"Tantalizing Tapas"-flavoured event on Tuesday May 10th

Kevin Noonan

Apr 25, 2011, 2:46:29 PM4/25/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

On Tuesday, May 10th, Oisin Hurley will deliver a talk on:

"Constructing Web APIs with Rack, Sinatra and MongoDB"

Free plates of tapas will be served at the event.

Please sign up to reserve your plate:
http://www.doodle.com/w9u6f23v6ugvubn3
(Just your name will do it.)

The event will take place in the function-room of "Seagrass"
restaurant, on South Richmond Street.

Location: http://useamap.com/seagrass

You can get to South Richmond Street by taking any of these
buses from the city-centre: 14, 15, 16, 16A, 19, 19A, 83, 65B, 74...

Or catch the green-line Luas to "Charlemont", a five minute walk
East along the canal.

The speaker, Oisin Hurley, is a Rubyist and veteran of the Irish
software sector: http://twitter.com/oisin

"Ruby Ireland" is proudly sponsored by Jolt Online Gaming.
And thanks to Dediserve for hosting rubyireland.com.

Please retweet the event announcement:
http://twitter.com/#!/rubyireland/status/62584990478766080

And if you'd like to speak on May 10th, please let me know.

Happy Easter!

Kevin.

Declan McGrath

Apr 27, 2011, 11:05:56 AM4/27/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Nice one! Can't wait. I'm getting hungry already!

Dec

Meghan Gill

Apr 29, 2011, 9:40:44 AM4/29/11
to Ruby Ireland
Hi everyone -

Happy to send some MongoDB stickers and other swag to the event....
what's the best address to ship to?

Thanks
Meghan

José Domínguez

Apr 29, 2011, 11:49:13 AM4/29/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Tapas, an awesome talk, and mongo stickers??? flying back on that day
but will try to make it.

Any plans for recording this one?

cheers,
Jos

PS: can provide address for the stuff if needed... Declan?

Kevin Noonan

Apr 29, 2011, 3:44:15 PM4/29/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Meghan,

I'll provide an address to you in a private email.

Jose, no promises, but I'll see what we can do about recording the talk...

Ciao,

Kevin.

Regis Mesquita

Apr 29, 2011, 4:01:36 PM4/29/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
I am also hoping for a record. :/

--
Regis Mesquita
Sent with Sparrow

José Domínguez

Apr 29, 2011, 4:19:14 PM4/29/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kevin. I should make it (probably a bit late) but it would be
good to have the talks available.

matt

Apr 30, 2011, 8:42:44 AM4/30/11
to Ruby Ireland
I have a copy of ScreenFlow (mac) and a bluetooth wireless mic that
might help with recording things, I'll bring those along.

Kevin Noonan

Apr 30, 2011, 9:08:13 AM4/30/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt!

Does anyone (who's coming on May 10th) have a suitable video camera?

Regards,

Kevin.

Oisin Hurley

Apr 30, 2011, 9:38:05 AM4/30/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Now I'm getting nervous ;)

Kevin Noonan

May 5, 2011, 6:21:04 PM5/5/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Please enter your name, if you're planning to attend the talk next
Tuesday in Seagrass:

http://www.doodle.com/w9u6f23v6ugvubn3

There will be free plates of tapas.

And swag from "10Gen", the company behind MongoDB (assuming it arrives
by next Tuesday).

Ciao,

Kevin.

[...]

[...]

Declan McGrath

May 6, 2011, 7:37:41 AM5/6/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, Kevin Noonan
I want the swag bag! Mongo! Mongo!

Kevin Noonan

May 9, 2011, 12:53:38 PM5/9/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A reminder that Oisin Hurley will deliver his talk in Seagrass, South
Richmond Street, on Tuesday 10th:

"Constructing Web APIs with Rack, Sinatra and MongoDB"

The event begins at 7pm, with the talk at 7:30pm, followed by
questions--then free plates of tapas will be served.

