Windows Live Logout Errors

Christian Niles

Oct 8, 2009, 1:10:02 PM10/8/09
to rpx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Windows Live users are getting warnings whenever they sign out from
Hotmail or Bing. The warnings state that Windows Live was unable to
sign out of "https://login.getsatisfaction.com/liveid/return", as well
as "https://signin.rpxnow.com/liveid/return".

Does RPX support the Windows Live signout protocol? It's documented
here:

Users are getting really confused and blaming us for not allowing them
to log out of Hotmail.

Thanks!
christian.

Jonathan Daugherty

Oct 8, 2009, 2:22:13 PM10/8/09
to rpx-dev...@googlegroups.com
# Does RPX support the Windows Live signout protocol?

The short answer is, "no."

The long answer is that RPX can't support Windows Live signout,
because in order to support it, the relying party site itself would
need to expose a sign-out API to RPX. Otherwise, signout of RPX has
no meaning; we cannot guarantee that the user is signed out of
anything at all.

We get occasional direct messages from integrators about this problem,
and it's very unfortunate. We could fake it and support the sign-out
by issuing the appropriate responses to Windows Live, but then we'd be
violating the requirements of the document you mentioned.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!

--
Jonathan Daugherty
Software Engineer

Christian Niles

Oct 8, 2009, 2:37:03 PM10/8/09
to rpx-dev...@googlegroups.com
We're using a custom realm, which should give your server access to
cookies to clear. Perhaps in the future you could support clearing a
list of cookies from the subdomain? Or include a javascript which
would perform the cookie clearing?