Dialogs, FontLab, others

Erik van Blokland

Oct 5, 2011, 7:46:04 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I'm working on the overhaul of the dialogs in robofab.interface. I have versions working in RoboFont and Glyphs (via TypeSupply's vanilla). I have a version working in FontLab 5.0.4 on 10.6. I have a version working in FontLab 5.1 on 10.7. I have a couple of points for those of you who use the RoboFab dialogs.

I have trouble with FontLab 5.1 on 10.6. Below is a simple test script that calls up a very simple alert in FontLab 5.1. When I try it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm running out of ideas and I'm calling out to the community. It would be helpful to see if it is just my machine causing grief, or if it is a wider spread issue. If you happen to have a 5.1 version installed, on 10.6.8, see if you can run this successfully in the Macro panel.

from AppKit import NSAlert, NSCriticalAlertStyle
alertStyle = NSCriticalAlertStyle
alert = NSAlert.alloc().init()
print alert.runModal()

It could look something like this:

PastedGraphic-1.png

Yanone

Oct 5, 2011, 7:50:29 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com

Am 05.10.2011 um 13:46 schrieb Erik van Blokland:

> from AppKit import NSAlert, NSCriticalAlertStyle
> alertStyle = NSCriticalAlertStyle
> alert = NSAlert.alloc().init()
> print alert.runModal()

Output is »0« and other than that nothing happens.
5.1 on 10.6.8 as you said.

Yassin Baggar

Oct 5, 2011, 7:56:44 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Still on 10.6.7 but I also just get a '0'.

Build 4283 (FL 5.1)

> Post result, FL build, OSX version, any tracebacks if you get any. Negative as well as positive results are useful.
>
> I'm also considering dropping the support for these dialogs. They would still be available for legacy installations - < 5.1, < 10.7 in FL. But since building interfaces with vanilla or cocoa is now a lot easier (especially in RoboFont and Glyphs) they seem redundant. Any objections?
> SearchList
> TwoChecks
> TwoFields
>

> Thanks!
> Erik<PastedGraphic-1.png>--
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RoboFab" group.
>
> Messages from newly joined members are subject to moderation.
> Download RoboFab and documentation at http://robofab.com

Gustavo Ferreira

Oct 5, 2011, 8:07:41 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com
hi Erik,

FL 5.1 build 4269
OSX 10.6.8

Dialog appears as in your screenshot, after OK '0' is printed.

I've tried it several times, seems to work always.

Cheers,
G.

Erik van Blokland

Oct 5, 2011, 8:10:04 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com

On 5 okt 2011, at 13:50, Yanone wrote:

Output is »0« and other than that nothing happens.
5.1 on 10.6.8 as you said.

which 5.1 build do you have?

Yanone

Oct 5, 2011, 8:17:41 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com

Am 05.10.2011 um 14:10 schrieb Erik van Blokland:

>> Output is »0« and other than that nothing happens.
>> 5.1 on 10.6.8 as you said.
>
> which 5.1 build do you have?

Oh, sorry.
It's 4283.

Ben Kiel

Oct 5, 2011, 9:07:03 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com
I just get 0 in the output window on OSX 10.6.8, FL 5.1 version 4269

Best,
Ben

Joancarles Casasin

Oct 5, 2011, 9:21:20 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com
Same here.
Just '0'.

OSX 10.6.8, FL 5.1 version 4283.

Joancarles

casasin.com
cosesmeves.posterous.com

Zachary Quinn Scheuren

Oct 5, 2011, 9:54:03 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com
FL 5.1 build 4283
10.6.8

I get 0 with no dialog from your original code, but adding NSApplication.sharedApplication() gets the dialog working every time for me.

from AppKit import NSAlert, NSCriticalAlertStyle, NSApplication
NSApplication.sharedApplication()
alertStyle = NSCriticalAlertStyle
alert = NSAlert.alloc().init()
print alert.runModal()

Console output led me to this which says it's not being initialized:

Post result, FL build, OSX version, any tracebacks if you get any.  Negative as well as positive results are useful.

