when fresh.

Why do canned ripe fruits stink more badly than fresh ripe fruits?

Also, it can't be ethanol. I like the smell of ethanol.

I've asked similar questions in science newsgroups, and they think I
have an olfactory perception disorder causing me to perceive odors
differently from other humans. I don't believe this at all.

I've taken smell tests in my organic chemistry lab. I've takes organic
chemistry as a course in my college. Long list of chemicals I've gone
through. Still no answer to the stench of ripe fruits. In addition,
none of the chemicals I sniffed even remotely smell like ripe fruit.

My guess is the stink of ripe fruits is a result of a mixture of
different organic substances, excluding both the following chemicals
and their effects on other chemicals:

1. putricine [or any amines]

2. ethylene [sweet smell]

3. butyric acid [or any acid/acidic substance for that matter]

4. ethanol [sweet smell resembling most alcoholic beverages]

4. chemicals resulting from fungus

5. chemicals resulting from decomposition [including bacterial decay]

6. Hydrocarbons [compounds containing only Carbon and Hydrogen]

7. Alcohols [organic compounds with attached OH hydroxide molecule]

8. Chemicals that specifically result from -- or are affected by --
rancidity

9. Inorganic substances -- such as metals

10. Effects of inorganic substances on organic substances

I have tried tiresomely searching on google but there are no websites
that have an answer to my question.

Also, I've noticed that most ripe fruits do not have to be rotten in
order to give off the foul odors I sense. Simply being ripe causes the
odor.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

If this is out of your expertise would you please give me an idea of
who could answer my question?

No offense but please respond with reasonable answers & keep out the
jokes, off-topic nonsense, exaggerations, taunts, insults, and
trivializations. I am really interested in this.

I am 23 years old, free-of-brain-tumors, but have a neurological
disability called Asperger's Syndrome.

I would like to give you some information about my disability. The
reason I am posting this message about Asperger's is to help avoid any
potential misunderstandings [though it's probably too late].

I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). AS is a
neurological condition that causes significant impairment in social
interactions. People with AS see the world differently and this can
often bring them in conflict with conventional ways of thinking. They
have difficulty in reading body language, and interpreting subtle
cues. In my situation, I have significant difficulty with natural
conversation, reading social cues, and maintaining eye contact. This
can lead to a great deal of misunderstanding about my intent or my
behavior. For example, I may not always know what to say in social
situations, so I may look away or may not say anything. I also may not
always respond quickly when asked direct questions, but if given time
I am able express my ideas.

On Usenet, the text-equivalent of my disability is probably noticed. I
do apologize profusely, for any inconvenience it causes.

Thank you very much in advance for your understanding, cooperation,
and assistance.

Thanks,

Radium

Mark Thorson

Jul 27, 2007, 10:47:50 PM7/27/07
Radium wrote:

> I hate those odors. That why I like to eat apricots, peaches, and
> similar fruits when they are sour, hard, and greenish. When sour,
> hard, and greenish, most fruits smell pleasant. When they are too
> ripe, they become excessively sweet, grossly-soft up and turn mucus
> yellow; this is when they start to stink.
>
> What causes those immeasurably-foul odors?

A couple possibilities you haven't considered are
ethyl acetate and isoamyl acetate.

Radium

Jul 28, 2007, 12:31:21 AM7/28/07
On Jul 27, 7:47 pm, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:

> A couple possibilities you haven't considered are
> ethyl acetate and isoamyl acetate.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/sltc/methods/partial/pv2142/pv2142.html

According to the above link, isoamyl acetate smells like pears or
bananas. Wrong chemical.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/ethylacetate/recognition.html

According to the above link, ethyl acetate has a pleasant fruity odor.
Again, wrong chemical.

Neither ethyl acetate or isoamyl acetate are responsble for the ripe
fruit odor.

Radium

Jul 28, 2007, 12:32:19 AM7/28/07
On Jul 27, 7:47 pm, Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:

Oh and I have three additional chemicals to rule out:

1. Ammonia
2. Urea
3. Sulfides and other sulfur-containing compounds

Mark Thorson

Jul 28, 2007, 12:48:43 AM7/28/07
Radium wrote:

> http://www.osha.gov/dts/sltc/methods/partial/pv2142/pv2142.html
>
> According to the above link, isoamyl acetate smells like pears or
> bananas. Wrong chemical.
>
> http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/ethylacetate/recognition.html
>
> According to the above link, ethyl acetate has a pleasant fruity odor.
> Again, wrong chemical.
>
> Neither ethyl acetate or isoamyl acetate are responsble for the ripe
> fruit odor.

