distributed marketplaces

danny jp

Apr 8, 2011, 4:28:05 PM4/8/11
to rippl...@googlegroups.com
I thought I'd start a separate thread on this to separate from the v0.5 protocol threads.

Here's two links that a quick search on "distributed marketplace" throws up:

Note on the link above the underlined bit that says "If only there were a way to easily accept credit card payments from friends…".

Not sure what the practical technical value of this Kendra thing is, but it does illustrate the point that others are thinking about distributed marketplaces.

My main point is that a distributed payments system without a distributed marketplace somewhat devalues the notion of distributed payments from a competition perspective. I don't mean to say that ripple should expand its scope, but rather to consider what might be required to interoperate with other open source distributed marketplaces efficiently and to minimize scaling costs inherent in both.

Daniel

Apr 8, 2011, 5:36:16 PM4/8/11
to rippl...@googlegroups.com
See also this:

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/business-models-for-diy-craft/2011/04/07

Beside Open Hardware, there is another bottom-up movement that’s slowly growing: the world of do-it-yourself (DIY) and microproductions of craft and fashion design products. There are many people designing and creating handmade product, clothes, bags and accessories, most of them consider it as an hobby, but an increasing number of people are trying to make a living on it, whether alone as an hobby (DIY) or in small groups trying to start small enterprises (microproductions).

The necessity to find new business models is getting urgent in DIY and Craft microproductions, since each maker has his/her own business model and they struggle to find a balance in their growth (something hard to understand for them). As Zoe Romano and Bertram Niessen from Openwear pointed out in an interview for openp2pdesign.org, many DIY Craft makers still follow the seasonal rhythm of collections, others are experimenting flexible models. Some people are split between different activities: they are at the same time crafters and crafting teachers, or they design and realize their own collection but, at the same time, they work also for third parts in different positions of the production chain. One of the biggest problems of the DIY Craft movement (especially compared to Open Source and Open Hardware) is the extreme fragmentation of the community: in Open projects communities may be small, but there are definitely more people collaborating together in the same project than in DIY Craft. It’s easier to profit with the long tail of DIY Craft than with a single project, and here we could use microcredit as a tool for community building and for building and managing collaborative networks among the many makers.
Moreover, as reported by Zoe Romano and Bertram Niessen, the b2b DIY Craft scene has a good percentage of transactions based on the bartering of goods and services and the money are mainly left to the direct selling of end products. We should then also consider this aspect, and think about microcredit initiatives within the DIY community and microcredit initiatives even outside it. It could be even just one microcredit initiative but in the end it will work in a different way inside and outside the community, and we should use it to create a stronger collaborative ecosystem.
signature.asc

cjen...@googlemail.com

Apr 8, 2011, 8:43:57 PM4/8/11
to Ripple Project
Danny

A distributed payments system and a distributed market are two sides
of the same coin.

I wrote this

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/chris-cook-on-a-structure-for-market-30-part-one/2008/02/22

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/chris-cook-on-a-structure-for-market-30-part-two-regulation-30/2008/02/23

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/chris-cook-on-a-structure-for-market-30-part-three-market-corporations/2008/02/24

over 10 years ago, from a background as a director of a global energy
exchange, and in the aftermath of a dot com which created a generic
transaction repository/registration system.

This presentation outlined my thinking as it has evolved today

http://www.slideshare.net/ChrisJCook/economic-systems-thinking230710

I have recently been appointed a Fellow of UCL's Institute for
Security and Resilience Studies, where I am working on next generation
'Resilient Markets' ie decentralised, dis-intermediated and networked
markets.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isrs/publications/DECCresponse

As I have several times said on this list, I see Ripple as a clearing
methodology/protocol for credit obligations within a suitable
framework of trust/'guarantee society' agreement.

I aim to put together a couple of projects to create prototypes in the
next few months, if anyone is interested.

Best Regards

Chris Cook

On Apr 8, 9:28 pm, danny jp <danny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought I'd start a separate thread on this to separate from the v0.5
> protocol threads.
>
> Here's two links that a quick search on "distributed marketplace" throws up:
>
> http://labs.kortina.net/2010/02/18/the-distributed-marketplace-for-se...
>
> Note on the link above the underlined bit that says "If only there were a
> way to easily accept credit card payments from friends <https://venmo.com/>

Ryan Fugger

Apr 8, 2011, 8:52:43 PM4/8/11
to rippl...@googlegroups.com
A distributed marketplace protocol on top of Ripple could be something
as simple as broadcasting textual messages with offers and wants over
the network, or as complex as the thing described here:

http://www.aaai.org/Papers/JAIR/Vol19/JAIR-1915.pdf

An earlier version of the protocol I wrote up had support for
advertising "channels":

http://ripple-project.org/Protocol/Channel

Ryan

danny jp

Apr 9, 2011, 7:43:33 AM4/9/11
to rippl...@googlegroups.com
"An earlier version of the protocol I wrote up had support for advertising "channels":"

That was the channels idea to which I was kind of referring in my earlier queries. I think the term has got overloaded recently with lower layer (BEEP) features of the same name and this is what confused me.

Regarding product adverts and listings, I would suggest that these are better off being sent to specific nodes who make their node host ID public, and who are advertising listing services, and who promise an always online service. Items for sale could quite happily be listed at multiple market nodes.

I'm imagining something like a node descriptor, along the lines of USB device class descriptors, but perhaps a bit simpler...

Incidentally, when I go to that old channels link and click on the 'Advertisements' link, it asks for a password...

Danny

Ryan Fugger

Apr 9, 2011, 1:24:33 PM4/9/11
to rippl...@googlegroups.com, danny jp
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 4:43 AM, danny jp <dann...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Incidentally, when I go to that old channels link and click on the
> 'Advertisements' link, it asks for a password...

Fixed.