When the sun becomes a white dwarf why will it take SO long to cool off?

1 view

Radium

Aug 18, 2006, 3:56:14 PM8/18/06
Hi:

I've read about the sun's life cycle. Apparently, when the sun becomes
a white dwarf, it will take at least a trillion years to completely
cool off. Why such a long time?

It seems that the sun would exist much longer dead [i.e. as a white
dwarf] than alive [burning hydrogen and helium].

Any assistance on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks,

Radium

Sco

Aug 18, 2006, 4:05:32 PM8/18/06
In my research, The temperature of earth core is 2000 C warmer than the Sun.
The Earth took a long time to cool off.

"Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> wrote in message

Double-A

Aug 18, 2006, 4:06:31 PM8/18/06

Radium wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've read about the sun's life cycle. Apparently, when the sun becomes
> a white dwarf, it will take at least a trillion years to completely
> cool off. Why such a long time?

That does seem strange, since neutron stars cool relatively quickly due
to neutrino emmission. Of course neutron stars get a lot hotter than
white dwarf stars.

> It seems that the sun would exist much longer dead [i.e. as a white
> dwarf] than alive [burning hydrogen and helium].

So will you.

Double-A

Brian Tung

Aug 18, 2006, 4:03:43 PM8/18/06
Radium wrote:
> I've read about the sun's life cycle. Apparently, when the sun becomes
> a white dwarf, it will take at least a trillion years to completely
> cool off. Why such a long time?

Because at that point, the Sun will still have a lot of heat left, but
it will be radiating it much slower than it does now.

A white dwarf is the hot exposed core of the progenitor star. As such,
it contains most of the heat that was in the star at the time that it
died. But the white dwarf radiates heat much slower than it did when
the star was alive, simply because its surface area is so much smaller.

The Sun as a white dwarf will be, let's say, 100 times smaller (by
diameter) than it is now, meaning it will be 10,000 times smaller by
area. To be sure, it will initially be quite hot, perhaps four times
hotter (in kelvins) than it is now, so it'll radiate tens of times more
energy per unit area than it does now. Still, that means that its
overall rate of radiation (and therefore rate of cooling) will be
several hundreds of times slower than it is now.

That factor will only increase as the Sun cools down, and the rate at
which it radiates off into space slows down. It will approach the cold
of interstellar space only very slowly at the end.

--
Brian Tung <br...@isi.edu>
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

Sam Wormley

Aug 18, 2006, 6:34:33 PM8/18/06
Radium wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've read about the sun's life cycle. Apparently, when the sun becomes
> a white dwarf, it will take at least a trillion years to completely
> cool off. Why such a long time?

Small surface area.

> It seems that the sun would exist much longer dead [i.e. as a white
> dwarf] than alive [burning hydrogen and helium].

It will exist far longer as a cold degenerate body.

jacob navia

Aug 18, 2006, 7:44:45 PM8/18/06

Excuse me but what is "degenerate" in a white dwarf?

I mean they are made of normal matter, albeit very
concentrated, not neutron stars, nor quark stars, just
balls of iron and heavy elements at very high densities.

Nothing degenerate at all.

Brian Tung

Aug 18, 2006, 7:54:09 PM8/18/06
jacob navia wrote:
> Excuse me but what is "degenerate" in a white dwarf?
>
> I mean they are made of normal matter, albeit very
> concentrated, not neutron stars, nor quark stars, just
> balls of iron and heavy elements at very high densities.
>
> Nothing degenerate at all.

White dwarfs are held up by electron degeneracy--the Pauli exclusion
principle as applied to the electrons in the white dwarf. It keeps the
matter from getting squeezed in further. That is probably what Sam
meant.

Incidentally, white dwarfs do not typically contain iron; stars small
enough to form white dwarfs (as opposed to neutron stars or black holes)
aren't massive enough to fuse that far.

Sam Wormley

Aug 18, 2006, 8:22:08 PM8/18/06

Background
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_matter

"Unlike a classical ideal gas, whose pressure is proportional to its
temperature (PV = nkT, where P is pressure, V is the volume, n is
the number of particles (typically atoms or molecules), k is
Boltzmann's constant, and T is temperature), the pressure exerted
by degenerate matter depends only weakly on its temperature. In
particular, the pressure remains nonzero even at absolute zero
temperature. At relatively low densities, the pressure of a fully
degenerate gas is given by P = Kn^5/3, where K depends on the
properties of the particles making up the gas. At very high
densities, where most of the particles are forced into quantum
states with relativistic energies, the pressure is given by P =
K'n^4/3, where K' again depends on the properties of the particles
making up the gas".

Sam Wormley

Aug 18, 2006, 8:25:52 PM8/18/06
jacob navia wrote:

> Excuse me but what is "degenerate" in a white dwarf?
>
> I mean they are made of normal matter, albeit very
> concentrated, not neutron stars, nor quark stars, just
> balls of iron and heavy elements at very high densities.
>
> Nothing degenerate at all.

