rvm requirements changed function?

John T

Feb 25, 2013, 10:27:27 PM2/25/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
I just updated rvm to the latest (via rvm get head), on OS X 10.7. That all went fine. I then tried to do a 'rvm requirements' to see any notes, and it went and installed a whole pile of stuff:

Installing requirements for osx/10.7/i386, might require sudo password
Installing homebrew
Installing required packages: git.  (which I had installed)

Installing required packages: autoconf, automake, libtool, pkg-config, apple-gcc42, libyaml, readline, libxml2, libxslt, libksba, openssl, sqlite.

Since when does rvm requirements install software?? I thought it just displayed the platform notes?

mpapis

Feb 26, 2013, 12:53:04 AM2/26/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
rvm installs software since 1.18 where it was running "rvm requiremements run force" for first ruby, in 1.19 it changes to be default for all rubies installed but has improved detection what is installed already

Andrew Premdas

Feb 26, 2013, 5:51:00 AM2/26/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
This is a pretty surprising change in behaviour.

1. Do you think rvm should ask by default before it does this sort of thing
2. Should a separate command be used to do this
3. Installing homebrew is quite a big deal, especially if someone has alot of stuff in /usr/local. Should rvm be making this sort of decision for a user.

All best

Andrew

Please visit http://rvm.io/ for documentation on rvm.
Please visit https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/26822 to see what is being worked on currently.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyversionmanager?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RVM (Ruby Version Manager)" group.

------------------------
Andrew Premdas

John T

Feb 26, 2013, 8:53:05 AM2/26/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
Pretty much what I thought. A simple question, or something to let me know it was going to spend the next 20+ minutes downloading and installing all sorts of stuff would have been nice.

Then after all that, I went to update my installed ruby to the lastest 1.9.3... and when that was done, it displayed a warning that it was built with clang and there could be errors... what was the point of installing all the gcc stuff, if it didn't even use it!

mpapis

Feb 26, 2013, 4:15:33 PM2/26/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
the automated installation of libs will be disabled by default and will be documented documented with enabling it by default on the installation site.

as for the clang - please try again after "rvm get head" and open an rvm issue if it still does not work as expected => https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/issues/

John T

Feb 26, 2013, 4:22:20 PM2/26/13

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:15:33 PM UTC-5, mpapis wrote:
the automated installation of libs will be disabled by default and will be documented documented with enabling it by default on the installation site.

as for the clang - please try again after "rvm get head" and open an rvm issue if it still does not work as expected => https://github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/issues/

So do I have to now uninstall and reinstall my upgrade to the latest Ruby 1.9.3 to see if this is fixed? (btw, I did the upgrade right after doing a rvm get head, followed by rvm requirements)

mpapis

Feb 26, 2013, 5:23:03 PM2/26/13
to rubyversi...@googlegroups.com
if it's broken then reinstall, if it's not stay with it

Andrew Premdas

Feb 28, 2013, 7:04:39 AM2/28/13
On 26 February 2013 21:15, mpapis <mpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
the automated installation of libs will be disabled by default and will be documented documented with enabling it by default on the installation site.

nice :)

tx for all your work with rvm, much appreciated

Andrew