Ruby Project Nights

Alan Richsardson

Jun 6, 2011, 7:17:32 AM6/6/11
to Ruby Ireland
We're starting some Ruby on Rails ‘Project Nights’ at AMWorks – our
first Project Night is on the 16th of June & we'll have one on the 2nd
Thursday of every month – 6.30pm to 10.00pm.

Come work on your Ruby on Rails projects, get programming help, help
others, and hang out. We’ll have a multi-screen wireless projector for
showcasing your project or problem solving.

Check out www.amworks.ie for more info on the location & space.
Message has been deleted

Declan McGrath

Jun 6, 2011, 7:59:44 AM6/6/11
to Ruby Ireland
This is a great idea. I suggest that we do this as our official Ruby
Ireland meetup this month (instead of the usual presentation format)
to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the space, Alan!

Some Ideas
------------------
* Porting the feedback plugin to Rails 3 (https://github.com/purbohadi/
feedback)
- This is a handy little plugin for any Rail's site, especially for
people putting together an e-commerce sight (a popular topic lately).
Currently, it only works with Rails 2.3.x so it would be nice to try
and do this for Rails 3
* Add your own ideas below...
> Check outwww.amworks.iefor more info on the location & space.

José Domínguez

Jun 6, 2011, 8:14:16 AM6/6/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
It's a great idea indeed! are newbies to Ruby welcome? I'd be happy to
help out in any projects and learn through collaboration.

Oh, just remembered, Hacknights is on this week. Thursday the 9th from
7pm in Accents. Same idea but not Ruby only; more info here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/hacknights/comments/hpxpz/next_meet_up_accents_9th_june_7pm/

cheers,
José

Colin

Jun 6, 2011, 9:48:51 PM6/6/11
to Ruby Ireland
Great idea, think might stroll along!

> Check outwww.amworks.iefor more info on the location & space.

ALejandro Kohn

Jun 6, 2011, 2:05:49 PM6/6/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great! I am looking forward to it!

2011/6/6 José Domínguez <jjdoming...@gmail.com>:

--
Alejandro Kohn
www.kohn.cl

Declan McGrath

Jun 7, 2011, 5:35:29 AM6/7/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Ruby newbies are definitely welcome!

And yip, there are similarities to
http://www.reddit.com/r/hacknights/comments/hpxpz/next_meet_up_accents_9th_june_7pm

Regards,
Dec

Declan McGrath

Jun 15, 2011, 10:17:59 AM6/15/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
All set for tomorrow at amworks folks?

Shout if you have a particular project you'd like to work on and
announce to others (no worries if you've not to say at this stage or
just want to work away on your own!).

I was also thinking that some people might prefer to work on something
not tied to an actual project. For example, looking into map-reduce
and seeing how to get it going with something like mongoid.

I'll prob be most interested in giving the feedback gem a lash but
sure we see how it all shakes down!

Ciao,
Dec

Liam

Jun 16, 2011, 3:41:02 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
This is a great idea...

Am working on an interesting RoR project and 75% there!!

ALejandro Kohn

Jun 16, 2011, 4:47:53 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
I am looking forward for tonight!

I see you there,

Alejandro

2011/6/15 Declan McGrath <decl...@gmail.com>:

--
Alejandro Kohn
www.kohn.cl

Declan McGrath

Jun 16, 2011, 4:57:46 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Cool. See you there guys later!

I was also toying with the idea of trying to do a Ruby class browser.
Might be nice to visualise it with HTML5 or something similar -
probably won't all get done in one night though :-)

Anyone know of any other Ruby class diagram browsers out there.
Actually this is better a separate thread. Wait a sec...

Dec

Jonathan Clarke

Jun 16, 2011, 5:22:18 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
This idea was really successful over here in Sydney. Monthly hack nights brought 5-10 devs together, usually with a core objective like say use Haskell or work on this open source lib, etc.   Have fun.

Jonathan

José Domínguez

Jun 16, 2011, 5:30:58 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
should be fun! :)

never been to the space... is it easy to find? I'm checking street
view and don't seem to find any signs. The row is short enough anyway,
shouldn't be much of a problem, right?

cheers,
José

Declan McGrath

Jun 16, 2011, 7:54:32 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Should be easy to track down. The exact address is

AMWorks @ Angesea Mills‎
9 Anglesea Row, Dublin 7
Dublin 1, Ireland
amworks.ie

If lost then one option is to tweet with the hashtag #rubyireland and
we'll track peeps down!

Ciao,
Dec

Tadeusz Cantwell

Jun 16, 2011, 8:22:30 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Ok, dumb question, is this on tonight, what time does it start?

tad

José Domínguez

Jun 16, 2011, 8:42:32 AM6/16/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
yup, tonight and apparently every second Thursday of the month from
now on. 6.30pm to 10pm.
Info in the first message of this very thread.

cheers,
José

José Domínguez

Jun 17, 2011, 4:29:44 AM6/17/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

last night was fun and very helpful; looking forward to the next one!

This is the Javascript meet up I mentioned:
http://www.meetup.com/Javascript-Dublin/events/21283821/
apps with jquery and the fizz buzz kata with Jasmine; if you thinking
of popping in, bring your laptops for the kata if you fancy following
along (it's a really easy one! really!).

cheers,
José

PS: After talking to Alan last night I'm not sure about the location,
but it will get sorted before the meet up anyway!

matt

Jun 17, 2011, 5:13:47 AM6/17/11
to Ruby Ireland
Sorry, I wasn't able to make it last night, hopefully next month.
Looks like a great space.

