#3 Coworking, Strategy, and April News.

1 view

Stephanie Booth

Apr 12, 2009, 9:52:42 AM4/12/09
to sbo...@googlegroups.com
ENGLISH (français: plus bas)

=============================

Gosh, a newsletter!

Yes, I've left you without news for a long time, haven't I? Here's
some news from Stephanie-land (what I've been upto since early
November, last time you heard from me).

Coworking
--------------

The coworking space has opened and is doing great. Check out the site
and blog (in FR) at <http://eclau.ch/>. An article about eclau was
recently published on WWD
<http://webworkerdaily.com/2009/04/07/coworking-stories-eclau-founder-stephanie-booth/>
and a few journalists have showed interest in featuring the space. If
you know somebody who might be interested in covering eclau/coworking
in Lausanne, let me know. We also have space for extra coworkers
(particularly hot-desking people). There are promotional flyers
available if you want some (give me your address and I'll send some,
or drop by to say hi and pick some up).

We organise an "apéro" every quarter, and are starting with monthly
breakfasts (10th of each month, or next business day) this April. Both
these events are open to the public. If you want to receive alerts for
them, please:

- join the eclau group on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38409350862>

or

- sign up for the eclau newsletter <http://groups.google.com/group/eclau-amis>

You may also follow @eclau on Twitter <http://twitter.com/eclau>.

Positioning
--------------

Six weeks ago I finally understood that my main interest is strategy,
so I'm slowly repositionning myself (from: "person who does all sorts
of internet stuff" to "strategist"). I shared some of my thoughts
about this process in this blog post:
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/03/22/to-be-or-not-to-be-a-new-media-strategist/>.

My business site is going to through a re-haul
<http://stephanie-booth.com> -- I intend to organise another "Website
Pro Day" shortly with other people who are interested in firewalling a
day to work on their own professional online presence. Let me know if
you'd like to take part (it will be held at eclau, but you can also
join remotely).

Business
------------

After a rather slow 2008 dominated by Going Solo and SoloCamp, the
first quarter of 2009 indicates business is picking up for me, with a
couple of regular engagements (<http://fleurdepains.ch/> and
<http://blog.ebookers.com/fr/>, both of which are coming along
nicely), various WordPress-based websites to set up, individual
coaching and training sessions (from basic computer literacy to
installing WordPress) and a good handful of interested parties for
more general social media or strategic consulting. I'm not fully
booked though, so open for business.

No requests for talks or foreign consulting so far for 2009, though!

Bloggy Friday
------------------

The monthly Bloggy Friday meetings are being held regularly at the
restaurant Chez Rony in Lausanne. Initially a bloggers' meet-up,
Bloggy Fridays are now simply an occasion to share a meal with people
"somewhat in the social media industry" or interested by it.

They're open to all and announced on facebook, so join the group if
you want to be invited to the next ones:
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2241029877>. I also announce
them on Twitter, but I don't blog about them systematically. They
normally take place on the first Friday of each month, from 8pm
onwards.

Writing
---------

A few months ago I reconnected with my desire to write fiction. I've
been regularly publishing 50-word stories on CTTS, as well as a few
longer 300-word ones. If you're interested in this kind of exercise,
you should join us on Facebook to share your short stories.

- my short stories on CTTS: <http://climbtothestars.org/tags/50words/>
and <http://climbtothestars.org/tags/300words>
- 50-word stories on Facebook, in English
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49163727465> and in French
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67335087358>

I gave Henriette Weber a hand proofing the English version of her
ebook <http://www.toothlesstigerpress.com/rockbands>, and that revived
my desire to write a few myself. I guess all I have to do is firewall
some time to do it :-). I'm also helping Henriette get her ebook
translated in French.

Travel
--------

I think I haven't left Switzerland since last October, apart to go to
LeWeb in Paris in December! I'm travelling much less (budget
restrictions and more local projects) and it's done a lot for my
quality of life, I have to say.

Most of my travelling these days involves going to my chalet about
once a month for a long refreshing week-end in the mountains
<http://climbtothestars.org/tags/auchalet/>.

I will be in Leeds next month (May 9-13) to visit family, but drop me
a line if you'd like to go for coffee/dinner/shopping.

