'Tetracarbon', 40 times harder than diamond?

Robert Clark

Sep 8, 2006, 2:35:49 PM9/8/06
It's referred to as "polyyne" here:

Polyyne said to be 40 times harder than diamond.
http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=2111

The research is published here:

Harder than Diamond: Determining the Cross-Sectional Area and Young's
Modulus of Molecular Rods.
Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Volume 44, Issue 45, Pages
7315-7483 (November 18, 2005).
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112130826/ABSTRACT

The research actually only calculated Young's modulus. It didn't
measure it.
Also the hardness claim is coming from the fact the calculated Young's
modulus was 40 times that of diamond, and hardness is correlated to
Young's modulus.

Bob Clark

Uncle Al

Sep 8, 2006, 5:32:11 PM9/8/06

Let's ask a simple low-tech question: Are Israeli diamond cutters
lining up to put it on their wheels?

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 9, 2006, 12:00:19 AM9/9/06
In sci.physics, Uncle Al
<Uncl...@hate.spam.net>
wrote
on Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:32:11 -0700
<4501E15B...@hate.spam.net>:

> Robert Clark wrote:
>>
>> It's referred to as "polyyne" here:
>>
>> Polyyne said to be 40 times harder than diamond.
>> http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=2111
>>
>> The research is published here:
>>
>> Harder than Diamond: Determining the Cross-Sectional Area and Young's
>> Modulus of Molecular Rods.
>> Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Volume 44, Issue 45, Pages
>> 7315-7483 (November 18, 2005).
>> http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112130826/ABSTRACT
>>
>> The research actually only calculated Young's modulus. It didn't
>> measure it.
>> Also the hardness claim is coming from the fact the calculated Young's
>> modulus was 40 times that of diamond, and hardness is correlated to
>> Young's modulus.
>>
>> Bob Clark
>
> Let's ask a simple low-tech question: Are Israeli diamond cutters
> lining up to put it on their wheels?

I also seem to recall -- don't remember the details now -- of a
theoretical explosive that basically fizzled. Something tells me
we have a long way to go before predictive chemistry becomes the
norm. :-)

In any event diamond's crystal structure is a very interesting and
regular pattern; I doubt it can really be improved upon using pure
carbon.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

Prai Jei

Sep 9, 2006, 4:06:47 AM9/9/06
The Ghost In The Machine (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in
message <lvp9t3-...@sirius.tg00suus7038.net>:

> I also seem to recall -- don't remember the details now -- of a
> theoretical explosive that basically fizzled. Something tells me
> we have a long way to go before predictive chemistry becomes the
> norm. :-)

Octanitrocubane C8(NO2)8 is predicted to be a more powerful explosive than
most of what the military are using now, and safer to handle.

Predicted. Up till now nobody has got more than two nitro's onto the cubane
nucleus.

If "polyyne" is really -C≡C-C≡C- (that's alternate single and triple bonds
between the carbons in case the character doesn't come out) I can't see how
it can be stable - the triple bond is not "the strongest" bond but the most
reactive. Also the linear structure would be strong in one dimension only
giving the stuff a fibrous texture.
--
Warning: keel away from child for hot bulb

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

zzbu...@netscape.net

Sep 9, 2006, 5:47:40 AM9/9/06

Uncle Al wrote:
> Robert Clark wrote:
> >
> > It's referred to as "polyyne" here:
> >
> > Polyyne said to be 40 times harder than diamond.
> > http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=2111
> >
> > The research is published here:
> >
> > Harder than Diamond: Determining the Cross-Sectional Area and Young's
> > Modulus of Molecular Rods.
> > Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Volume 44, Issue 45, Pages
> > 7315-7483 (November 18, 2005).
> > http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112130826/ABSTRACT
> >
> > The research actually only calculated Young's modulus. It didn't
> > measure it.
> > Also the hardness claim is coming from the fact the calculated Young's
> > modulus was 40 times that of diamond, and hardness is correlated to
> > Young's modulus.
> >
> > Bob Clark
>
> Let's ask a simple low-tech question: Are Israeli diamond cutters
> lining up to put it on their wheels?

