Properties with multiple values

Philip Jägenstedt

Jun 15, 2011, 5:16:13 PM6/15/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
In Microdata, a property does not have a single value, but rather an
array of value that just happens to have length 1 a lot of the time.
Schema.org uses this with for example Organization, which can have
many employees, founders, etc.

Outside of the obvious cases, what is the thinking about using
multiple values? Is it always allowed to have multiple values, is it
always forbidden or is it just not documented?

An example where multiple values makes no sense and should be invalid
is deathDate on Person.

For description, does using it multiple times imply concatenating
those descriptions, or is only the first used?

(As you can see, the processing of the vocabulary is still not very
tightly defined, but I hope it will be.)

--
Philip Jägenstedt

Dzonatas Sol

Jun 15, 2011, 7:12:11 PM6/15/11
On 06/15/2011 02:16 PM, � wrote:
> In Microdata, a property does not have a single value, but rather an
> array of value that just happens to have length 1 a lot of the time.
> Schema.org uses this with for example Organization, which can have
> many employees, founders, etc.

Property is more like one real region, which implies numbers, yet there
is no urn:schema.org:Thing:Region except where someone want to scale
that to urn:schema.org:Thing, region.

> Outside of the obvious cases, what is the thinking about using
> multiple values? Is it always allowed to have multiple values, is it
> always forbidden or is it just not documented?

Not all web-browser know how to dynamically compile web pages pivotal
entities.

> An example where multiple values makes no sense and should be invalid
> is deathDate on Person.

Or, just use <div table> format and leave that row blank. Some values
are explicitly reserved.

> For description, does using it multiple times imply concatenating
> those descriptions, or is only the first used?

If the resource expresses pivotal entities then concatenation is
trivial. ASCII is the explicit basis for XML.

urn:url:<span resource>&resource.description; &colon; &resource.name;
&colon; &resource.image;</span>

For example: url:data:xml:html:<a>.

> (As you can see, the processing of the vocabulary is still not very
> tightly defined, but I hope it will be.)

This does allow us use of expressions without literals. All undeclared
numbers in in programming languages are literal values that operate as
magic objects until mathematically proven. Schema helps validate that
default contract in determination if magic values exist. Or, if people
should use spreadsheets instead of plain html without word processors.

Then we can transpose XML to this style for optimization:

<on event do script>...</script>

There surely vocabulary differences in transient things and tangible
things, like the word asset.

--
--- http://twitter.com/Dzonatas_Sol ---
Web Development, Software Engineering

Guha

Jun 16, 2011, 12:56:35 AM6/16/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Right now, it is always allowed to have multiple values.

In the future, we could/should introduce a property of properties that specifies when a property may have only a single value.

guha

Philip Jägenstedt

Jun 16, 2011, 2:18:45 AM6/16/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks Guha.

--
Philip Jägenstedt

Philip Jägenstedt

Jun 16, 2011, 2:55:59 AM6/16/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, but it appears as if you have answered a complete different
set of questions than was asked. Please start new threads if you want
to discuss unrelated issues.

--
Philip Jägenstedt

Dzonatas Sol

Jun 16, 2011, 9:48:48 AM6/16/11
On 06/15/2011 11:55 PM, � wrote:

> Thanks, but it appears as if you have answered a complete different
> set of questions than was asked. Please start new threads if you want
> to discuss unrelated issues.

Pardon me if I answered them in the paradigm aware of HTTP/XML-context,
which html, microdata, and schema.org uses as one basis. I wanted to
make sure solutions already exist (and hinted at them) in the intended
paradigm before there was any need to change any related schema or
lower-level design to solve issues related to properties.