I'm taking over fvwm development

Brady Montz

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

Well, it's officially decided that I will be taking over the fvwm
development. I'd like to thank Chuck for his years of service and stellar
attitude.

He's handed off the development tree to me. I have to take my PhD prelims May
28, and I have to to a code walkthrough, before I'll be able to do any real
work on the code. I will probably release the current code as 2.0.47 with the
minimum number of changes and set up a public CVS repository. I hope to have
that done in the first week of June. I'd like to ask everybody who has any
patches > 10 lines to wait until then.

Since this endless march of "beta" versions appears to be confusing to various
distributors and sysadmins, causing them to keep their users at fvwm 1.24, I
plan to split fvwm development into a stable 2.2 version (released ASAP after
freezing feature additions when 2.0.47 is released) and development version
2.3. Note that I am skipping 2.1 altogether to get fvwm in sync with the
linux/xemacs convention of odd minor versions for development versions and
even for release versions.

Version 2.3 will be for incremental improvements to fvwm, targeted towards a
stable release in 6-12 months. Since I think fvwm might need some ground-up
redesign to support things like loadable modules, potential embedded
languages, etc, I will probably start a 2.9 source tree for the truly
speculative and adventurous changes. I think that loadable modules alone would
warrant a major number increase to 3.0. 2.9 will have to wait until 2.0, 2.2,
and 2.3 are running smoothly however, so this might occur towards the end of
the summer.

--
Brady Montz
bra...@cs.arizona.edu