The OSHA descriptions are how they smell to the rest of us.
Not necessarily you. You'll need to smell them yourself
to determine if they match with what is bothering you.
Pineapple has a lot of ethyl acetate. Bananas have a lot
of isoamyl acetate.

Billy Rose

Jul 28, 2007, 1:18:46 AM7/28/07
In article <1185589960.5...@x40g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Radium <gluce...@excite.com> wrote:

Wow. Is it that time of year again?

For one who is socially impaired you seem to be very, very lucid. You
have posted this request at least twice before and most responders have
told you that you were mistaken (to put the best possible face on it).
Hopefully, this time you will get the drift, that the rest of us don't
notice, what you seem to notice. Either accept your uniqueness or buzz
off. Sorry for my abruptness, but the question could have been stated
less dramatically and you could have accepted previous responses. You
must have personal friends of whom you could pose this question or have
you burned them out as well?

What do you call a person who does the same thing and expects a
different outcome?
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Michael Moroney

Jul 28, 2007, 11:21:04 AM7/28/07
Radium <gluce...@excite.com> writes:

>Hi:

>I know I've brought this subject up before but I just can't get over
>it. I apologize profusely to those who might be annoyed. You may
>notice some changes though.

One change I notice that _didn't_ happen is not writing this:

>What causes those immeasurably-foul odors [of ripe fruit]?

The last half dozen times you asked this, you were told, ripe fruits
don't have an "immeasurably-foul odor" to most people. Most people
find them very pleasant smelling. I'll go as far as to say that you
are probably the only person in the world who finds ripe fruit to have
an "immeasurably-foul odor".

You were also told that, since nobody here has your nose or brain other
than yourself, you're going to have to sample organic chemicals that are
components of fruity odors, such as ethyl acetate to find out which
chemical that smells pleasant to everyone else has this "immeasurably-foul
odor". Nobody else can answer this but yourself.

You can skip such craziness as putricine or whatever. Fruits contain
chemicals that smell good to everyone other than yourself.

Radium

Jul 28, 2007, 2:47:02 PM7/28/07
On Jul 28, 8:21 am, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney)
wrote:

I've used many of those fruit-flavored air-fresheners. They smell like
paradise. Bananas, mangoes, peaches, strawberry, etc. All those air-
fresheners with fruity-fragrance are just wonderful.

This further increases my confusion and frustration over why ripe
*actual* fruits [excluding apples, pears, honeydew, and canteloupes]
stink so badly -- especially when canned.

Mark Thorson

Jul 28, 2007, 11:23:18 PM7/28/07
Billy Rose wrote:

> What do you call a person who does the same thing and
> expects a different outcome?

President of the United States?

Billy Rose

Jul 29, 2007, 1:11:47 AM7/29/07
In article <46AC0826...@sonic.net>,
Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:

Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

jellybean stonerfish

Jul 29, 2007, 3:39:56 AM7/29/07
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:11:47 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:

> In article <46AC0826...@sonic.net>,
> Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Billy Rose wrote:
>> >
>> > What do you call a person who does the same thing and
>> > expects a different outcome?
>>
>> President of the United States?
>
> Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.

But would he make good mulch?

Omelet

Jul 29, 2007, 8:33:07 AM7/29/07
In article <46AC0826...@sonic.net>,
Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:

<LOLOL>!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet

Jul 29, 2007, 8:33:53 AM7/29/07
In article
<rosefam-303A08...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
Billy Rose <ros...@sonic.net> wrote:

> In article <46AC0826...@sonic.net>,
> Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > Billy Rose wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you call a person who does the same thing and
> > > expects a different outcome?
> >
> > President of the United States?
>
> Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.

I dunno about that... Mass murderers are generally considered
Psychopaths.

Think Hitler.

Omelet

Jul 29, 2007, 8:34:06 AM7/29/07
In article <gvXqi.41621$Um6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,
jellybean stonerfish <stone...@geocities.com> wrote:

Compost.

Billy Rose

Jul 29, 2007, 9:49:44 AM7/29/07
In article <omp_omelet-FA3AE...@news.giganews.com>,
Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article
> <rosefam-303A08...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
> Billy Rose <ros...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <46AC0826...@sonic.net>,
> > Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:

> > > President of the United States?
> >
> > Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.
>
> I dunno about that... Mass murderers are generally considered
> Psychopaths.
>
> Think Hitler.

