customize active record attribute display name in error message

drewB

Sep 25, 2009, 5:49:28 PM9/25/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Is there an easy way to customize the display name of the attributed
used in a validation error message. For example, let's say I have an
active record with the attribute :msg that is validated for presence.
If is doesn't exist I don't want the user to see "msg can't be
blank!" I want it to say "Message can't be blank!" Is there an easy
way to do that?

Greg Donald

Sep 25, 2009, 6:31:44 PM9/25/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Have you read the validation documentation?

All of the Rails validators support a :message option, for example
look at validates_presence_of:

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Validations/ClassMethods.html#M002164

See where it says "message - A custom error message (default is:
"can‘t be blank")." ? That means when you write

validates_presence_of :foo, :message => "Message can't be blank!"

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/

drewB

Sep 25, 2009, 8:45:17 PM9/25/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I am aware of the :message option. What I was hoping to do is be able
to use many of the default messages and just change the attribute name
displayed. For example, something like:

attr_display_name :msg "Message"

On Sep 25, 3:31 pm, Greg Donald <gdon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM, drewB <dbats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way to customize the display name of the attributed
> > used in a validation error message.  For example, let's say I have an
> > active record with the attribute :msg that is validated for presence.
> > If is doesn't exist I don't want the user to see "msg can't be
> > blank!"  I want it to say "Message can't be blank!"  Is there an easy
> > way to do that?
>
> Have you read the validation documentation?
>
> All of the Rails validators support a :message option, for example
> look at validates_presence_of:
>
> http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Validations/ClassMeth...

richardun

Sep 25, 2009, 6:01:37 PM9/25/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi drewB,

You can change the "humanized" version of that symbol when it's
accessed via human_attribute_name.

Try this:

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base

HUMANIZED_COLUMNS = {:msg => "Message"}

def self.human_attribute_name(attribute)
HUMANIZED_COLUMNS[attribute.to_sym] || super
end
end

HTH,
Richard

Richard Navarrete

Sep 25, 2009, 9:18:26 PM9/25/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I responded just a bit ago, but I don't see my response, so hopefully there won't be two responses...

Essentially, Drew, you can map the column to be something else when you call "humanize" on it.  Try this:

class Post < ActiveRecord::Base

  HUMANIZED_COLUMNS = {:msg => "Message"}

  def self.human_attribute_name(attribute)
    HUMANIZED_COLUMNS[attribute.to_sym] || super
  end
end

HTH,
Richard

richardun

drewB

Sep 26, 2009, 12:36:38 PM9/26/09
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

On Sep 25, 3:17 pm, richardun <richar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I responded just a bit ago, but I don't see my response, so hopefully
> there won't be two responses...
>
> Essentially, Drew, you can map the column to be something else when
> you call "humanize" on it.  Try this:
>
> class Post < ActiveRecord::Base
>
>   HUMANIZED_COLUMNS = {:msg => "Message"}
>
>   def self.human_attribute_name(attribute)
>     HUMANIZED_COLUMNS[attribute.to_sym] || super
>   end
> end
>
> HTH,
> Richard
>
> On Sep 25, 4:49 pm, drewB <dbats...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there an easy way to customize the display name of the attributed
> > used in a validationerrormessage.  For example, let's say I have an
> > active record with the attribute :msg that is validated for presence.
> > If is doesn't exist I don't want the user to see "msg can't be
> > blank!"  I want it to say "Messagecan't be blank!"  Is there an easy
> > way to do that?

Tom Mac

Feb 3, 2010, 7:59:14 AM2/3/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I was just trying this My models and relations are as
company has_many users
user belongs_to company

And when saving a user a company is also saved So in user model I
have
validates_associated :company

The solution works perfectly for user model attributes. But it
is not working for company attributes. For example in companies table i
have address_city field And as the solution suggests I add to company
model below code

HUMANIZED_COLUMNS = {:address_city => "City"}

def self.human_attribute_name(attribute)
HUMANIZED_COLUMNS[attribute.to_sym] || super
end

But this is not working It shows Address city .But I need is
City. Please help

Thanks
Tom

Tom Mac

Feb 3, 2010, 10:38:56 PM2/3/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi
One more thing is ,in order to show validates_associated error
message than the regular message "is invalid" I am using the hack in
environment.rb like

module ActiveRecord::Validations::ClassMethods
def validates_associated(*associations)
associations.each do |association|
class_eval do
validates_each(associations) do |record, associate_name,
value|
associates = record.send(associate_name)
associates = [associates] unless
associates.respond_to?('each')
associates.each do |associate|
if associate && !associate.valid?
associate.errors.each do |key, value|
record.errors.add(key, value)
end
end
end
end
end
end
end
end

Tom Mac

Feb 3, 2010, 11:30:07 PM2/3/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I could solve the problem the following way. But I dont know whether
this the right approach.Please correct if wrong

> module ActiveRecord::Validations::ClassMethods
> def validates_associated(*associations)
> associations.each do |association|
> class_eval do
> validates_each(associations) do |record, associate_name,
> value|
> associates = record.send(associate_name)
> associates = [associates] unless
> associates.respond_to?('each')
> associates.each do |associate|
> if associate && !associate.valid?
> associate.errors.each do |key, value|

humanized_columns = {:address_city =>
"City",:phone_oofice => "Office Phone Number"}
record.errors.add(key, value,{:attribute =>
humanized[key.to_sym] || human_attribute_name(key.to_s)})

> end
> end
> end
> end
> end
> end
> end
> end

Thanks
Tom

Sharagoz --

Feb 4, 2010, 5:34:26 AM2/4/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I would just like to add that those who uses I18n can easily add these
model "translations" to the localization file like so:

en:
activerecord:
models:
user: "User"
company: "Company"
attributes:
user:
login: "Username"
password. "Password"
company:
name: "Company name"

I prefer this method over having the HUMANIZED_COLUMNS in every model.

I18n can also be used to customize error messages, if you dont like the
default ones (like "is invalid"). This is certanly a lot cleaner than
hacking active record.

Tom Mac

Feb 4, 2010, 7:55:51 AM2/4/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Thanks for replying back.Can you please paste a good link explains how
to do this?

Tom

Sharagoz --

Feb 4, 2010, 8:17:08 AM2/4/10
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You mean how to use I18n?
Ryan Bates has a screen cast on it:
http://railscasts.com/episodes/138-i18n
And then there's the official I18n guide
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/i18n.html

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Feb 4, 2010, 9:27:03 AM2/4/10
Sharagoz -- wrote:
> You mean how to use I18n?
> Ryan Bates has a screen cast on it:
> http://railscasts.com/episodes/138-i18n
> And then there's the official I18n guide
> http://guides.rubyonrails.org/i18n.html

Unfortunately, Rails' official I18N is quite cumbersome. I highly
recommend fast_gettext.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser