पिष्टपेषण and चर्वितचर्वण

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jan 18, 2012, 10:49:55 AM1/18/12
to samskrita
Dear Group,

I have been trying to pin down possible original uses of these two
words, popular in most modern Indian languages.

MW gives definitions of both these words and, by way of sources,
mentions ApGr for पिष्टपेषण and पाणिनि iii.1.15, सिद्धान्तकौमुदी for
चर्वितचर्वण. I take ApGr to mean आपस्तम्ब गृह्यसूत्र.

I have not studied any of these works. Would learned scholars check
on this and supply the relevant portions of the respective texts (in
Devanagari)?

Thanks...

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, January 18, 2012.

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 18, 2012, 11:25:44 AM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Group,

I have been trying to pin down possible original uses of these two
words, popular in most modern Indian languages.

MW gives definitions of both these words and, by way of sources,
mentions ApGr for पिष्टपेषण and पाणिनि iii.1.15, सिद्धान्तकौमुदी for
चर्वितचर्वण.

It does not contain the word चर्वितचर्वण, but only an explanation on a वार्तिक under the rule above mentioned:

image.png

It can be read in the image exact words. चर्वितस्याकृष्य पुनश्चर्वणे इत्यर्थः explaining term in Vartika along with the interpretation of the rule to explain the verb रोमन्थायते meaning the same चर्वितचर्वण.

 I take ApGr to mean आपस्तम्ब गृह्यसूत्र.

I do not have the आपस्तम्बगृह्यसूत्र but the word is found in the Haradatta's Commentary on the sUtra: पुंसुवनं व्यक्ते गर्भे तिष्येण  । । १४.९  । ।

केचित्-तृतीयवच्चतुर्थेऽपि सीमन्तात्पूर्व निमित्तस्य पूर्वत्वादिति  ।
इदमपि सीमन्तवत्प्रथमगर्भ एव, न तु प्रतिगर्भम्; पिष्टपेषणन्यायादेव।

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

image.png