Antisocial personality disorder (APD) is a psychiatric condition
characterized by an individual's common disregard for social rules,
norms, and cultural codes, as well as impulsive behavior, and
indifference to the rights and feelings of others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

Billy Rose

Jul 29, 2007, 9:50:21 AM7/29/07
In article <omp_omelet-C5404...@news.giganews.com>,
Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <gvXqi.41621$Um6....@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net>,
> jellybean stonerfish <stone...@geocities.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 22:11:47 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:

> > > Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.
> >
> > But would he make good mulch?
>
> Compost.

Manure

Mark Thorson

Jul 29, 2007, 5:34:46 PM7/29/07
Radium wrote:

> I hate those odors. That why I like to eat apricots, peaches, and
> similar fruits when they are sour, hard, and greenish. When sour,
> hard, and greenish, most fruits smell pleasant. When they are too
> ripe, they become excessively sweet, grossly-soft up and turn mucus
> yellow; this is when they start to stink.
>
> What causes those immeasurably-foul odors?

You perceive these odors differently from other people
because you have multiple chemical sensitivity.
You need to educate yourself about this condition
and communicate with other people who have it,
to learn about methods of coping with this serious
condition. Here's a place you can start:

http://www.multiplechemicalsensitivity.org/

You won't get any useful advice in sci newsgroups,
because most of these people are part of an
industry-wide effort to discredit even the
acceptance of MCS as a genuine medical disorder.
You shouldn't listen to them, because they'll
just try to convince you it's all in your head.

Get involved with the MCS support and activist
groups, and then you'll make progress toward
understanding and coping with your condition.

Omelet

Jul 30, 2007, 3:12:02 AM7/30/07
In article
<rosefam-851D6F...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
Billy Rose <ros...@sonic.net> wrote:

> In article <omp_omelet-FA3AE...@news.giganews.com>,
> Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <rosefam-303A08...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
> > Billy Rose <ros...@sonic.net> wrote:

> > > Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.
> >
> > I dunno about that... Mass murderers are generally considered
> > Psychopaths.
> >
> > Think Hitler.
>
> Antisocial personality disorder (APD) is a psychiatric condition
> characterized by an individual's common disregard for social rules,
> norms, and cultural codes, as well as impulsive behavior, and
> indifference to the rights and feelings of others.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

I think there is more to it than that...

I like to call it "Rich Boy Syndrome".

Basically, he hasn't a clu' and could learn a lot from spending some
time sleeping behind dumpsters, and eating out of them.

Omelet

Jul 30, 2007, 3:12:20 AM7/30/07
In article
<rosefam-B5CE28...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
Billy Rose <ros...@sonic.net> wrote:

Composted Manure.

Jan Flora

Jul 30, 2007, 3:39:56 AM7/30/07

Bear bait.

Omelet

Jul 30, 2007, 3:50:41 AM7/30/07
In article <snowshoe-F0CA87...@prawn.nwc.acsalaska.net>,
Jan Flora <snow...@xyz.net> wrote:

Shark bait.

neils...@yahoo.com.au

Jul 30, 2007, 10:35:19 PM7/30/07
On Jul 28, 10:32 am, Radium <glucege...@excite.com> wrote:
> I've asked similar questions in science newsgroups, and they think I
> have an olfactory perception disorder causing me to perceive odors
> differently from other humans. I don't believe this at all.

Radium,

Why don't you think that you perceive odours differently to most
others? Perhaps the same brain wiring and chemistry that gives you
the disorder you have also means that your senses aren't quite the
same as most?

And even amongst "ordinary" humans there is lots of variation in sense
of smell. For example, where I work it is useful to be able to smell
low concentrations of cyanide (as hydrogen cyanide gas). Most people
smell something like almonds. One person says he doesn't smell it,
but instead he tastes it. There is another who can't smell it at all,
and so is totally dependent on personal electronic sensors and lab
cyanide alarms to warn if something is going wrong.

Unfortunately I forget the chemical, but at a lecture I went to
(relating to smell) a tiny quantity from the front of the theatre. A
few seconds later there were people at the back who could identify
it. Soon about half the room could smell it. The rest of us never
detected it at all.

You might well know somebody who can't smell skunks - one in a
thousand people can't.

Sense of smell is also known to vary with mood. And also people that
have epilepsy sometimes experience strange smells. The way smell
works isn't well understood - there are multiple theories just for the
physical process that goes on in your nose.

