What is CTC and Who is not welcome here

Peter Van Geit

Sep 30, 2010, 6:41:30 AM9/30/10
to The Chennai Trekking Club
What is CTC?

CTC is a non-profit group of trekking enthusiasts which runs solely based on the efforts of volunteers who selflessly spent a significant amount of their personal time on organizing and executing treks in which anyone is welcome to participate, most participants being strangers to the organizers. Our volunteering organizers are doing this in between their full-time regular jobs planning trails, buying food, arranging transportation, managing pick up of the participants, arranging camping/cooking/navigation gear, confirming attendance, ensuring guidance and safety of the participants during the trek, setting up campsite and supporting anyone in need. They spent considerable amount of their own money into advance buying of food and renting transportation required for the trek.

Why do they do all of this for a bunch of strangers which they don't even know? I will let you think about that yourself..... I would just call it passion.

What do we expect from our members?

Anyone is welcome to join CTC - there is no restrictions to join this group, there are no restrictions to participate in any trek (except for headcount, fitness level restrictions). We do however expect a couple of basic things from our members, especially when participating in our treks. I think we can label it under one simple word - "right attitude" - this includes a number of basic items - respect for the organizers and other participants, active contribution or volunteering to the many tasks involved in organization and during the actual trek, informing organizers in case you are dropping out, supporting other participants who need help and more. CTC is not like the many commercial trek operators out there where professional organizers are paid and take care of everything and participants expect to be served as paying guests. CTC is a volunteer based amateur group where everyone comes together on a peer to peer level and all are participate/contribute equally in an open and non-profit environment.

Who is not welcome anymore in CTC?

Recently, several of our volunteering organizers suffered significant financial loss during the Nagala Western Combo trek - 270 members had signed up and confirmed their participation. Based on this number our volunteers did the advance buying of respective food quantity. Out of these registrations around 100 individuals dropped out overnight without even bothering to inform the organizers thereby leaving our volunteers with excess food and the need to arrange last-minute more expensive rented transportation (due to many car drop outs). Even after I informed these members about our situation and requested them to at least pay for their food many even did not bother to respond.

This basic lack of respect and human decency towards our volunteers is not acceptable - therefore I have created a centralized blacklist shared with all organizers of people including name, email, phone who will not be allowed to join any future trek in CTC. This list will be strictly enforced and periodically updated with people lacking basic human respect in other treks.

Just wanted to set a clear example here to all our members so this is not repeated in the future.

Blacklisted members
(if your name is listed here and should not be contact me directly)

adhav
Akshay Nair
Anand Kale
Anand Singh
Anshul Chaurasia
Anurag Jain
Arun
Arun Jonathan
Arunkumar V
Avinesh Vasudevan
B.L.Venkatesh
Balaji N
Bharathi
BIJO THOMAS
Chandrashekar CH
deva
gaja
Goutham S
Gubendran.J
Harish N
J.ARAVIND KUMAR
J.Mahendran
Jim Varghese
karthik
karthik era
krishnam
KRISHNAN
Kumud Nishad
Lakshmi
Madhan
Madheswaran.v
Mahadevan K
Mahesh
Mohan Raj
Muthukumar S
N Vasanth
natarajan
Naveen
Neeraj Agrawal
Nupur Gupta
Parthiban
Pathiban
Prakash Kumar
Prasanna
Prasanth TK
Prateek Sharma
Priya
radhaa +1
Rahul Kumar Rai
rajasekaran
rajendran
rajeshkanna
Ramanuj
Ramesh
Ranjithkumar
Ravi Ganapathy
Ravikumar
Rengarajan G
Rooban
Roshinth s s
S Vinodh Kumar
Sampath Kumar
saranya
Sathish J
Satish CR
Satish kumar
Senthil Sugumaran
Shweta Chauhan
Sivakumar PS
Sivaraj S
sridhar raparthi
Sriram Raghavan
SUBHASHREE VARADHAN
Subhasis Samanta
Supriya Mattoo
Suresh Kanna
Susi
T.Tamil Selvan
tharanibabu
V S Leelakrishnan
Vani Maradi
veena r
veerasamy
VENKATESH B L
Vignesh
Vijayaraghavan
Vikas V
Vikram Gokhale
vimal
Vinod Kumar
Vishnu S Menon
Vivek V

--
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails

Ravi S Ghosh

Sep 30, 2010, 6:44:09 AM9/30/10
to Peter Van Geit, The Chennai Trekking Club

I really loved this decision.

Regards

Ravi S Ghosh
www.ravisghosh.com

Ansar

Sep 30, 2010, 8:07:18 AM9/30/10
to Ravi S Ghosh, Peter Van Geit, The Chennai Trekking Club
A long overdue mail peter!
Maybe we can configure this mail as part of the 'confirmation auto-reply' mail whenever a new member registers with our group.

BIGG THANKS from one among the many passionate CTC organiser's,

Ansar

Avijeet Rakshit

Sep 30, 2010, 7:02:08 AM9/30/10
to Ravi S Ghosh, Peter Van Geit, The Chennai Trekking Club
Right way to go.....

Rgds

Avijeet
CTC - Blood Donors Registry
--
Avijeet
CTC - Blood Donors Registry

sathyanarayan lakshminarasimhan

Sep 30, 2010, 9:48:47 AM9/30/10
to Peter Van Geit, The Chennai Trekking Club
Dear Peter

I have been part of the CTC for more than a year now and have just attended one Trek and one Snake session at your place.

I understand the sentiment with which the mail has been coined. Despite not having applied for the trek, I offer my services and any financial compensation suffered by others with a view to mitigating their loss

I am with Peter in this issue  and implore to  the rest of the CTC community to be transparent in their communication regarding the participation.  It takes quite some effort to organize and execute a trek. Please cooperate. It's after all your trek.

Sathyanarayan L

Save the Gharial