[fitsbits] The Vatican adopts FITS

William Pence

Apr 27, 2010, 1:08:05 PM4/27/10
to FITSBITS
Here is an interesting announcement from the Vatican about their plans
to create a digital archive of manuscripts in the Vatican Library in
FITS format. It's a 10 year project that will eventually contain 40
million manuscript pages and will total 45 petabytes in size.

A couple blog entries are here:

http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/archives.html
http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/2010/03/80000-vatican-mss-to-be-digitized.html

And an Italian newspaper article is here:
http://www.repubblica.it/tecnologia/2010/04/20/news/biblioteca_vaticana-3489668/
(babel fish gives a fairly coherent translation to English)

They chose to use the FITS format over alternatives like tiff, pdf or
Jpg 2000 because it is a simple, free, open-source, well-documented
archival format that should survive technical evolutions and still be
readable well into the future.

Bill Pence
Dr. William Pence Willia...@nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662 HEASARC +1-301-286-4599 (voice)
Greenbelt MD 20771 +1-301-286-1684 (fax)

LC's No-Spam Newsreading account

Apr 28, 2010, 6:18:46 AM4/28/10
On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, William Pence wrote:

> Here is an interesting announcement from the Vatican about their plans
> to create a digital archive of manuscripts in the Vatican Library in
> FITS format.

There is also a semi-official statement in English in the Newsletter of
the Vatican Library

http://www.vaticanlibrary.va/home.php?pag=newsletter_art_00087

nos...@mi.iasf.cnr.it is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Rob Seaman

Apr 28, 2010, 5:34:39 PM4/28/10
to FITSbits, William Pence
This story is absolutely delightful! It has even made it to slashdot.

The Vatican Newsletter mentions a "technical feasibility study". Does
anybody have a copy of this study? Were any of our august members
involved in the evaluation? Do we know how they are planning to
handle color? Or compression?

Yipes! A successful project with the Vatican archives is likely to
influence other such projects worldwide. The FITS community is poised
to become very much larger in scope.

Rob
--

> Here is an interesting announcement from the Vatican about their plans
> to create a digital archive of manuscripts in the Vatican Library in

Arnold Rots

Apr 28, 2010, 5:45:45 PM4/28/10
to Rob Seaman, William Pence, FITSbits
It had occurred to me that this might be a reason for us to revive the
discussion on multicolor encodings from a few years ago. It would seem
like an absolute must if one is serious about digitizing manuscripts.
Yes, this is huge if they decide to proceed!

I passed it on to our colleagues at Smithsonian Archives...

As to compression, I assume that the only type acceptable would be
loss-less compression.

Cheers,

- Arnold

Arnold H. Rots Chandra X-ray Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory tel: +1 617 496 7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67 fax: +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138 ar...@head.cfa.harvard.edu
USA http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/

Giuseppe Vacanti

Apr 30, 2010, 7:36:03 AM4/30/10
to fits...@listmgr.cv.nrao.edu

On 04/30/2010 11:47 AM, Thierry Forveille wrote:
> Rob Seaman a �crit :
>> Lots of interesting issues here:
>>
> Should the FITS working group perhaps try to establish a contact and
> offer our (limited) help??

On this point I should like to notice that the article in Italian
reports that IBM and the Vatican plan to submit the FITS standard to ISO
in order to make it an official image preservation and dissemination
standard. This seems to me a process the FITS community will want to get
involved in (if the report is correct).

Regards,

--
Giuseppe Vacanti - cosine Science & Computing BV (KvK 28077080)
Niels Bohrweg 11, 2333 CA Leiden, The Netherlands