So it sounds entirely reasonable to me that what smells fine to others
may sometimes smell immeasurably-foul to you. People do have
different likes and dislikes in smells and tastes for a reason.

Neil

Mark Thorson

Jul 30, 2007, 11:01:40 PM7/30/07
neils...@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> And even amongst "ordinary" humans there is lots of variation in sense
> of smell. For example, where I work it is useful to be able to smell
> low concentrations of cyanide (as hydrogen cyanide gas). Most people
> smell something like almonds. One person says he doesn't smell it,
> but instead he tastes it. There is another who can't smell it at all,
> and so is totally dependent on personal electronic sensors and lab
> cyanide alarms to warn if something is going wrong.

In college organic chemistry, I worked with strong cyanide
reagents and sometimes they were dumped down the sink
with acids that would liberate HCN gas, causing
evacuation of the undergraduate chem lab, and I never
noticed any odor like almonds or anything else.

Apparently, this is well known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide#Appearance_and_odor

Omelet

Jul 31, 2007, 10:22:53 AM7/31/07
In article <1185849319.8...@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
neils...@yahoo.com.au wrote:

<snipped excellent post for space>

> So it sounds entirely reasonable to me that what smells fine to others
> may sometimes smell immeasurably-foul to you. People do have
> different likes and dislikes in smells and tastes for a reason.
>
> Neil

On an odd note, I've noted that my sense of smell has improved
drastically and become FAR more sensitive (almost too sensitive lately)
since I got back in the habit of taking trace minerals.

Just a personal observation.

It's almost annoying. At the moment, it's gotten bad enough to where
it's irritating to be stopped in traffic behind a cigarette smoker in a
car. I appear to be sensitive to that particular stench. (Sorry, but it
smells very bad to me!). :-P

And I'm not even one of those dorks that tends to have a real problem
with smokers rights. I'm against the ban on public smoking as long as
there are places for them to go and I can escape from it...

They recently banned all smoking at work. Needless to say, it's not
working. Visitors are going to smoke so the ban can only be enforced
against employees. No way in hell can security stop patients and
visitors from smoking even tho' they are supposed to try. <G>

I think it's hilarious that they even bothered to pass the "policy".

Now there are cigarette butts all over the ground outside of the ER
because they removed all the ash trays.

Duh.

Anyway, I'm wondering if Trace Mineral supplementation might be able to
help Radium develop a more normal sense of smell. I use "Natures Plus"
brand Trace Minerals. Inexpensive.

They also seem to help with Sciatica pain.

Billy Rose

Jul 31, 2007, 12:51:49 PM7/31/07
In article <omp_omelet-A044E...@news.giganews.com>,
Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sensitivity to tobacco smoke just means that it isn't common in your
environment. Tobacco is very addictive, as witnessed by people on
ventilators, smoking during treatment. Leaving ash trays would just,
as we say now, enable smokers to injure themselves and others. The best
thing that ever came from tobacco was the Bob Newhart routine about Sir
Walter Raleigh phoning England to tell them of his wonderful new
discovery.
--------
. . . Tob-acco... er, what's tob-acco, Walt?...
It's a kind of leaf, huh?...
And you bought eighty tonnes of it?!!...
Let me get this straight, Walt, you've bought eighty tonnes of leaves?
This may come as a kind of a surprise to you Walt but come fall in
England, we're kinda upto our...
It isn't that kind of leaf, huh?...
Oh!, what kind is it then... some special kind of food?...
Not exactly?...
Oh, it has a lot of different uses, like, what are some of the uses,
Walt?...
Are you saying 'snuff', Walt?...
What's snuff?...
You take a pinch of tobacco, ha! ha! ha!...
And you shove it up your nose. ha! ha! ha!...
and it makes you sneeze? ha! ha! ha!...
Yeh, I imagine it would, Walt! Hey, Goldenrod seems to do it pretty well
over here!
It has other uses though, huh?...
You can chew it!...
Or put it in a pipe!...
Or you can shred it up...
And put it in a piece of paper. ha! ha! ha!...
And roll it up. ha ha ha...
Don't tell me, Walt, don't tell me. ha! ha! ha! you stick it in your
ear, right? ha! ha! ha!...
Oh! between your lips!...
Then what do you do, Walt? ha! ha! ha!...
You set fire to it! ha! ha! ha!...
Then what do you do, Walt?...
Ha! ha! ha! You inhale the smoke, huh! ha! ha! ha!...
You know, Walt... it seems you can stand in front of your own fireplace
and have the same thing going for you!

