[Chennai Trekking Club] Invitation: TADAGALA - September 19-21[3 day-difficult trek]

tell...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2009, 1:38:02 PM9/1/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHNMWi1oa3RRWmIzZ3Yxb3gzamNOZ3c6MA..

[Chennai Trekking Club] Invitation: TADAGALA - September 19-21[3 day-difficult trek]

Two beautiful,exotic mountain ranges in mind, a three day weekend ,wish I were there in both the places. Is it possible?
Yes, of course !!! We'll make it possible. Two  weekends later, we'll enter the beautiful Tada mountain range and after an ultra cool trek, exit through Nagala, CTC's favourite destination.

Very few people know this fact, Nagala and Tada are the opposite ends of the same mountain range. Here is a chance to to test your mettle by crossing the whole range, enjoy the amazing views from tada falls,trekking through the jungles, reach the highest point of Nagala and finally cool off all the heat in our ever favourite pools of Nagala.

"TADAGALA" in tamil means 'field event'. Justifying this title, we will have to run, sprint, swim and cross a lot of hurdles. This is something very special, and special things are always tough to get.
This is going to be a very, very tough trek. Be prepared for the roller coaster of a trek. You can call yourself an elite trekker if you complete this trek without any complaints.

tsssk.... tssssk.... There is a rumor that this trek has a hidden surprise.

IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME TO READ THE MAIL CAREFULLY, BUT IT CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE. DON'T MISS OUT ANYTHING ESPECIALLY WHAT TO CARRY.

OBJECTIVE: Trek 40+ km deep inside Nagala Reserved Forests, through beautiful crystal-clear pools, jumping over boulders, finally cooling off under a huge waterfall.

VISUAL CLUES(Check them out, these are from the only previous trek in this route. http://www.chennaitrekkers.org/2009/02/nagala-10-race-between-body-and-mind.html)

http://picasaweb.google.com/vikramse/SurvivorSeriesNagalaToTada#
http://picasaweb.google.com/gurumoorthig/Nagala1002?authkey=BJwzEoq_2Rs#

SUMMARY
When: Starting on 18 Sep (Friday) evening, Return by 21 Sep (Monday) late night or  22 Sep (Tuesday) early morning.
Where: Nagalapuram National Reserved Forest range.
Terrain: Boulders and rocks, long walks, climbs, crossing pools, swimming.
Each member has to carry at least 3 liters of water.(Please bring reusable bottles)
Difficulty: Difficult+.
Distance: 40+ km trek.
Expense: Around Rs.1300 (transportation, food, etc).

LIMITS:
Number of participants: Ideal trek for a group of 30 people.
Age:  No age bar as long as ur heart is still in it's teens !
Fun Quotient: Only those with high or above average fun quotient should register. Boring people should avoid this trek, else they will be bored to death!

AGENDA:

Day 0: Start on 19th Sep late evening from Chennai/Bangalore and reach Varadhapalayam by late night  and sleep (for Chennai) or early morning (for Bangalore).

Day 1: Start early morning, take share autos to reach trek starting point, breakfast on the way.
Start trek by 7 a.m.
Reach the local peak at tada by late evening through lovely valleys, crossing the pools, jumping over rocks and camp there.
Campfire and fun (of course dinner).

Day 2: Start early next morning.
Finish breakfast and start trek across breath taking viewpoint and frequent pools.
Reach the streamline below the 800 m peak and camp there.
Have fun ,take rest in order the fun blast ton day 3. Guy's we'll be back in Nagala.(Be ready for a night trek on the second day.Dont forget ur flashlights).

Day3:

Enjoy as much of Nagala as possible and exit by late evening.

MUST CARRY LUGGAGE:
1. Good walking shoes + pair of sandals to roam around in the camp site and in the pools.
2. Small/medium back-pack to carry water, food, camping gear.
3. Sleeping bag/blanket and sleeping mat (sleeping mat is must for non-swimmers).
4. LED torch to get around at night.
5. One extra set of clothes to sleep dry in the campsite.
6. A pain relief spray.
7. Tiffin box, glass, fork/spoon for soup/tea/dinner.
8. THREE reusable bottles with water filled (do not use bottled mineral water, they do a lot of pollution).
9. Plastic covers to protect your stuff (especially cloth and sleeping bag) from rain.
10. Personal medications.
11. Cash Rs 1200 + Rs 1000 for emergency.
12. Your self.

