Re: [sage-release] Sage 4.4.4 numerical noise on 32-bit cicero

Message has been deleted

leif

Jun 26, 2010, 6:28:12 AM6/26/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Minh Nguyen schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>
> Doctesting Sage 4.4.4 on cicero.skynet, a 32-bit Pentium 4 machine, I
> got the following numerical noise:
>
> sage -t -long "devel/sage/sage/libs/mwrank/mwrank.pyx"
> File "/tmp/mvngu/sage-4.4.4-9338-pycrypto/devel/sage/sage/libs/mwrank/mwrank.pyx",
> line 340:
> sage: E.silverman_bound()
> Expected:
> 6.5222617951910102
> Got:
> 6.5222617951910111
> File "/tmp/mvngu/sage-4.4.4-9338-pycrypto/devel/sage/sage/libs/mwrank/mwrank.pyx",
> line 372:
> sage: E.silverman_bound()
> Expected:
> 6.5222617951910102
> Got:
> 6.5222617951910111

On a Pentium 4 (Prescott), Ubuntu 9.04, gcc 4.3.3*, all doctests passed
(ptestlong).

-Leif

____
* with CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS="-march=native -fno-strict-aliasing",
CPPFLAGS="-march=native"

John Cremona

Jun 26, 2010, 11:30:36 AM6/26/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
This number comes from an eclib function which returns a C double,
which becomes a Python float. Now eclib has not changed since
previous release. Has Python?

This bound is something which is in no way tight, so it would be
absolutely fine to do the usual thing with numerical fuzz, namely
replace the last digits with ... . But it would still be nice to work
out why it has changed at all.

John

William Stein

Jun 28, 2010, 1:49:47 PM6/28/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Patch up at

Please review.

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Dr. David Kirkby

Jun 28, 2010, 2:15:43 PM6/28/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On 06/26/10 04:30 PM, John Cremona wrote:
> This number comes from an eclib function which returns a C double,
> which becomes a Python float. Now eclib has not changed since
> previous release. Has Python?

I did update the python .spkg for sage-4.5.rc0, but I very much doubt the change
had anything to do with numerical results you see. It was related to making sure
the _socket module built on Solaris.

John Cremona

Jun 28, 2010, 2:21:56 PM6/28/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
The patch has a positive review now.

John

William Stein

Jun 28, 2010, 2:23:46 PM6/28/10
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:21 AM, John Cremona <john.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The patch has a positive review now.
>
> John

Thanks. Here's a new bugfix release of sage that has just this patch
in it (plus fixing that Makefile issue):

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/build/release/4.4.4.1/sage-4.4.4.1.tar

I'm not going to build binaries of this.