http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Tobacco.htm
----------

A different observation is that I take medication for hypertension (had
it all my life) but it didn't seem to be working. I started drinking
water with "self heal" steeped in it and my blood pressure went to
normal (123/76), which is most un-normal for me. I use 3 oz - 4 oz
chopped-"self heal" (mint and lemon added for flavor)/ waterpitcher. I
let the water pitcher stand for at least an hour and then refill with
water as needed for 2 - 3 days (It is the drinking water). The putative
effects were immediate and enduring. I still take my medications but,
with the doctor's consent, I will cut back on them to see how causal
the relationship is between the "Prunellae vulgaris" and the
hypertension.

zxcvbob

Jul 31, 2007, 4:06:43 PM7/31/07
Radium wrote:

> Butyric acid smells like stinky cheese [including Swiss], smelly feet,
> sweaty shirts, dirty socks, neck-sweat, back sweat, filthy scalp and
> unwashed hair. So it definitely isn't butyric acid. In fact, since
> these foul odors occur after ripening [a process which uses up the
> acids]; I doubt that any acid or acidic substance is responsible for
> the foul odor of ripe fruits.

IIRC, "stinky cheese [including Swiss], smelly feet, sweaty shirts,
dirty socks, neck-sweat, back sweat, filthy scalp and unwashed hair" is
exactly how you described this alleged smell when you posted your
annoying foolishness in rec.gardens a year or two ago.

Bob

zxcvbob

Jul 31, 2007, 4:10:18 PM7/31/07
Billy Rose wrote:
> In article <46AC0826...@sonic.net>,
> Mark Thorson <nos...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Billy Rose wrote:
>>> What do you call a person who does the same thing and
>>> expects a different outcome?
>> President of the United States?
>
> Good call, half credit. No. A psychopath. The President is a sociopath.

It's a false dichotomy. Both words mean the same thing (in spite of
what Hannibal Lecter says)

Bob

zxcvbob

Jul 31, 2007, 4:12:22 PM7/31/07

Have you considered taking-up smoking? Perhaps unfiltered cigarettes?
They tend to change one's perception of tastes and smells. HTH ;-)

Bob

mzlin...@earthlink.net

Jul 31, 2007, 4:26:47 PM7/31/07
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:32:40 -0700, Radium <gluce...@excite.com>
wrote:

>I notice that many fruits [excluding apples & cantaloupes] emit foul
>odors when ripe. What chemicals are responsible for this? I've done as
>much research as I can on this but not gotten anywhere. This isn't a
>homework assignment. I am asking these questions out of personal
>interest.
>

>I hate those odors. That why I like to eat apricots, peaches, and
>similar fruits when they are sour, hard, and greenish. When sour,
>hard, and greenish, most fruits smell pleasant. When they are too
>ripe, they become excessively sweet, grossly-soft up and turn mucus
>yellow; this is when they start to stink.

Well, there's certainly more sugar in them then.

>What causes those immeasurably-foul odors?

[...]

>I notice the stink especially in canned fruits. Most fresh fruits
>don't have as much of a strong stink even when ripe. However, canned
>fruits [often dripping in syrup] have an unbearable stench to me.
>Maybe it is something to do with the sugar?

Try sniffing some fructose (not table sugar). Not only is ripe
fruit full of it, but cooking in the canning process concentrates
it, and the "syrup" is often high fructose corn syrup.

Does fresh organic fruit give you the same reaction? That would
eliminate at least chemical fertilizers and insecticides from the
candidates. They might also affect the specific chemical reactions
involved when fruit is overripe.

I'd say that whether you've got MCS or not, and whatever the smell
is, your body is telling you not to eat it, so I certainly wouldn't
force it.

[...]

>I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (AS). AS is a
>neurological condition that causes significant impairment in social
>interactions. People with AS see the world differently and this can
>often bring them in conflict with conventional ways of thinking. They
>have difficulty in reading body language, and interpreting subtle
>cues. In my situation, I have significant difficulty with natural
>conversation, reading social cues, and maintaining eye contact. This
>can lead to a great deal of misunderstanding about my intent or my
>behavior. For example, I may not always know what to say in social
>situations, so I may look away or may not say anything. I also may not
>always respond quickly when asked direct questions, but if given time
>I am able express my ideas.
>
>On Usenet, the text-equivalent of my disability is probably noticed.