DID I SAY MUST CARRY LUGGAGE? READ THEM CAREFULLY.

Some more details about things to carry:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/sachennaitrekkingclub/web/what-to-carry-during-a-trek

VERY IMPORTANT: You might feel that many things r important, but this is a 3 day trek and you will have to carry the food for the 3 days which will make the default weight of your bag more. So pack even lesser than you packed for a previous 2 day trek.

Food  will be taken care of by the organizers.

THINGS NOT TO DO/NOT TO CARRY:
1. Litter: Plastics, bottles, food packing, etc should not be thrown.
2. Water in mountain streams should not be polluted using shampoo or soaps.
3. Dont Carry your EGO along.
4. Avoid carrying soap, shampoo, face wash, other cosmetics.

Some more details on Do-s and don't-s during a trek:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/sachennaitrekkingclub/web/do-s-and-dont-s-during-a-trek?hl=en-GB&pli=1

SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS: Selection of participants will be based on their time of registration (first come-first serve), their association with CTC, their capabilities (e.g., strength to save people in case of emergency), and their fun quotient to get judicious mix of new and old people in a strong team capable of defeating the

DROPOUT POLICY: The logistics for the trek are planned and all arrangements are made beforehand. Last minute dropouts create a lot of confusion in the plan. Kindly inform the organizers in prior if you drop out.

If someone drops out during the last 2 days (17th and 18th Sept), s/he would be requested to share the cost of trek including food/transport, etc., as the team would have brought/arranged all the stuff and it would be difficult to get a replacement for that person.

WHOM TO CONTACT:
If you have any trek related queries, please mail to organizers alone UNDER THE SAME THREAD/SUBJECT LINE. Don't spam to the entire group.

Sujai                    : tell...@gmail.com           9894598982
Ravi S Ghosh    : ravis...@gmail.com      9243131588[Bangalore]
Paari G               : paa...@gmail.com              9444455390

DID I FORGET SOMETHING? REMIND ME PLEASE.

sujai karhik

Sep 3, 2009, 2:06:29 PM9/3/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
Whoa..... Thats a whopping response !!!(20 and counting on the first day)... Keep it going guys......

BTW: When I said "difficult", I really meant it. Lets show mother nature how a good team can defeat any odds!!!

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GET GOING !!!

sujai karhik

Sep 4, 2009, 9:40:44 AM9/4/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
The list continues to grow. This is a very very good sign. So many people are ready to take up the challenge.

There is a common observation, more than half of the people who have registered are new to CTC(We welcome you) or have done easy, moderate treks with CTC(Keep it going). As this is a trek which demands high physical and mental toughness, we have decided to conduct a screening(On the mornings of Sat, Sunday[12,13 Sep] next week).

So you can assume that the trek starts on 12th itself ....  TPlease do make yourself available on one of the two days. I will send the list fo people registered sometime next week.

Why the screening?

(i) By default, this is a tough trek.
(ii) The entry point and exit point are different. So we have to be on time to catch the vehicles which will be waiting for us .       [The previous trek to this place was a 4 day one!!! ]
(iii) A CHAIN IS AS STRONG AS THE WEAKEST LINK !!! . Even one trekker who is slower than the rest of the group would delay the whole group.

Hope you guys understand the necessity for this screening.

BTW:
There were some queries as to when the registration for the trek will close. Here is the answer. The registration closes next friday[11th September] so that proper screening can be done.

Signing off,

SUJAI

sujai karhik

Sep 4, 2009, 2:24:22 PM9/4/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com

For the people who have registered so far.
We have decided to conduct a screening this Sunday @ Besant Nagar beach(8 am Sharp). Those who are free are welcome. Assemble in front of the place where the parking starts(Opposite to PlanetM)

If you wish to participate, message me(9894598982) or Gowri Shankar(9941017468).

Just in case you will not be able to clear it this week, you can give it a try next week too.
For the Bangalore guys, I will let you know about the screening details.

People who wish to register can attend the screening now and register before next Friday. Message/call me before you come.

      Regs,

SUJAI

sujai karhik

Sep 6, 2009, 1:36:16 AM9/6/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
The first day of screening went on well with 3 out of 4 people getting through.

Owing to the good response(44), we will be closing the registrations on Tuesday itself. Due to transportation and safety reasons, we can take a group of 30 only. Further screening would be done with this factor in mind. Those who want to attend the screening on a working day, pls let me know.

