Bharathi in English

Pas Pasupathy

Feb 24, 2013, 5:45:25 PM2/24/13
to santhav...@googlegroups.com
Apart from the recent collection of letters to Hindu,

is there any book in print now ,which has all of his English writings?

(there used to be a book called " Bharathi in English"... is it still in print?)

Swaminathan Sankaran

Feb 24, 2013, 6:24:02 PM2/24/13
to santhav...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that this response addresses your question fully. However, I know of one book published in 1980. It is actually the second edition. The first edition was published in 1937 by Bharati Prachuralayam. Both editions were edited by Sri. C. Viswanatha Iyer, Bharati's brother. The second edition was published by A. Natarajan, 137 Jani Jan Khan Street, Madras-14. The Foreword to the first edition (reproduced in the second) was written by C.R. Reddy (a Gladstonian liberal and, I believe, the first Vice-Chancellor of Andhra University) and K.S. Venkataramani. Anyway, the title of this book by C. Subrahmanya Bharati is:

AGNI AND OTHER POEMS AND TRANSLATIONS & ESSAYS AND OTHER PROSE FRAGMENTS.

Among other things, it contains some of his translations of Naachchiyar Thirumozhi, a short piece titled, "The Crime of Caste," (October 6, 1916, "Commonweal"), an excerpt - CR's Comment on the same essay from "Commonweal" dated October 20, 1916 and a letter to the Editor of  the Hindu dated 18-10-1916 vigorously supporting national languages as media of instruction.

I regret that I don't know if this book is currently in publication or available.

Sankaran

2013/2/24 Pas Pasupathy <pas.pa...@gmail.com>

--
நீங்கள் "சந்தவசந்தம்" குழுமத்தின் உறுப்பினர் என்பதால், இம்மடலைப் பெறுகிறீர்கள்:
இக்குழுமத்தில் மின்மடல் முகவரி: santhav...@googlegroups.com

 Swaminathan Sankaran

Hari Krishnan

Feb 24, 2013, 9:32:50 PM2/24/13
to santhavasantham

2013/2/25 Pas Pasupathy <pas.pa...@gmail.com>
Apart from the recent collection of letters to Hindu,

is there any book in print now ,which has all of his English writings?

(there used to be a book called " Bharathi in English"... is it still in print?)

தற்போது எல்லா ஆங்கில எழுத்துகளும் (ஹிந்து முதலான பத்திரிகைகளுக்கு எழுதிய கடிதங்களும்கூட) சீனி. விசு.வின் காலவரிசைப்படுத்தப்பட்ட பாரதி படைப்புகளில் சேர்க்கப்பட்டு விட்டன.

--
அன்புடன்,
ஹரிகி.

நட்பும் சுற்றமும் நலமே என்பதை
மட்டும் கேட்க வாணி அருள்கவே.
God bless all of us.  May we hear from everyone in our life that they are good and prosperous.

Pas Pasupathy

Feb 25, 2013, 9:32:28 AM2/25/13
to santhav...@googlegroups.com
Thanks , Sankaran and Hari.

I will pass on the info.

It will be good if his English writings also get published in the Web.

2013/2/24 Hari Krishnan <hari.har...@gmail.com>

--
நீங்கள் "சந்தவசந்தம்" குழுமத்தின் உறுப்பினர் என்பதால், இம்மடலைப் பெறுகிறீர்கள்:
இக்குழுமத்தில் மின்மடல் முகவரி: santhav...@googlegroups.com
இக்குழுமத்திலிருந்து விலக வேண்டுமெனில்,
santhavasanth...@googlegroups.com.
இன்னும் மேல் விவரங்களுக்கு அணுகவும்:
http://groups.google.com/group/santhavasantham?hl=ta
---

Pas Pasupathy

Balasubramanian N.

Feb 25, 2013, 3:59:05 PM2/25/13
to santhav...@googlegroups.com

As Pasupati, Anant, Ilanthai, Hari Krishnan, VaVeSu and a number of others of our Group know, the one publication of the Mahakavi's English writings, is the book Agni And Other Poems ...etc. referred to by Swaminathan Sankaran. A copy of that book was got printed brought out by Mr.D.Sundaram IAS when he was Collector at Tuticorin [thooththuk KuDi] and kept for restricted unpriced circulation on being made aware of the copyright questions involved. Furthermore the Govt. of India brought out a book Selected Poems and Prose of Poet Subramania Bharati in celebration of his birth centenary - originally in English and then in Hindi, which has used some material from the former book. I remember presenting a copy to Pasupati in 1994. I have copies of all the three and have been constantly using them for my on-going regular meetings of Readings From Bharati. I cannaot resist sharing my experience during my readings of Bharati's essays - of seeing tears roll down the eyes of some of the audience - some writers and journalists of to-day --   and their voice getting tremulous, uttering, "Oh! Did HE write these things at that time! They sound so prophetic, so topically relevant right now! Could I have copy of the essay pl?"
nb

Pas Pasupathy

Feb 25, 2013, 6:25:22 PM2/25/13
to santhav...@googlegroups.com
>> Furthermore the Govt. of India brought out a book Selected Poems and Prose of Poet Subramania Bharati >>in celebration of his birth centenary - originally in English and then in Hindi, which has used some material >>from the former book. I remember presenting a copy to Pasupati in 1994

Thanks for reminding me. That book ( thru your kind donation) is now available to the public:

Pasupathy

N. Ganesan

Mar 1, 2013, 8:48:54 AM3/1/13
to சந்தவசந்தம், bharathisan...@gmail.com
On Feb 25, 7:02 am, Pas Pasupathy <pas.pasupa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI
> Some articles:
>
> http://www.mahakavibharathiyar.info/articles.htm

It will be good if all writings of Bharathi get into
this site.

We can all help in sending some funds to take care of
the typing costs in Tamil Nadu, if that is needed.
Mahakavi Bharathi's works in one place will be very
useful, esp. his prose & english writings.

N. Ganesan

> 2013/2/25 Pas Pasupathy <pas.pasupa...@gmail.com>

> > Thanks , Sankaran and Hari.
>
> > I will pass on the info.
>
> > It will be good if his English writings also get published in the Web.

Hari Krishnan

Mar 1, 2013, 8:46:54 PM3/1/13
to santhavasantham, Bharathi Sangam

2013/3/1 N. Ganesan <naa.g...@gmail.com>

We can all help in sending some funds to take care of
the typing costs in Tamil Nadu, if that is needed.
Mahakavi Bharathi's works in one place will be very
useful, esp. his prose & english writings.

நீங்கள் யாரை தஞ்சாவூர் மிராசுதார், பண்ணையார், ஜமீந்தார் என்றெல்லாம் இணையம் நெடுக பிரசாரம் செய்து வருகிறீர்களோ, அவர்தான் அந்த தளத்தை நடத்துகிறார்.

--
அன்புடன்,
ஹரிகி.

N. Ganesan

Mar 1, 2013, 9:53:12 PM3/1/13
to Santhavasantham
Sri. V. S. Ramalingam, Bharathi Sangam, Thanjavur has replied. Bharathi lovers
will be able to read all of his writings in the same web site.

Hope that gets accomplished in few years.
N. Ganesan