Experiencing issues with Notifications in 2.4

Jacob Feisley

May 27, 2012, 2:24:17 PM5/27/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
We just upgraded all of our servers to 2.4 and are noticing some odd issues with Email Notifications:

1. If a project is watched for 'new changes' a notification is not received for it being uploaded

2. If a reviewer is added via the web interface a notification is sent to them

3. If a user comments/reviews a change via the web interface that I am a reviewer on or watching a notification is sent.

4. If a user comments/reviews a change via ssh, the notification is not sent.

5. If a user abandons a review from either web or ssh, the notification will be sent.

Most notable here are (1) and (4) where notifications are not being sent.

I verified this by running 'tcpdump' on the server while performing these actions. During the scenarios with notifications failing, no connection was ever made outbound to our smtp server.

We had upgraded from 2.3 where these scenarios performed normally and have not changed any of the configuration.

- Jacob

Anatol Pomazau

May 28, 2012, 2:51:27 AM5/28/12
to Jacob Feisley, Colby Ranger, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On May 27, 2012 12:28 PM, "Jacob Feisley" <jacob....@gmail.com> wrote:
We just upgraded all of our servers to 2.4 and are noticing some odd issues with Email Notifications:

1. If a project is watched for 'new changes' a notification is not received for it being uploaded

2. If a reviewer is added via the web interface a notification is sent to them

3. If a user comments/reviews a change via the web interface that I am a reviewer on or watching a notification is sent.

4. If a user comments/reviews a change via ssh, the notification is not sent.

5. If a user abandons a review from either web or ssh, the notification will be sent.

Most notable here are (1) and (4) where notifications are not being sent.

This sounds like a bug that I saw recently in HEAD. The issue is that SSH command fails to send notifications because of a bug in ssh objects scope lifecycle.

This CL fixes the issue https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/34840 but I do not know whether it is included to release.

Saša Živkov

May 28, 2012, 5:59:16 AM5/28/12
to Anatol Pomazau, Jacob Feisley, Colby Ranger, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
No, this change is not included in the 2.4.
Because of this and a few other bugs reported here, I will start
preparing the 2.4.1 release.

Sasa Zivkov

Jacob Feisley

May 29, 2012, 6:23:47 PM5/29/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Anatol Pomazau, Jacob Feisley, Colby Ranger
Sasa,

I tested https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/34840 on top of v2.4 and it resolves all the notification issues mentioned in my tests. Thanks, Anatol, for pointing that out.

- Jacob

Anatol Pomazau

May 29, 2012, 6:34:59 PM5/29/12
to Jacob Feisley, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Colby Ranger
Hi

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Jacob Feisley <jacob....@gmail.com> wrote:
Sasa,

I tested https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/34840 on top of v2.4 and it resolves all the notification issues mentioned in my tests. Thanks, Anatol, for pointing that out.

You are welcome.

There is also related change that improves error reporting in case of email notification errors.

IMHO it also worth including to the release branch.

yingchun li

Jun 21, 2012, 6:16:42 AM6/21/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Feisley, Colby Ranger

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:21:09 PM UTC+8, Ed Smith wrote:
This is now released at http://gerrit-documentation.googlecode.com/svn/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes-2.4.1.html

I had another problem with email notification:
    1,I push one changes and add a reviewer, the reviewer will receive the email
     2, the review kick back my changes, and I received the email with the comments
     3, I update my changes and push it again, this time the reviewer didn't receive
        the patchset2's email.
    My gerrit version is 2.4, does v2.4.1 fix this bugs? or this is another problem?
 anyway, I will try the new  version.
Br,
Yingchun

Saša Živkov

Jun 21, 2012, 7:36:06 AM6/21/12
to yingchun li, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Jacob Feisley, Colby Ranger
Yes, and let us know if it helps.

> Br,
> Yingchun

yingchun li

Jun 25, 2012, 2:24:14 AM6/25/12
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, yingchun li, Jacob Feisley, Colby Ranger
Version2.4.1 is OK, when I update the change, the reviewers can receive
the mails.
Many thanks!