Besides being degenerate, white dwarf are mostly carbon
and oxygen.

RT

Aug 19, 2006, 12:22:47 AM8/19/06

Radium wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've read about the sun's life cycle. Apparently, when the sun becomes
> a white dwarf, it will take at least a trillion years to completely
> cool off. Why such a long time?

Because as a condensed mass it will be far more efficient at conserving
its energy
and mass compared to how it radiated during the hyrdogen phase.

> It seems that the sun would exist much longer dead [i.e. as a white
> dwarf] than alive [burning hydrogen and helium].

Not exactly dead by any means, just different but still very much alive
compared
to how you will be molding in the grave!

John Carruthers

Aug 19, 2006, 4:13:37 AM8/19/06

An exemplary answer Mr. Tung ;-) I only wish I'd written that in my
last exam ;-(
jc

Boo

Aug 19, 2006, 6:53:53 AM8/19/06
> Besides being degenerate, white dwarf are mostly carbon
> and oxygen.

Ideal places to saearch for extra-terrestrial life in fact ?

--
Boo

Sam Wormley

Aug 19, 2006, 9:05:08 AM8/19/06

Degenerate matter life? Could be a problem.

Boo

Aug 19, 2006, 12:40:25 PM8/19/06

So chemistry doesn't work, who needs it anyway ?

--
Boo

Ed

Aug 19, 2006, 1:28:10 PM8/19/06

So there are not any stone cold dead white dwarfs?

Radium

Aug 19, 2006, 4:37:33 PM8/19/06

Ed wrote:
> So there are not any stone cold dead white dwarfs?

If they are cold [as cold as the surrounding outer space], then they
are "black" dwarfs

Radium

Aug 19, 2006, 4:39:55 PM8/19/06

At the high-temperatures white dwarfs are, won't the carbon and oxygen
combine to form CO2?

AFAIK, complete oxidation of carbon yields carbon dioxide.

The temperatures of white dwarfs are FAR more than enough to burn the
carbon with oxygen and form CO2.

Bluebeard

Aug 19, 2006, 5:18:58 PM8/19/06

"Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> wrote in message

This is what was dealt with in response to my question to 'Ask Alan' in the
September 'Astronomy Now'. Although he did re-phrase my question somewhat,
in the main it was answered. Despite many previous tries, it's the first
time anybody actually has...

These dead stars, black dwarves, 'cinders', call them what-you-will, have
always fascinated me because their actual nature is always glossed over in
astronomy texts.

We learn from Alan:

1) These earth-sized objects have probably become spherical diamonds by the
time they cool.

2) Cooling to ambient takes of the order of 25 billion years - so none exist
yet.

3) The tallest possible mountains on these dead stars are about 200 metres
high. I was surprised by this - I rather expected a ball-bearing smooth
body, but then diamonds are pretty hard and resist compression well, eh ?

Bluebeard

Sam Wormley

Aug 19, 2006, 7:41:16 PM8/19/06

White Dwarf
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/WhiteDwarf.html
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l2/dwarfs.html

"With a surface gravity of 100,000 times that of the earth, the
atmosphere of a white dwarf is very strange. The heavier atoms in
its atmosphere sink and the lighter ones remain at the surface.
Some white dwarfs have almost pure hydrogen or helium atmospheres,
the lightest of elements. Also, the very strong gravity pulls the
atmosphere close around it in a very thin layer, that, if were it
on earth, would be lower than the tops of our skyscrapers!

"Underneath the atmosphere of many white dwarfs, scientists think
there is a 50 km thick crust, the bottom of which is a crystalline
lattice of carbon and oxygen atoms. One might make the comparison
between a cool carbon/oxygen white dwarf and a diamond! (After all,
a diamond is just crystallized carbon!)"

Electron Degeneracy Pressure
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ElectronDegeneracyPressure.html

Ed

Aug 19, 2006, 11:45:05 PM8/19/06

So are they diamonds yet?
And if so, what would they radiate or
reflect being diamonds?

Bluebeard

Aug 20, 2006, 5:40:11 AM8/20/06

"Ed" <ed1w...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> So are they diamonds yet?

No, not yet

> And if so, what would they radiate or
> reflect being diamonds?

They would reflect, although they'd also go through a very long period of
radiating in the infra-red as the cooling process was finishing. One
imagines a flat-looking crystalline landscape in glittering white diamond,
dimly illuminated by starlight, though maybe carbon dioxide would be present
there in some form too ?

If we were to land there, in an attempt 'to walk on a star', we would be
squashed flat and resemble badly cooked omelettes.

Obviously I speak from ignorance, though in this I appear not to be alone.
Very little work seems to have been done on what these 'dead stars' would
actually be like.