That''s doesn't really matter.
Since Israeli diamond cutters are the most
proton-ignorant Swahili retards to visit Earth
since Bill Clonton.

hanson

Sep 9, 2006, 5:23:22 PM9/9/06
<zzbu...@netscape.net> wrote in message

"Prai Jei" <pvsto...@zyx-abc.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> If "polyyne" is really -C?C-C?C- (that's alternate single and

> triple bonds between the carbons in case the character doesn't
> come out) I can't see how it can be stable - the triple bond is not
> "the strongest" bond but the most > reactive. Also the linear
> structure would be strong in one dimension only giving the stuff a
> fibrous texture.

[Uncle Al]

>> Let's ask a simple low-tech question: Are Israeli diamond cutters
>> lining up to put it on their wheels?

[zzgunker]

> That''s doesn't really matter. Since Israeli diamond cutters are
> the most proton-ignorant Swahili retards to visit Earth since
> Bill Clonton.

[hanson]
..... ahahahaha... zz, don't get so extra terrestrial ... If Al is right
then it's simply another Jewish game of cons conning cons.

------------------ [Interesting side note] -----------------

"Prai Jei" <pvsto...@zyx-abc.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Octanitrocubane C8(NO2)8 is predicted to be a more powerful
> explosive than most of what the military are using now, and safer
> to handle. Predicted. Up till now nobody has got more than two
> nitro's onto the cubane nucleus.

[hanson]
Why is that? Steric hindrance or e-charge rejection? The
analog aromatic C6(NO2)6 is known, so is the aliphatic C(NO2)4

------------------ [Interesting side note] -----------------
>> --
>> Uncle Al : http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qz3.pdf

[hanson]
I notice that your qz3.pdf is dated 15-Jan-06. So, Al, what
happened to that Eotvoes/Chirality/Gravitation project since
then? How is that Chinese situation going/coming along?
Do you have any other irons in the fire for it?
hanson

Father Haskell

Sep 9, 2006, 8:10:57 PM9/9/06

Uncle Al wrote:
> Robert Clark wrote:
> >
> > It's referred to as "polyyne" here:
> >
> > Polyyne said to be 40 times harder than diamond.
> > http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=2111
> >
> > The research is published here:
> >
> > Harder than Diamond: Determining the Cross-Sectional Area and Young's
> > Modulus of Molecular Rods.
> > Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Volume 44, Issue 45, Pages
> > 7315-7483 (November 18, 2005).
> > http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112130826/ABSTRACT
> >
> > The research actually only calculated Young's modulus. It didn't
> > measure it.
> > Also the hardness claim is coming from the fact the calculated Young's
> > modulus was 40 times that of diamond, and hardness is correlated to
> > Young's modulus.
> >
> > Bob Clark
>
> Let's ask a simple low-tech question: Are Israeli diamond cutters
> lining up to put it on their wheels?

What's the crystal shape? Abrasives need to be sharp
as well as hard.

zzbu...@netscape.net

Sep 9, 2006, 8:40:12 PM9/9/06

Well, that's always the way it's going to be
with commercial diamonds. since the only
thing they're even used for is cutting other diamonds.
Most of us figured even people as stupid as Israels,
Egyptians, Africans, Australians, Mexicans, Jimmy Carter,
and moron Europeans would figure it out sonner or later.

But since it's industrial diamands that you use
to make stealth titanium, the only thing that really
still surprises us about Jews is that the
Swiss still haven't foreclosed on all the Africans yet.

Bret Cahill

Sep 9, 2006, 9:54:18 PM9/9/06
Isn't diamond _already_ tetra?

Bret Cahill

Sorcerer

Sep 9, 2006, 10:49:24 PM9/9/06

"Bret Cahill" <BretC...@aol.com> wrote in message

| Isn't diamond _already_ tetra?
|

| Bret Cahill

Yes.
The standard test for hardness is depth of penetration, whether
that is diamond into a steel surface or your dick.

Androcles

The Ghost In The Machine

Sep 9, 2006, 11:00:08 PM9/9/06
In sci.physics, Bret Cahill
<BretC...@aol.com>
wrote
on 9 Sep 2006 18:54:18 -0700
<1157853258.8...@d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>:

> Isn't diamond _already_ tetra?
>

> Bret Cahill

http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/a4.html

suggests diamond is an A4 lattice. Take four carbon atoms
in a tetrahedron and add four additional atoms with an
appropriate "kink", then replicate.