You can still sign up to reserve your plate:

http://www.doodle.com/w9u6f23v6ugvubn3
(Just your name will do it.)

No sign yet of the swag from 10gen. Fingers crossed for delivery on
Tuesday morning.

See you there,

Kevin.

Oisin Hurley

May 10, 2011, 1:42:18 PM5/10/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Slides are up on http://www.slideshare.net/oisin/constructing-web-apis-with-rack-sinatra-and-mongodb

If the swag hasn't arrived, there will be ructions, Kevin. Perhaps this is
an example of mongoDB's eventual consistency approach?

--oh

--
Oisin Hurley
oisin....@gmail.com

Declan McGrath

May 11, 2011, 11:39:19 AM5/11/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, oisin....@gmail.com
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Oisin Hurley <oisin....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Slides are up on http://www.slideshare.net/oisin/constructing-web-apis-with-rack-sinatra-and-mongodb
>
> If the swag hasn't arrived, there will be ructions, Kevin. Perhaps this is
> an example of mongoDB's eventual consistency approach?

Ha ha!

Thanks for the talk last night Oisin. Really enjoyed it. And we'll try
to time the food a little better next time :-) Thanks for your
patience!

All the best,
Dec

>  --oh
>
> --
> Oisin Hurley
> oisin....@gmail.com

Oisin Hurley

May 11, 2011, 12:20:32 PM5/11/11
to Declan McGrath, ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the talk last night Oisin. Really enjoyed it. And we'll try
> to time the food a little better next time :-) Thanks for your
> patience!

Cheers - enjoyed it too - btw there was something I said I would
link to on the list, but damned if I can remember what it was. If
anyone remembers, let me know.

BTW - Slideshare are working on evicting some stupidon particle
that is preventing the presenter notes from showing up. Hope to
have it sorted soon. It's kinda work-aroundable if you View Source
in your browser and scroll down to $('#notesList') :)

--oh

Kevin Noonan

May 11, 2011, 6:36:50 PM5/11/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, Oisin Hurley
Thanks again, Oisin,

While you were speaking, you did mention the possibility of a follow-up talk.

You're welcome to present to /Ruby Ireland/ any time.

And I'll distribute the swag from 10gen at next month's event!

Regards,

Kevin.

Oisin Hurley

May 12, 2011, 11:36:23 AM5/12/11
to Kevin Noonan, ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
> While you were speaking, you did mention the possibility of a follow-up talk.

Strangely enough, I just got an idea for a new mongo-based project that
might hit scale, so that would be worth a talk :)

Bit of a broken record here - but the 'people' at Slideshare still don't know
how to make a tab react to a click on their website. So I stuck up a gist
that will pull the notes from the presentation and pop them into an HTML
file -- https://gist.github.com/968161

matt

May 14, 2011, 11:59:32 AM5/14/11
to Ruby Ireland
Hi all,

I managed to record video/audio from last Tuesday's talk and mix it
together with Oisin's slides; It's available here on Vimeo;

http://vimeo.com/23683296

On May 12, 4:36 pm, Oisin Hurley <oisin.hur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > While you were speaking, you did mention the possibility of a follow-up talk.
>
> Strangely enough, I just got an idea for a new mongo-based project that
> might hit scale, so that would be worth a talk :)
>
> Bit of a broken record here - but the 'people' at Slideshare still don't know
> how to make a tab react to a click on their website. So I stuck up a gist
> that will pull the notes from the presentation and pop them into an HTML
> file --https://gist.github.com/968161
>
> --oh
>
> --
> Oisin Hurley
> oisin.hur...@gmail.com

Kevin Noonan

May 14, 2011, 2:25:44 PM5/14/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Matt,

Thanks again for recording the talk!

And as @paulmwatson noted, there was a link to Oisin's slides
in the recent RubyWeekly.com email newsletter.

http://twitter.com/#!/paulmwatson/status/68653985367732224

Regards,

Kevin.