Bluebeard

Radium

Aug 20, 2006, 3:55:00 PM8/20/06

When the sun become a black dwarf, will it ever get a chance to cool to
around 70 Fahrenheit? Or will it likely form another star before?

Ed

Aug 20, 2006, 6:38:46 PM8/20/06

I just wondered if there is a particular wavelength that just diamonds
would re radiate?

Llanzlan Klazmon

Aug 20, 2006, 8:38:14 PM8/20/06
"Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> wrote in news:1156103700.335569.172140
@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You can do the calculation yourself. Knowing the surface area of the dwarf,
the specific heat of degenerate matter made of carbon and oxygen combined
with the Stefan-Boltzmann law. i.e radiated power goes as the fourth power
of temperature. That is good enough as a first approximation anyway. BTW,
if a black dwarf manages to accumulate additional mass through accretion
then it runs into a small problem once it reaches about 1.4 Solar masses.
At that point, the pressure caused by the object's own gravity, can no
longer be resisted by electron degeneracy pressure. This means that the
dwarf starts to collapse but now all that Carbon and Oxygen is then
available as fuel. Kablooooie. Type 1a supernova.

Klazmon.

Ed

Aug 20, 2006, 10:47:34 PM8/20/06

Nope Klaz, I can't....if I could I'd be on top of Mauna Kea right now:)

Radium

Aug 21, 2006, 12:36:43 AM8/21/06

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't scientists beleive that the sun is
not massive enough to become a supernova?

> Klazmon.

Brian Tung

Aug 21, 2006, 12:43:28 AM8/21/06
Radium wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but don't scientists beleive that the sun is
> not massive enough to become a supernova?

That latter part was after the "BTW" where Klazmon qualified it by
requiring the white dwarf to have accumulated more than 1.4 solar
masses of material.

Llanzlan Klazmon

Aug 21, 2006, 12:59:55 AM8/21/06
"Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> wrote in

You are correct but I specifically said the dwarf accumulated additional
matter till the point it reached 1.4 solar masses. Reread what I wrote.

Klazmon.

>> Klazmon.

Richard Tobin

Aug 22, 2006, 6:22:02 PM8/22/06
In article <ec56ev$3k9$1...@praesepe.isi.edu>, Brian Tung <br...@isi.edu> wrote:

>A white dwarf is the hot exposed core of the progenitor star. As such,
>it contains most of the heat that was in the star at the time that it
>died. But the white dwarf radiates heat much slower than it did when
>the star was alive, simply because its surface area is so much smaller.

Why does smaller surface area mean less radiation? If each particle is
radiating as much, what difference does it make how small a volume they
are contained in?

-- Richard

Brian Tung

Aug 22, 2006, 6:27:56 PM8/22/06
Richard Tobin wrote:
> Why does smaller surface area mean less radiation? If each particle is
> radiating as much, what difference does it make how small a volume they
> are contained in?

I think you're thinking of the white dwarf as an essentially transparent
object, so that you can "see" the radiation of central particles just as
easily as you can see that of the particles on the surface. If it were,
then you'd be right, and the white dwarf would cool off much faster than
it does in fact. But white dwarfs are opaque, so only the radiation
from the surface gets out unimpeded. That from particles further in
gets absorbed, keeping the white dwarf hot.

Steve Willner

Aug 23, 2006, 3:54:00 PM8/23/06
In article <1156019995....@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

"Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> writes:
> At the high-temperatures white dwarfs are, won't the carbon and oxygen
> combine to form CO2?

This seems slightly confused. At high temperatures, molecules tend
to dissociate to form individual atoms. At even higher temperatures,
the atoms break up into separate nuclei and electrons. And at
temperatures higher still (far above anything relevant to stellar
atmospheres), the nuclei themselves break up.

All the above is, of course, for ordinary pressures. White dwarfs
are degenerate (as someone else wrote), and things are more
complicated. However, there are no molecules except perhaps in the
outer atmospheres of the coolest white dwarfs.

One paper that gives specific cooling curves is by Hansen & Phinney
(1998 MNRAS 294, 557). Fig. 11 shows that an initially hot white
dwarf with 0.45 solar masses of material will cool to 10000 K in its
first billion years and to 4000 K in its next 9 billion. If it
formed at the beginning of time, it would today have a temperature a
bit above 3000 K. Smaller white dwarfs will be cooler, but even one
of 0.15 solar masses would still have a temperature above 2000 K
today.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123 swil...@cfa.harvard.edu
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

Llanzlan Klazmon

Aug 28, 2006, 9:41:04 PM8/28/06
ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote in