Conferences
-----------------

People have been asking about Going Solo (no event planned in 2009,
2010 more likely):
<http://going-solo.net/2009/04/12/going-solo-status/>. I attended
LeWeb in December <http://lewebparis.com/>, for which I was taking
care of blogger accreditations (and should be doing so again this
year). In February, I attended Lift09
<http://www.liftconference.com/lift09/>, and talked about the eclau
coworking project during a workshop organised by Pierre Belcari.
Here's a video of the workshop: <http://www.klewel.ch/blog/?p=658>

Ada Lovelace Day
-------------------------

On March 24th, I took part in Ada Lovelace Day, an online event
organised by my friend Suw Charman-Anderson. The objective of the day
was to make female role models in technology more visible by blogging
about them. More than 1000 bloggers took part. I advised Suw a little
for this event and helped her promote it, and I'm really glad it
turned out to be the huge success it was.

- Finding Ada website: <http://findingada.com/>
- my article about Marie Curie (in FR):
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/03/24/journee-ada-lovelace-marie-curie/>
- my wrap-up post, a week after the event, with thanks and links to
those who blogged about me for ALD09:
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/04/01/a-week-after-ada-lovelace-day-ald09/>

Backup Awareness Day
--------------------------------

On February 24th, 9pm, the day before the Lift09 conference, I
accidentally dropped my whole blog database instead of just a table. I
didn't know when my last backup had been. By chance, I had done a
WordPress export of my blog 4 months before, and managed to get the
missing posts and comments from feedly and Backtype. Most of the blog
is now back up, but I still need to import those last 4 months.
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/03/08/progress-in-restoring-ctts/>

This adventure reminded me (again) of the importance of backups. Many
people (I the first) are guilty of sloppy backups. I have decided to
call the 24th of each month Backup Awareness Day, and encourage people
to use that day to backup their blogs and data, put in place automatic
backup systems, and help others do so. You'll read about it soon on
CTTS.

Keeping in touch
----------------------

As you have noticed, I am not flooding you with newsletters. To help
keep you informed on the more regular projects I'm working on, here
are some other "outlets" I would recommend signing up to. Most are
very quiet, but being signed up will mean that if something starts
happening, you'll know about it.

Coworking:

- general Léman discussion group
<http://groups.google.com/group/coworking-leman/>
- Coworking Switzerland facebook group
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3499114357>, and Coworking
Léman <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50136055054>
- eclau newsletter (in FR)
<http://groups.google.com/group/eclau-amis>, facebook group
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38409350862>, and fan page
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eclau-Espace-Coworking-Lausanne/63213963589>
(if you're in the facebook group you'll automatically be notified of
apéros and other breakfasts we organise)
- eclau on Twitter: <http://twitter.com/eclau>

Bloggy Friday:

- join the Facebook group if you don't want to miss the next meeting!
<http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2241029877>

Going Solo:

- facebook group: <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12748128087>
- newsletter: <http://going-solo.net/2008/04/30/going-solo-has-a-newsletter/>
- Twitter: <http://twitter.com/goingsolo>

Me stuff:

- in addition to subscribing to <http://climbtothestars.org/> by RSS,
you can also ask to receive my posts by e-mail
<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=ctts>
- I've created a fan page on Facebook to hopefully help me manage the
large number of friend requests I get on Facebook:
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Booth/59088978548>
- Bagha now has his own Twitter account: <http://twitter.com/bagha> --
tell your feline friends
- I'm actively posting things on Tumblr: <http://steph.tumblr.com>

Hopefully, I won't wait six months before sending out my next newsletter to you!

Thanks for keeping in touch,

Stephanie

=============================
=============================
=============================

FRANÇAIS

=============================
=============================
=============================

Bon sang, une newsletter!

Oui, ça fait un bail que je ne vous ai pas donné de nouvelles. En
voici quelques-unes -- les dernières datant de début novembre.

Coworking
--------------

L'espace coworking a ouvert et se porte bien. Visitez le site (avec
blog!) <http://eclau.ch>. WWD a récemment publié un article en anglais
au sujet de l'eclau
<http://webworkerdaily.com/2009/04/07/coworking-stories-eclau-founder-stephanie-booth/>
et quelques journalistes ont exprimé le désir de couvrir ce sujet. Si
vous connaissez quelqu'un qui aimerait faire un article, prévenez-moi.
Nous avons également encore de la place pour des coworkers (membres
volants surtout). Il y a des flyers promotionnels à disposition
(m'envoyer votre adresse ou passer faire un saut).