I'm also considering dropping the support for these dialogs. They would still be available for legacy installations - < 5.1, < 10.7 in FL. But since building interfaces with vanilla or cocoa is now a lot easier (especially in RoboFont and Glyphs) they seem redundant. Any objections?
SearchList
TwoChecks
TwoFields

Thanks!
Erik<PastedGraphic-1.png>--

Erik van Blokland

Oct 5, 2011, 10:14:46 AM10/5/11
to RoboFab
That is very interesting, thanks!

On Oct 5, 3:54 pm, Zachary Quinn Scheuren <zarijos...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> FL 5.1 build 4283
> 10.6.8
>
> I get 0 with no dialog from your original code, but adding NSApplication.sharedApplication() gets the dialog working every time for me.
>
> from AppKit import NSAlert, NSCriticalAlertStyle, NSApplication
> NSApplication.sharedApplication()
> alertStyle = NSCriticalAlertStyle
> alert = NSAlert.alloc().init()
> print alert.runModal()
>
> Console output led me to this which says it's not being initialized:http://graphicsnotes.blogspot.com/2010/01/programmatically-creating-w...
>
> On Oct 5, 2011, at 4:46 AM, Erik van Blokland wrote:
>

> > Folks,
>
> > I'm working on the overhaul of the dialogs in robofab.interface. I have versions working in RoboFont and Glyphs (via TypeSupply's vanilla). I have a version working in FontLab 5.0.4 on 10.6. I have a version working in FontLab 5.1 on 10.7. I have a couple of points for those of you who use the RoboFab dialogs.
>
> > I have trouble with FontLab 5.1 on 10.6. Below is a simple test script that calls up a very simple alert in FontLab 5.1. When I try it, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm running out of ideas and I'm calling out to the community. It would be helpful to see if it is just my machine causing grief, or if it is a wider spread issue. If you happen to have a 5.1 version installed, on 10.6.8, see if you can run this successfully in the Macro panel.
>
> > from AppKit import NSAlert, NSCriticalAlertStyle
> > alertStyle = NSCriticalAlertStyle
> > alert = NSAlert.alloc().init()
> > print alert.runModal()
>
> > It could look something like this:
>
> > Post result, FL build, OSX version, any tracebacks if you get any.  Negative as well as positive results are useful.
>
> > I'm also considering dropping the support for these dialogs. They would still be available for legacy installations - < 5.1, < 10.7 in FL. But since building interfaces with vanilla or cocoa is now a lot easier (especially in RoboFont and Glyphs) they seem redundant. Any objections?
> >    SearchList
> >    TwoChecks
> >    TwoFields
>
> > Thanks!
> > Erik<PastedGraphic-1.png>--
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RoboFab" group.

Ben Kiel

Yanone

Oct 5, 2011, 10:21:45 AM10/5/11
to rob...@googlegroups.com

Am 05.10.2011 um 16:17 schrieb Ben Kiel:

> Using that code, it works for me everytime, 10.6.8, FL 4269.

Same over here.

Erik van Blokland

Oct 5, 2011, 10:50:16 AM10/5/11
to RoboFab
Zachary, Yanone, Ben, Joancarles, Gustavo, that was very helpful,
thank you!

The overhauled robofab.interface.all dialogs is now available on svn:
http://code.robofab.com/changeset/380

It's a fairly complex update, so keep an eye on it. Especially the
mac_vanilla dialogs need more work.
But the basic dialogs for FL work in 5.04 and 5.1, on 10.6 and 10.7.

Erik

Peter Fraterdeus

Mar 31, 2012, 1:15:25 PM3/31/12
to rob...@googlegroups.com
One more redundant result, because I was searching for TwoChecks, which throws a deprecation warning

I get the dialog and a 0 in output.

FL 5.1.2 (5447), OS X 10.7.2

The deprecation warning disappeared when I remembered to svn up RoboFab and dependencies!

Thanks!