Ferret Gem Installation on Windows

Bharat Ruparel

Jan 20, 2008, 2:31:01 PM1/20/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Trying to install ferret on my windows XP environment. Using
InstantRails 2.0 with RoR 2.0.2, and NetBeans 6.0. I had successfully
installed and built RailsSpace in InstantRails 1.7, but am trying to
upgrade RailsSpace to RoR 2.0.2 using the code that Michael has kindly
provided for us on the website.

When I run the gem install ferret command, I get the following error:

C:\Documents and Settings\ruparelb>gem install ferret
Updating metadata for 35 gems from http://gems.rubyforge.org
complete
ERROR: Error installing ferret:

C:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install ferret
creating Makefile

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.6 for
inspection.
Results logged to
C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.6/ext/gem_make.out

I tried googling for nmake and found nmake.exe on microsoft site
downloaded to install it, but no luck. Any help that you can provide
will be greatly appreciated.
Bharat

Message has been deleted

Bharat

Jan 22, 2008, 8:19:09 AM1/22/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hello PJ,
Thanks for your response. I was trying to avoid installing it as a
gem and was attempting to install it as a plug-in. I guess both are
OK?
Regards,
Bharat

On Jan 22, 1:12 am, PJAY79 <pjay1...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had the same problem, i dowloaded the win32 gem (Ferret-0.11.5-
> mswin32.gem) from:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1028
>
> Then run 'gem install ferret'...worked for me..
>
> PJ.
>
> On Jan 21, 6:31 am, Bharat Ruparel <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
> wrote:
>

> > Trying to install ferret on my windows XP environment.  Using
> > InstantRails2.0with RoR2.0.2, and NetBeans 6.0.  I had successfully
> > installed and built RailsSpace in InstantRails 1.7, but am trying toupgradeRailsSpace to RoR2.0.2 using the code that Michael has kindly
> > provided for us on the website.
>
> > When I run the gem install ferret command, I get the following error:
>
> > C:\Documents and Settings\ruparelb>gem install ferret
> > Updating metadata for 35 gems fromhttp://gems.rubyforge.org
> > complete
> > Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> > ERROR:  Error installing ferret:
> >         ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> > C:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install ferret
> > creating Makefile
>
> > nmake
> > 'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.
>
> > Gem files will remain installed in
> > C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.6 for
> > inspection.
> > Results logged to
> > C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ferret-0.11.6/ext/gem_make.out
>
> > I tried googling for nmake and found nmake.exe on microsoft site
> > downloaded to install it, but no luck.  Any help that you can provide
> > will be greatly appreciated.
> > Bharat

Srinu Pala

Mar 19, 2008, 3:12:24 AM3/19/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi jayarajan,

I got the same problem.
If I download the win 32 gem, But I got same error again.

Please give me the solution.

Now are working fine with ferret.

Let me know your suggestion on this issue.

Thanks,
srinivasrao.pala

Justin Tran

May 6, 2008, 4:14:41 AM5/6/08
Srinu Pala wrote:
> Hi jayarajan,
>
> I got the same problem.
> If I download the win 32 gem, But I got same error again.
>
> Please give me the solution.
>
> Now are working fine with ferret.
>
> Let me know your suggestion on this issue.
>
> Thanks,
> srinivasrao.pala

Perhaps there's a bug in the latest version (0.11.6) I guess.
It works fine with "gem install ferret --version 0.11.5"

Andrew D

Jun 5, 2008, 10:11:34 AM6/5/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks Justin, I got ferret to install on Windows XP by using version
0.11.5. I was having the same trouble as the first poster initially.
-Andrew

On May 6, 4:14 am, Justin Tran <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Mikael

Jun 18, 2008, 12:31:53 AM6/18/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Can someone please tell me why oh why gem doesn't just list the
different available versions and let you choose one?

Srinu Pala

Jun 18, 2008, 11:41:27 PM6/18/08
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jayarajan,

I installed ferret gem "version 0.11.5". It installed fine.
I think ferret will work now for me.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks
srinivas

Vito

Jun 20, 2008, 1:26:42 AM6/20/08
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I had the same problem and solved it exactly in the same way. However,
yesterday I looked at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=1028 and
there were some changes in downloads, so you can actually grab 0.11.6
version for mswin and install it successfully - it works for me at
least. :)
vito

Max Masnick

Aug 4, 2009, 5:34:23 PM8/4/09
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
"gem install ferret" didn't work for me (working with 0.11.6-rc7), but
"gem install ferret --version 0.11.5" did run without the nmake error.

"gem update ferret" throws the nmake error again :(