First time testing ANDROID App

Saurabh

Mar 3, 2010, 11:14:32 AM3/3/10
to Robotium Developers, saurabh...@accenture.com
Hi all,

I want to use "Robotium" tool for testing Android application in my
current project.
I am working as tester in my current organization.
I am first time doing ANDROID project. I didn't have info about
ANDROID and ECLIPSE.
as I am a tester I don't know about the ANDROID APIs.

i used the Example Test project whcih is mentioned in Getting started
Page.
But tell me the steps of creating the Junit Test project from the
scratch, I am very new in that.

It would be great if you send me the steps (as a ANDROID starter) of
using this framework.
Also, I already send the request join that group in google groups.

Thanks & Regards,
Sauarbh Jain

Renas Reda

Mar 3, 2010, 11:42:47 AM3/3/10
to Robotium Developers
Hi Saurabh,

In Eclipse do the following:

Choose: File --> New
Android Test Project --> Test Target: An existing Android Project and
there you choose the project that you want to test (You can import a
new project from the
samples folder if you want an application to test). Then you set up
the new test project just like
NotePadTest is setup and you add the following manifest tag to the
samples project: <uses-permission
android:name="android.permission.GET_TASKS" />

You dont need to have the application that you are testing in your
Eclipse workspace. However you need to add into your test project what
the package name of the application that you want to test is:
<instrumentation android:targetPackage="com.example.android.notepad"
android:name="android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner" /> Here you
would need to change "com.example.android.notepad" to the package name
of the application you want to test.

If you have both the test project and the application project in
Eclipse then Eclipse will automatically sign both projects with the
default Android certificate. If you dont have both in Eclipse you have
to make sure that your test project is signed with the same
certificate as the application under test.

I hope this helps a little. I think you will see how to do when you
have created the Android test project and compared it to the
NotePadTest project.

Sincerely,
Renas

chand

Mar 4, 2010, 5:55:36 AM3/4/10
to Robotium Developers
And adding to this. Importing the robotium-solo-1.3.1.jar into
eclipse :

1. In the Package Explorer panel, right-click on your project and
select Properties.
2. Select Java Build Path, then the tab Libraries.
3. Press the Add External JARs... button and select the JAR file.