Nous organisons quatre fois par an un apéro dînatoire, et commençons
ce moi avec les petits déjeûners de l'eclau (le 10 de chaque mois ou
le jour ouvrable suivant). Ces deux événements sont ouverts au public.
Pour vous tenir informé, merci de:

- vous inscrire au groupe eclau sur Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38409350862>

ou

- vous abonner à la newsletter des amis de l'eclau
<http://groups.google.com/group/eclau-amis>

L'eclau est aussi sur Twitter <http://twitter.com/eclau>. Pour le
p'tit déj d'avril (c'est mardi!), direction doodle:
<http://doodle.com/9w7p2x6v7ntymxcy>

Positionnement
---------------------

Il y a six semaines, j'ai enfin compris que ma préoccupation
principale était la stratégie. Je suis donc en train de me
repositionner gentiment (de "je fais plein de trucs avec internet" à
"je fais du conseil stratégique"). Vous pouvez lire en anglais
quelques-unes de mes réflexions sur cette transition:
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/03/22/to-be-or-not-to-be-a-new-media-strategist/>.

Je prévois un sérieux lifting pour mon site professionnel
<http://stephanie-booth.com> -- j'ai l'intention d'organiser un
nouveau "Website Pro Day" bientôt avec d'autres personnes qui désirent
mettre de côté une journée pour travailler sur leur présence
professionnelle en ligne. Faites signe si vous voulez y prendre part!
Ce sera à l'eclau.

Business
------------

L'année 2008 a été un peu lente côté business, et dominée par Going
Solo et SoloCamp. Le premier trimestre 2009 s'annonce bien. Les
affaire reprennent, avec quelques mandats réguliers qui se portent
bien (<http://fleurdepains.ch/> et <http://blog.ebookers.com/fr/>),
l'installation de divers sites sous WordPress, du coaching et de la
formation (des bases de l'utilisation d'un ordinateur à l'installation
de WordPress) et une bonne poignée d'intéressés pour du consulting
orienté stratégie et nouveaux médias. and a good handful of interested
parties for more general social media or strategic consulting. Je
reste cependant ouverte aux affaires!

Par contre, pas tellement de demandes en ce qui concerne les
conférences et les mandats à l'étranger en 2009, pour le moment.

Bloggy Friday
------------------

Les rencontres mensuelles Bloggy Friday ont lieu régulièrement au
restaurant Chez Rony à Lausanne. A l'origine rencontre de blogueurs,
les Bloggy Friday sont devenus l'occasion de partager un repas avec
d'autres personnes du coin branchées nouveaux médias (ou simplement
intéressées).

Ces rencontres sont ouvertes à tous et annoncées sur facebook. Pour ne
pas les rater, rejoignez le groupe Bloggy Friday Lausanne:
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2241029877>. Je les annonce
aussi sur Twitter, mais pas forcément dans mon blog. Le Bloggy Friday
a normalement lieu chaque premier vendredi du mois, dès 20h.

Ecriture
----------

Il y a quelques mois, j'ai repris contact avec mon désir d'écrire de
la fiction. Depuis, je publie régulièrement des histoires de 50 mots
sur CTTS (et aussi quelques-unes de 300 mots). Si l'exercice vous
intéresse, joignez-vous à nous sur Facebook pour partager vos propres
écrits.

- mes histoires en 50 et 300 mots sur CTTS:
<http://climbtothestars.org/tags/50words/> et
<http://climbtothestars.org/tags/300words>
- histoires de 50 mots sur Facebook, en anglais
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49163727465> et en français
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67335087358>

J'ai donné un coup de main à Henriette Weber pour la version anglaise
de son ebook <http://www.toothlesstigerpress.com/rockbands>, et ça a
ravivé mon désir d'en écrire quelques-uns moi-même. Il me faut juste
prévoir le temps! J'aide aussi Henriette (avec l'aide de Stéphanie K.)
à traduire son ebook en français.

Voyages
-----------

Je crois bien que je n'ai pas quitté la Suisse depuis Octobre, sauf
pour aller à Paris pour LeWeb en décembre! Je voyage beaucoup moins
qu'avant (restrictions budgétaires et plus de projets locaux) et
j'avoue que ma qualité de vie est bien meilleure.

La plupart de mes déplacements ces temps m'amènent au chalet, environ
une fois par mois, pour un week-end prologné à la montagne.
<http://climbtothestars.org/tags/auchalet/>.

Je serai à Leeds le mois prochain (9-13 mai) pour visiter ma famille.