On Jun 16, 1:42 pm, José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yup, tonight and apparently every second Thursday of the month from
> now on. 6.30pm to 10pm.
> Info in the first message of this very thread.
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 16 June 2011 13:22, Tadeusz Cantwell <t4d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Ok, dumb question, is this on tonight, what time does it start?
>
> > tad
>
> > On 16 June 2011 12:54, Declan McGrath <decla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Should be easy to track down. The exact address is
>
> >> AMWorks @ Angesea Mills‎
> >> 9 Anglesea Row, Dublin 7
> >> Dublin 1, Ireland
> >> amworks.ie
>
> >> If lost then one option is to tweet with the hashtag #rubyireland and
> >> we'll track peeps down!
>
> >> Ciao,
> >> Dec

ALejandro Kohn

Jun 17, 2011, 5:19:09 AM6/17/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
hi José,

I agree! I had a great time and I am looking forward for the next one.

Alejandro

Iain McNulty

Jun 21, 2011, 6:41:18 AM6/21/11
to Ruby Ireland
Hey folks,

Just calling in to show my "face" again. It's great what you guys are
doing in organising project nights etc. and I'd like to come along to
the next one. As I told you I'm a real novice but if there are seats
available I'd be happy to fill one. I've just started my own ruby gem
by the way...

module FiannaFail

# incompetance and misery here....

end

On Jun 17, 10:19 am, ALejandro Kohn <alek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi José,
>
> I agree! I had a great time and I am looking forward for the next one.
>
> Alejandro
>
> 2011/6/17 José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com>:
>

> > Hey guys,
>
> > last night was fun and very helpful; looking forward to the next one!
>
> > This is the Javascript meet up I mentioned:
> >http://www.meetup.com/Javascript-Dublin/events/21283821/
> > apps with jquery and the fizz buzz kata with Jasmine; if you thinking
> > of popping in, bring your laptops for the kata if you fancy following
> > along (it's a really easy one! really!).
>
> > cheers,
> > José
>
> > PS: After talking to Alan last night I'm not sure about the location,
> > but it will get sorted before the meet up anyway!
>
> > 2011/6/16 José Domínguez <jjdominguezve...@gmail.com>:
> >> yup, tonight and apparently every second Thursday of the month from
> >> now on. 6.30pm to 10pm.
> >> Info in the first message of this very thread.
>
> >> cheers,
> >> José

> read more »

José Domínguez

Jun 24, 2011, 3:45:08 AM6/24/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, a new tut with an Engine packaged as a gem... not what we
were trying to do the other night but can be interesting anyway:
http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2011/06/23/a-guide-to-starting-your-own-rails-engine-gem/

cheers,
José

Declan McGrath

Jun 27, 2011, 3:32:02 AM6/27/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, Alan @AMWorks
Hey guys,

Nice link José! That will come in very helpful as it covers the whole
engines aspect.

Meant to post on this thread after the last project night a couple of
weeks back and say thanks to Alan at Amworks for being a super host!

Then venue rocked, And there is top notch projector with a high
resolution available to help collaborate on a project. Wifi worked
flawlessly to boot!

As it was the first night, we took it pretty easy. We settled up on
the long term goal of making a Rails 3 version of Jean-Sebastien
Boulanger's Feedback plugin https://github.com/jsboulanger/feedback
(currently Rails 2 only).

We started with working through Yehuda Katz's post at
http://railsdispatch.com/posts/how-rails-3-enables-more-choices-part-1
to get a feel for the overall structure of a gem in Rails 3.

The evening meandered between the overall goal and a range of
subplots, such as discussing some Ruby concepts and best practices.
The main output was a better understanding of how a gem hangs
together, a plan on what we'd like to implement - and a repository on
which we can build.

The code put together is just the basics of how a gem hangs together.
It was published at
https://github.com/theirishpenguin/ruby_ireland_feedback (maybe we
should set up a rubyireland repo?) and is starting point for adding
the actual functionality of the feedback gem in future. Fork away or
just reply here if you want commit rights to the current
ruby_ireland_feedback repo.

So a very enjoyable debut to the Ruby Project nights at Amworks and
we're glad to announce that they'll be a regular occurrence with the
next one happening in July. Details on the way soon.

All the best,
Declan

Declan McGrath

Jun 27, 2011, 6:45:50 AM6/27/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com, Alan @AMWorks
The next date for Ruby Project Nights is the 14th July! Same bat time,
same bat channel. Again at @amworks

Declan

Kevin Noonan

Jul 3, 2011, 9:18:37 AM7/3/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

For the event on July 14th, directions to AMWorks...

AMWorks is located to the rear of the AIB branch on Capel Street. Walk
from the Spire down Henry Street, continue straight on to the end of
Mary Street; then walk around to the left of the AIB branch. Turn
right onto cobblestones. The entrance to AMWorks is located about
half-way down this street (Anglesea Row, which runs parallel to Capel
Street).

Regards,

Kevin.

steve

Jul 8, 2011, 1:00:50 PM7/8/11
to Ruby Ireland
Is there a signup page or do you just turn up ?

José Domínguez

Jul 8, 2011, 4:11:31 PM7/8/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Last month was just turn up... guess this month is the same.

José

Declan McGrath

Jul 14, 2011, 12:31:47 PM7/14/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder - tonight's the night!

Dec

Wiktor Schmidt

Jul 14, 2011, 12:45:56 PM7/14/11
to ruby_i...@googlegroups.com
If you guys have any problems getting in you can ring me @ 083 409
3049. I'm in amworks right now.

regards / pozdrawiam
Wiktor

--
Wiktor Schmidt, netguru sp. z o. o.
IE: +353 (83) 409 3049 | PL: +48 601 165 799

== Warto zobaczyć ==
http://netguru.pl/p/en - webdevelopment outsourcing
http://humanway.com - intuicyjne zarządzanie rekrutacją
http://twojprojekt.pl - projekty domów