No, I don't see you writing anything inappropriate. I think it's
probably the obsessive component of the syndrome causing any
problems. Email me if you want to compare Asperger's. :)

Carol

Omelet

Aug 1, 2007, 11:59:11 AM8/1/07
In article
<rosefam-4718BB...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
Billy Rose <ros...@sonic.net> wrote:

> Sensitivity to tobacco smoke just means that it isn't common in your
> environment.

I won't argue with that, but it did not used to annoy me to be behind a
car at a stoplight with a smoker! I really do think that the proper
supplements have enhanced my sense of smell.

> Tobacco is very addictive, as witnessed by people on
> ventilators, smoking during treatment. Leaving ash trays would just,
> as we say now, enable smokers to injure themselves and others. The best
> thing that ever came from tobacco was the Bob Newhart routine about Sir
> Walter Raleigh phoning England to tell them of his wonderful new
> discovery.

<lol> Too funny, thanks!

I've also heard that lime juice and coconut juice mixed work for
hypertension. And no, that is not meant as humor...

What is the common name of that herbal please?

Billy Rose

Aug 1, 2007, 1:18:42 PM8/1/07
In article <omp_omelet-1A0E4...@news.giganews.com>,
Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > A different observation is that I take medication for hypertension (had
> > it all my life) but it didn't seem to be working. I started drinking
> > water with "self heal" steeped in it and my blood pressure went to
> > normal (123/76), which is most un-normal for me. I use 3 oz - 4 oz
> > chopped-"self heal" (mint and lemon added for flavor)/ waterpitcher. I
> > let the water pitcher stand for at least an hour and then refill with
> > water as needed for 2 - 3 days (It is the drinking water). The putative
> > effects were immediate and enduring. I still take my medications but,
> > with the doctor's consent, I will cut back on them to see how causal
> > the relationship is between the "Prunellae vulgaris" and the
> > hypertension.
> > --
> > FB - FFF
>
> I've also heard that lime juice and coconut juice mixed work for
> hypertension. And no, that is not meant as humor...
>
> What is the common name of that herbal please?

http://www.holistic-online.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h343.htm

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Prunella+vulgaris

http://www.herbnet.com/Herb%20Uses_RST.htm (as self-heal)

Biological Name: Prunellae vulgaris

Other Names: Prunella, Xia ku cao, self heal, all heal

Parts Used: flower spike

Remedies For:

Antipyretic, diuretic, anti-inflammatory antihypertensive vasodilator.

Prunella is used for painful, red, and/or swollen eyes often associated
with hypertension. It is also very effective for softening and resolving
swollen lymph glands, goiter, breast lumps, cancer and tumors.

Grows both in the northwestern and north- eastern parts of North America.

Dosage: 9-15 grams

As I wrote, I'm still taking two allopathic medications besides the
Prunella but I was going to have to start a third to get my BP down. I
want to reduce the amount of pharmaceuticals that I'm ingesting as I've
seen them reduce people to alzheimer levels of awareness. Besides, our
species has spent millions of years in dealing with herbs and only a
hundred years, maybe, dealing with the pharmaceutical companies.

I am surprised that the Prunella produced such dramatic and rapid
results. The plant is a type of mint and very easy to grow (as with all
mints). I'm reading different things about what part of the plant to use
but for the time I'm just using the flower spikes. The infusion (cold)
has little taste. I add spearmint or peppermint, plus lemon for flavor.
As I said, we use it for our cold drinking water and just replace the
water that we take out for a couple of days and then make a fresh batch.
Probably only the first pitcher has a therapeutic dose but the effects
seem to linger on.

Message has been deleted

Billy Rose

Aug 1, 2007, 6:53:51 PM8/1/07
In article <t0p1b3pgccsacbsdk...@4ax.com>, Charlie wrote:

> OK......you got my attention. I didn't know heal-all (self-heal) had
> hypotensive properties, and I realize results may vary from person to
> person, I'm going to have to add this.
>
> How much of a reduction is dramatic and how rapidly did it occur for
> you? Sounds like it stabilized your pressure, as well. And are you
> using any other herbals, like hawthorne. I'm trying to get a grip on
> my elevation here.

Hey Charlie, the change was like 165/95 ---> 127/ 76 has been at this
level for 3 weeks now with no change in meds. Yeah, these things can be
statistically valid for groups and not for individuals. All I saying is
that I see a difference and the prunella is the only difference. For now
let's call it anecdotal.

Message has been deleted

Omelet

Aug 2, 2007, 11:27:38 AM8/2/07