Social Trek/24 - Dec 26 - Prema Vasam - post trek update

Zeba Ahmad

Dec 27, 2010, 9:42:45 PM12/27/10
to The Chennai Trekking Club, Peter Van Geit, S Thilak Raj, Balaji - Happy New Year..., geof...@gmail.com
Sunday was another beautiful day with 30 energetic kids from Prema Vasam and 60 volunteers from CTC

Starting early morning at 4.30am, the big group collected at Koyambedu/Porur, picked up the kids and made way to our beloved Nagala. As the Western Entry had too much water, the trek was diverted to Nagala Eastern entry.

                             ...Sumptuous idlis for breakfast                ...                      and then the hills beckoned ...

Playing around in the water with the kids ( along the stream on the way, and in the 1st and 2nd pools )

And we made a difference to the little kutti paapa's too ... It was a Merry Christmas indeed, with Santa's bag full and heavily loaded with gifts!!!!

Thanks a bunch to our wonderful CTC-ians Peter, Thilak, Balaji Sekar, Balaji NJ, Paari, Hari, Ansar, Guru, Maruthi, and others without whose help this day would have truly been impossible!!

Many thanks to a whole lot of people for their contributions..!

Asha for sending toys(dolls/airplanes/musical toys) each of the kids..
Thara for sending home made chocolates..
Veena for chocolate+toy gifts..
Geetha for sending milk biki's and juice for all..
Guru for getting stationeries for all the kids
Various volunteers(sorry, forget the names) who got biscuits, Sketch pens, color pens and loads of chocolates as surprise gifts for the kids!

In addition, a small surplus amount from the volunteer contributions will be donated to the home for anything else the kids require.

We made their day indeed ...

Volunteers, please share all feedback and pics in here:
http://chennai-trekking-club.32436.n3.nabble.com/Social-Trek-24-Dec-26-Prema-Vasam-td2150342.html

-- Organizing team

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Peter Van Geit <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:
60+ volunteers signed up for our upcoming social trek on Sunday. We are hereby closing further registrations. One request tough - we are currently having insufficient cars to transport all volunteers and kids - calling out to anyone of our members who can still join and bring along a car?

C Shanmuganathan
ehabmhmoud
VS Arun
Veena R
Naresh puri
Bala Pavani
Ronak Kankaria
P Geetha +1
balamanikandan
Sai Praveen
G.Ganeshkumar
K.Gowrishankar
V.Pradeep
Maruthi Raj M
Jessy
Raja A
AK Dhanasekaran
M.Sivasakthi
Zeba Ahmad
S Chandrasekhar
Balaji N
Sudhakar A
Murali R
Samim S
Lavanya Balasubramani
Vinod kumar G
Anitha Kothandapani
Dinesh P
Oli Arul
raj jacob
Rakesh Chandrasekaran
s.arun prakash
visshnu
Sathya Narayanan R
latha
Sucharita
Shumon
latha
Jayashree + 2
Stephen
Lakshmi N
Narendran
D Baskaran + 2
Thameemul Ansari
Kaja thameem
v ganesh ramkumar
R SARANGARAJAN
Rajavel
Avinash Kumaar
Saravana Kumar
Agila Shekar
Ajay Karthik
Shyju Krishnan
Priyanka.N
S Subash
Reena
S.SENTHILVEL + 2
senthil+2kids
Manasi Sridhar

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Peter Van Geit <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:
Already 30  volunteers signed up for our 24th social trek. It will be a Christmas special trek - Requesting all volunteers to bring along some small gifts for the kids. Santa Claus will make a special appearance during the trek and distributing gifts to all the children. We got space for more. Sign up here

C Shanmuganathan
ehabmhmoud
VS Arun
Veena R
Naresh puri
Bala Pavani
Ronak Kankaria
P Geetha +1
balamanikandan
Sai Praveen
G.Ganeshkumar
K.Gowrishankar
V.Pradeep
Maruthi Raj M
Jessy
Raja A
AK Dhanasekaran
M.Sivasakthi
Zeba Ahmad
S Chandrasekhar
Balaji N
Sudhakar A
Murali R
Samim S
Lavanya Balasubramani
Vinod kumar G
Anitha Kothandapani
Dinesh P
Oli Arul
raj jacob

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Peter Van Geit <peter....@gmail.com> wrote:

Social Trek/24 - Dec 26 - Prema Vasam

As a part of 'Trek with a cause' initiatives of CTC, we are organizing a kids' trek on Sunday, Dec 26, 2010. The objective of this 1day trek is to take out 30 kids from Prema Vasam, Porur to Nagalapuram and provide them a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Agenda Participants will spend an entire day with the kids in the beautiful surroundings of Nagalapuram. Participation fees are Rs.500/- which includes sharing the cost of transportation and food for both participants and kids. Only those who are interested to spend time with the kids should sign up.

Participants will assemble on Sunday early morning at the usual pick up points in Chennai, in parallel we will pick up the kids from the orphanage in Tambaram and proceed together to Nagalapuram, 2 hours North of Chennai. We will walk with and guide the kids along a crystal clear water stream in beautiful natural surroundings. Participants will play with kids in the beautiful pools and waterfalls. We will have breakfast and lunch along the way and return to Chennai by evening around 8pm. Focus should be on interaction with and safety of the children.

More info, photos, experiences from our members on past social treks in our forum.

 Link to photos from a previous social treks -

 Agenda:

 4:15am - assemble at Porur (orphanage)
 4:30am - assemble at TIDEL park (bus stop)
 4:40am - assemble at Madhya Kailash (bus stop)
 4:50am - assemble at Guindy Kathypara (Toyota showroom)
 5:10am - assemble at Koyambedu (Nathans Cafe)
 8am - arrival at the dam in Nagalapuram (Western side) 3km trek along scenic stream
 11am-3pm - enjoy playing with the kids near a beautiful water falls + have lunch
 4pm - return back to the dam/cars
 8-9pm - return to Chennai and drop the kids back home

 What to bring?

 Comfortable pair of walking shoes
 Small backpack to carry personal items, water and food
 1 bottle of water (filled)
 Spare set of clothes (to change after splashing in water)
 Sun cap, sunscreen
 Camera
 Any small gifts, chocolates, sweets, fruits, ... for the kids

 Expense Rs.500/- (covers participants + kids food/transport)

Food will be provided by the organizers

 Organizers/contact

 Zeba - cool...@gmail.com (9940107386)
 Thilak - the_l...@yahoo.com (9840873859)

--
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails