[Chennai Trekking Club] CTC's Beach Busters/1- Pallavakam, May 23, 5-8am

Peter Van Geit

May 16, 2010, 11:45:57 PM5/16/10
to The Chennai Trekking Club
Plan is to dedicate one Sunday morning to each of our 15 beach zones, clean it up completely, install "Do Not Pollute" hoardings, put up garbage bins, talk to the local kuppam and spread awareness amongst beach visitors. We are looking for sponsors for the bins and hoardings. Please forward to your friends and colleagues and bring along your family. A group of 50-100 is sufficient to do the job.

http://spreadsheets0.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEdOdXJvcHpvWkMzV1NWaHRsUHp6OGc6MA

CTC's Beach Busters/1- Pallavakam, May 23, 5-8am

Goal - a group of volunteers who enjoys a fresh morning breeze along the beach and the company of a few like minded friends, joining up together and spending a few hours cleaning up one beach along Chennai's coastal line on a Sunday morning.

This weeks' location - Pallavakam (University Grounds), proceed along ECR for 2km after Tirunvanmyur till you see Indian Oil/Bharat Petrol bunks on your left side, 100m after take left under a big arch and proceed straight to the beach. Map -
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=12.972191,80.26238&spn=0.02321,0.027595&z=15&msid=100795895206195398252.000486ba43880ba997d65

Timing - volunteers can drop in anytime between 5:00-8am (earlier is better). Volunteers can leave at any time they like. We would probably wrap up latest by 9:00am when the sun gets high

DSC_0091 15-16-22-630.JPG

Agenda -

Assemble around 5-8am (earlier is better)
Pick up a few garbage bags
Walk along the beach with some friends filling up a few bags
Put up some awareness banners, (later on) dust-bins
Spread awareness to the beach visitors and local kuppam village
Interact with the nearby villagers and explore their views
When feeling done, join with a couple of friends for breakfast and disperse home
Feel good inside because of the fresh morning air, making some new like minded friends and having contributed to making this world a cleaner place to live in

DSC_0116.JPG

To carry -

Comfortable clothes, shoes
2 liters of water (MUST)
Garbage bags and gloves will be distributed

Transportation -

Everyone can come directly to the beach by his/her own means. If more volunteers join from one area we would give the option to sync up and share transport

P5160072.JPG

Let's make a difference,
Peter.

--
Peter Van Geit
Dare to create your own path rather than follow existing trails

DSC_0116.JPG
P5160072.JPG
DSC_0091 15-16-22-630.JPG

Peter Van Geit

May 17, 2010, 9:48:44 AM5/17/10
to The Chennai Trekking Club
15 volunteers have signed up on the first day. We need around 50 to clean up this particular stretch of beach which is quite wide. Someone came forward to sponsor the "Do Not Pollute" hoardings.

We just need a volunteer who can come up with a nice poster design for the hoardings and bins which we are planning to put along the entire coastline - something self-explanatory for the beach visitors - e.g. a graphic showing someone dropping garbage in a dustbin rather then on the beach with English and Tamil "Do not pollute" subtitles + a CTC and sponsor logo. Anyone?

S Thilak Raj
CHANDRU
Sridhar.H
Rajesh.K
Ravikeerthi.H.C
Ambarish
Sowmiya Nachi
S Ramkumar
v usha rani
Shilpa Narayan
Hema
Manoj Lakshmanan
D.Jogeswara Rao

Peter.
DSC_0116.JPG
P5160072.JPG
DSC_0091 15-16-22-630.JPG

Peter Van Geit

May 18, 2010, 8:20:08 AM5/18/10
to The Chennai Trekking Club
35 volunteers are all ready to transfer Pallavakam beach to its original beauty and put up garbage bins and awareness posters to educate the beach visitors. A few have volunteered to design posters. Come on ... where is the rest?

S Thilak Raj
CHANDRU
Sridhar.H
Rajesh.K
Ravikeerthi.H.C
Ambarish
Sowmiya Nachi
S Ramkumar
v usha rani
Shilpa Narayan
Hema
Manoj Lakshmanan
D.Jogeswara Rao
Ramesh B
suresh chander
Swathi
Feroz Ahmed
VITTAL RAO .T.P
Sugapradha
ajay kandappa
S Ramesh
Gurumurthy
Zeba Ahmad
Swarna Sarasati
Shankar Ram
Teena D'Rozario
Priyanka Kumar
k.Sharath Mayuran
Vijay(VP)
Thiruvarulselvan
aditi suresh
kunal patel
Hari Rao
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0091 15-16-22-630.JPG
P5160072.JPG

Peter Van Geit

May 19, 2010, 7:30:22 AM5/19/10
to The Chennai Trekking Club
50 volunteers signed up for our beach cleanup and awareness campaign this Sunday. This could be start of an initiative which can possibly transform the face of Chennai forever. Any future beach visitor will be confronted by a clean beach, clear awareness boards, garbage bins and the commitment of the authorities to regularly dispose the garbage. If we succeed to transform one single beach, conquering the other beaches will be easy. And if someone could make a difference it would be CTC which can overcome any challenge.

Can anyone suggest any good type/material of garbage bin which we could install? It should be sturdy enough to survive typical vandalism and easy to empty by the authorities.

A few volunteers (Anand, Zeba...) designed some initial drafts of "Do Not Pollute" posters -
http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.vangeit2/DoNotPollute#

Requesting more volunteers to try their hand at designing some nice posters which clearly visualize our goal - to keep the garbage in the bin and the beaches clean. We can put up different posters at different locations to capture the attention of the beach visitors. Some ideas suggested by Zeba which could be visualized in a nice poster by creative hands -

-- <pic of a nice beach>
    Don't you want your children to inherit this too?

--<pic1 : Dirty beach / pic2: clean beach area>
   A dumpyard or a shining beach?
  The choice is ours.

-- <pic : man dropping garbage & child stopping him>
   Cleanliness is a habit.
   If you find someone littering, STOP them!

-- Everything has its place
   <pic1: Fish in the sea / pic2: crab on shore>
  ... including garbage ...
   <pic3 : Dropping garbage in a Use Me can>

-- <pic: trash can with garbage all around it>
    The garbage goes IN, not OUT

Participants

gangadharan
Sankar