Conférences
-----------------

On me demande des nouvelles de Going Solo, en voici (pas d'événement
prévu pour 2009, plutôt 2010):
<http://going-solo.net/2009/04/12/going-solo-status/>. J'ai particip à
la conférence LeWeb à Paris en décembre <http://lewebparis.com/>. Je
m'occupais des accréditations blogueurs pour cet événement et devrais
refaire de même cette année. En février, j'étais à la conférence
Lift09 <http://www.liftconference.com/lift09/>. J'y ai parlé de
l'eclau à l'occasion d'un workshop animé par Pierre Belcari. Voici une
vidéo du workshop (en anglais): <http://www.klewel.ch/blog/?p=658>

Ada Lovelace Day
-------------------------

Le 24 mars, j'ai pris par à la journée Ada Lovelace, une opération en
ligne organisée par mon amie Suw Charman-Anderson. Le but de cette
journée était de rendre plus visible des modèles féminins positifs
dans la domaine de la technologie, en en parlant sur nos blogs. Plus
de 1000 blogueurs ont participé. J'ai un peu conseillé Suw pour la
mise en place de cette journée et l'ai aidée à la promouvoir. Je suis
vraiment ravie du succès qu'elle a rencontré.

- site Finding Ada: <http://findingada.com/>
- mon article sur Marie Curie:
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/03/24/journee-ada-lovelace-marie-curie/>
- petit bilan une semaine plus tard, avec liens et remerciements à
ceux qui m'avaient choisie pour ALD09:
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/04/01/a-week-after-ada-lovelace-day-ald09/>

Backup Awareness Day
--------------------------------

Le 24 février, le soir avant la conférence Lift09, j'ai
accidentellement effacé la base de données entière de mon blog (au
lieu d'une table). Je ne savais pas de quand datait ma dernière
sauvegarde. Heureusement, j'avais fait un export de mon blog quatre
mois auparavant, et grâce à des services comme feedly et Backtype,
j'ai pu récupérer articles et commentaires manquants (je dois encore
les insérer dans le blog, par contre).
<http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2009/03/08/progress-in-restoring-ctts/>

Cette aventure m'a montré (encore une fois!) à quel point il est
important de faire régulièrement des copies de sauvegarde. On est
facilement peu consciencieux (moi la première) dans ce département.
J'ai décidé de décréter le 24 de chaque mois "Backup Awareness Day" --
une journée pour encourager les gens à faire leur backups, mettre en
place des systèmes automatisés, et aider leurs amis à le faire
également. Vous lirez bientôt une annonce à ce sujet sur CTTS.

Rester en contact
------------------------

Comme vous l'avez remarqué, je ne suis pas en train de vous inonder de
newsletters. Pour vous permettre de rester mieux informé sur mes
divers projets, voici quelques autres sources d'information auxquelles
je vous recommande de vous inscrire. La plupart sont assez tranquilles
(pour ne pas dire silencieuses), mais si vous êtes inscrit, cela veut
dire que vous serez informé dès qu'il se passe quoi que ce soit.

Coworking:

- groupe de discussion général pour la région lémanique:
<http://groups.google.com/group/coworking-leman/>
- groupe facebook Coworking Switzerland
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3499114357>, et Coworking Léman
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50136055054>
- newsletter des amis de l'eclau
<http://groups.google.com/group/eclau-amis>, groupe facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=38409350862>, et page
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eclau-Espace-Coworking-Lausanne/63213963589>
(si vous faites partie du groupe facebook, vous serez automatiquement
averti des apéros et autres p'tit déjs que nous organisons)
- l'eclau sur Twitter: <http://twitter.com/eclau>

Bloggy Friday:

- pour ne pas rater la prochaine rencontre, inscrivez-vous au groupe
Facebook! <http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2241029877>

Going Solo:

- groupe facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12748128087>
- newsletter: <http://going-solo.net/2008/04/30/going-solo-has-a-newsletter/>
- Twitter: <http://twitter.com/goingsolo>

Moi etc:

- vous pouvez vous abonner à <http://climbtothestars.org/> par RSS,
mais saviez-vous que vous pouviez également recevoir le contenu du
blog par e-mail?
<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=ctts>
- J'ai créé une page sur Facebook qui me permettra (je l'espoir) de
mieux gérer les nombreuses demande de connexion qui me parviennent sur
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Booth/59088978548>
- Bagha a maintenant son propre compte Twitter:
<http://twitter.com/bagha> -- prévenez vos félins préférés
- je suis particulièrement active ces temps sur Tumblr:
<http://steph.tumblr.com>

Avec un peu de chance, je n'attendrai pas six nouveaux mois avant de
vous donner des nouvelles!

Merci de votre fidélité

Stephanie

--