The JMOL applet is a good method to see this in quasi-3D.

luc...@sbcglobal.net

Sep 9, 2006, 11:19:51 PM9/9/06

"Sorcerer" <Headm...@hogwarts.physics_b> wrote in message

> "Bret Cahill" <BretC...@aol.com> wrote in message
> | Isn't diamond _already_ tetra?
>
> Yes.

-hedral, yes, but that's not what the name refers to. If this is about the
Angewandte article that I glanced at last week, I think this is a polymer of
a substituted 1,3-butadiyne, X-CCCC-X. If I remember the article right, it
is a sort of poly(tetracarbon) molecule, by insertion of an alkyne triple
bond into a C-X bond. Again, if I remember right, the structure of the
polymer is an alternating ene-yne-ene-yne structure, so it's less rigid than
the ene-ene-ene structure of polyacetylene, but not as unidimensionsional as
an yne-yne-yne unsubstituted polycarbon linear chain. Besides, I think John
Gladysz did a very nice job of showing that conjugated polyynes (polycarbon)
are very reactive and poorly stable, and a poor choice for a high-strength
material.

Eric Lucas

Sorcerer

Sep 9, 2006, 11:41:07 PM9/9/06

<luc...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Thanks. At least that explains what the fuss was all about.
So when can I get a leather strop impregnated with it and hone
my razor, taking care not to allow any reaction? I need a shave,
you see.
Androcles

luc...@sbcglobal.net

Sep 10, 2006, 12:10:49 AM9/10/06

> Thanks. At least that explains what the fuss was all about.
> So when can I get a leather strop impregnated with it and hone
> my razor, taking care not to allow any reaction?

Don't hold your breath.

> I need a shave,
> you see.

:^) Grow a beard. The sleep I've saved since I did has amounted to about
24 hours per year.

Eric Lucas

Sorcerer

Sep 10, 2006, 12:33:26 AM9/10/06

<luc...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Dang... I've been holding my breath for so many years now my
beard has turned white, I figured that was the end of the 5-o'clock shadow
and I could start shaving again... but not until my razor is honed.

Father Haskell

Sep 10, 2006, 2:18:33 AM9/10/06
Sorcerer wrote:

> Thanks. At least that explains what the fuss was all about.
> So when can I get a leather strop impregnated with it and hone
> my razor, taking care not to allow any reaction? I need a shave,
> you see.

Silica already present in cowhide means you don't need,
and really shouldn't use, additional abrasives. It'd be more
useful as a paste for charging buffing wheels.

Actually, what you need is a thin base carrier impregnated
with superfine grit. Maybe 2, 3x finer than my best surgical
black Arkansas. Then use the strop.

Father Haskell

Sep 10, 2006, 2:21:41 AM9/10/06
zzbu...@netscape.net wrote:

> But since it's industrial diamands that you use
> to make stealth titanium,

Nope. We use cubic zirconium, from the QVC Cubic
Zirconium Hour.

Sorcerer

Sep 10, 2006, 6:54:33 AM9/10/06

"Father Haskell" <father...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks Dad...
I see you use a thin base substrate sandpaper in place of
carbonpaper... but wouldn't tetracarbonpaper make 40
hard copies of your speeding ticket?

Androcles

Autymn D. C.

Sep 10, 2006, 9:04:40 AM9/10/06
Robert Clark wrote:
> Polyyne said to be 40 times harder than diamond.
> http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=2111

See my reply there. For stabler materials, I don't see much talk about
paracuanojèn derivativs, which must mean that the Groom Lake base is
a'doing mead work on them. By the way, did you know that the Mohs
chart leaves off plumbago for 0? Poluyne must then be -1.

-Aut

hanson

Sep 10, 2006, 11:03:00 AM9/10/06

> zzbu...@netscape.net wrote:
>> But since it's industrial diamands that you use
>> to make stealth titanium,

[Fatha]

> Nope. We use cubic zirconium, from the QVC Cubic
> Zirconium Hour.

[hanson]
Get it right, Fatha! They use pubic circumonium,
from the Circumcision Hour. Here are the details:
http://www.SexuallyMutilatedChild.org/mohel.htm

ahahahaha... ahahahanson

zzbu...@netscape.net

Sep 10, 2006, 12:56:55 PM9/10/06

Zirconium in any form is only used by Disney.
Since they'te the only people that
actually hire ABC idiots.