The radiation is only from the surface as the bulk of the white dwarf is
essentially opaque. It is an interesting point though with respect to
neutron stars. When they are initially formed, their temperature is
expected be of the order of 10^11 K degrees. However their initial rate of
cooling is much faster than you would expect from the Stefan-Boltzmann law
applied to their surface area. The reason is that much of their initial
heat energy is lost via neutrino emission rather than photons. A large
percentage of the neutrinos can escape from the bulk of the neutron star
unimpeded as the neutron star is largely transparent to neutrinos.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0409/0409751.pdf

Klazmon

> -- Richard

Joseph Lazio

Aug 30, 2006, 2:33:26 PM8/30/06

SW> jacob navia wrote:
>> Excuse me but what is "degenerate" in a white dwarf? I mean they
>> are made of normal matter, albeit very concentrated, not neutron
>> stars, nor quark stars, just balls of iron and heavy elements at
>> very high densities. Nothing degenerate at all.

SW> Besides being degenerate, white dwarf are mostly carbon and
SW> oxygen.

I think that's only true of some WDs. The composition of a WD depends
upon what its progenitor mass was. Stars less massive than the Sun I
believe are expected to become helium WDs because they don't have the
mass to initiate the fusion of He to C.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail: jla...@patriot.net
No means no, stop rape. | http://patriot.net/%7Ejlazio/

Steve Willner

Aug 31, 2006, 4:58:44 PM8/31/06

In article <ypz4pvu...@adams.patriot.net>,

Joseph Lazio <jla...@adams.patriot.net> writes:
> I think that's only true of some WDs. The composition of a WD depends
> upon what its progenitor mass was. Stars less massive than the Sun I
> believe are expected to become helium WDs because they don't have the
> mass to initiate the fusion of He to C.

Joe is correct, of course. I don't know what the dividing line is;
those courses were a long time ago! I vaguely recall it's quite a
bit less than a solar mass but could easily be wrong. I don't
suppose it's too much lower than a solar mass, though, or no helium
white dwarfs would yet have formed. White dwarfs with helium and
even hydrogen _atmospheres_ exist, but that doesn't necessarily
reflect the interior composition.

Radium

Sep 2, 2006, 1:52:26 PM9/2/06

Steve Willner wrote:
> In article <1156019995....@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> writes:
> > At the high-temperatures white dwarfs are, won't the carbon and oxygen
> > combine to form CO2?

> This seems slightly confused. At high temperatures, molecules tend
> to dissociate to form individual atoms. At even higher temperatures,
> the atoms break up into separate nuclei and electrons. And at
> temperatures higher still (far above anything relevant to stellar
> atmospheres), the nuclei themselves break up.

Huh? If that was the case, then there would be nuclear fusion would
require much lower temperatures.

Steve Willner

Sep 6, 2006, 5:21:52 PM9/6/06

In article <1157219546.8...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,

"Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> writes:
> Huh? If that was the case, then there would be nuclear fusion would
> require much lower temperatures.

Why would you think that? Fusion means combining nucleons, not
separating them.

Nuclear fusion in stars occurs when the temperature is sufficient to
overcome the Coulomb barrier: i.e., the electrical repulsion of the
protons in colliding nuclei. For p-p fusion, the necessary
temperature is around 10 million kelvins. For the carbon cycle, the
repulsion is 12 times higher, and temperature needs to be higher by
about the same factor (actually a bit less because 12C + p goes by
the strong interaction, not the weak one).

Temperature to dissociate molecules is about 1000 K, to ionize atoms
about 10000 K, and to break up nuclei about 10^11 K.

Radium

Sep 6, 2006, 6:08:11 PM9/6/06

Steve Willner wrote:
> SW> At high temperatures, molecules tend to dissociate to form
> SW> individual atoms. At even higher temperatures, the atoms break
> SW> up into separate nuclei and electrons. And at temperatures
> SW> higher still (far above anything relevant to stellar
> SW> atmospheres), the nuclei themselves break up.
>
> In article <1157219546.8...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
> "Radium" <gluc...@excite.com> writes:
> > Huh? If that was the case, then there would be nuclear fusion would
> > require much lower temperatures.
>

> Why would you think that? Fusion means combining nucleons, not
> separating them.

Fusion is the combining of nucleons. However, you said nuclei break up
at extremely high temperatures. That is fission, not fusion.

> Nuclear fusion in stars occurs when the temperature is sufficient to
> overcome the Coulomb barrier: i.e., the electrical repulsion of the
> protons in colliding nuclei. For p-p fusion, the necessary
> temperature is around 10 million kelvins. For the carbon cycle, the
> repulsion is 12 times higher, and temperature needs to be higher by
> about the same factor (actually a bit less because 12C + p goes by
> the strong interaction, not the weak one).

Okay.

> Temperature to dissociate molecules is about 1000 K, to ionize atoms
> about 10000 K, and to break up nuclei about 10^11 K.

Once again, breaking up a nucleus is fission, not fusion.