Regs,

SUJAI

sujai karhik

Sep 11, 2009, 12:37:53 AM9/11/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
Well, well , well.... Time is flying. Just one more week left for the start  of the roller coaster trek !!!

Today is the last day of registrations, so those who want to register rush in !!! Those who have registered and not attended the screening make sure you attend it tomorrow or day after.

Bangloreans, pls contact Ravi regarding your screening.

Will send an update regarding our plan toninght.

sujai karhik

Sep 13, 2009, 6:27:44 AM9/13/09
to The Chennai Trekking Club

Here is the list of confirmed participants :-

Vijay R
Kim Smet
Ravinderjeet Dhillon
Ramesh
Sekhar Jajimoggala
S Vinoth Kumar
Tarakarama Aditya Kambampati
Arpitha Shankar
Rola
Vinod Hari
Karmuhilan C
Ajay Mani Raj
Sridhar
Ananth
Rajesh A S
mohankumar sekhar
Bindal
Dipankar Murao
N. Saravanan
Sujai
Naveen S
Muthukumaran M.
Cherry G. Mathew
SATYAJIT
Omjee
Anubhav Bhatt
Lokhu
Balaji hariharan

To be screened on tuesday morning 6 am @ Besant nagar beach -

Y Chandra Babu
Rajasekar SRS
Rahul Prabhakar
Sriram Raghavan
Alex Jose
Chaya
Mohankumar V
Rajahram

The countdown starts....... 6 days to go .....
A sneak peak into the trail we will be following !!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33105&id=1312929832&page=2#/album.php?page=1&aid=33105&id=1312929832

Ananth

Sep 16, 2009, 5:33:19 AM9/16/09
to sujai karhik, The Chennai Trekking Club
An update on behalf of Sujai. The final list of participants:

Vijay R
Kim Smet
Ravinderjeet Dhillon
Sekhar Jajimoggala
Lokhu

S Vinoth Kumar
Tarakarama Aditya Kambampati
Anubhav Bhatt
Arpitha Shankar
Rola
Ajay Mani Raj
Sridhar
Naveen S
Balaji hariharan

Cherry G. Mathew
SATYAJIT
Omjee
Ananth
Rajesh A S
mohankumar sekhar
Bindal
Dipankar Murao
N. Saravanan
Sujai
Gowri Shankar
Mohankumar V
Alfonso Cardenas
Y Chandra Babu
Biju VK
Rajahram
Shri

As the transport details have been freezed, people who drop out from now on will have to bear the cost incurred for Transport.

Any dropouts from tomorrow morning 10 am will have to bear the whole cost including food, transport, etc.

We will start the journey at 10.30 pm (Friday) from Tidel park.
Pickup people at Guindy, CMBT and proceed towards Tada.

2 days to action....

sujai karhik

Sep 16, 2009, 3:09:26 PM9/16/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
The transport has been confirmed. Due to lack of registration of cars, different entry and exit points and concerns regarding safety of vehicles, we decided to arrange hired transport.
We will be leaving in 3 tempo travellers. So the  bikers can leave their vehicles at home or the parking lots[Thiruvanmiyur station/CMBT]. The vans will leave tidel at 10.30 pm on Friday night.So plan accordingly.

I would like to remind you to pack lightly. And  please, please , please dont forget your torch lights.
One more correction, please bring four bottles to fill up water.

The countdown is ticking....

2 days to go !!!

Cheers,

SUJAI

sujai karhik

Sep 17, 2009, 10:58:45 PM9/17/09
to sachennait...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Here is the final update from my side.

Transport:

2 tempos, 1 qualis leave tidel park at 10.30 pm.
Guindy(in front of HP petrol bunk near the railway station) at 10.45. CMBT(in front of Nathan's cafe.) at  11.15.

Water :

Please bring 4 water bottles(3 filled)

Reminder :
1- There is a high probability that it might rain, so ensure that you bring plastic covers to safeguard your mobile, wallet n other stuff.
2- All of you should bring a garbage bag with you. We are on a 3 day trek. So u can expect lot of garbage to be collected.
3 - Dont forget your torch lights. Your tooth brushes too. ;-)
4 - Travel light.

Suggestion :

1- In order to beat the heat and not get dehydrated, u can wear a full arm t-shirt for the second day.
2- Please dont wear the bulky woodlands shoes for this trek.

Will let u know in case anything important turns up.

Signing off,

SUJAI

14 hours to action !!!!

sujai karhik

[...]