repo manifest documentation?

skillzero

Apr 17, 2009, 8:47:29 PM4/17/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Is there documentation for the repo manifest file and how to set
things up to use repo outside of Android? Do the git repositories need
to be set up in any special way to use them effectively with repo? Or
is repo not recommended for use outside of Android?

I can sort of figure things out by looking at the Android manifest and
I got a test project working, but I was curious if there's any
documentation on it to make sure I'm doing things correctly.

I started converting a large CVS repository (~3GB of code when checked
out) to git, but it's just too much for a single git repository to
handle (takes a long time for things like git status, etc.). I'd also
like to split things up since most people only need to work on their
project and not the whole thing. repo seems perfect for this so I
wanted to ask before I went down the wrong path.

Shawn Pearce

Apr 17, 2009, 8:52:40 PM4/17/09
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:47, skillzero <skil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there documentation for the repo manifest file and how to set
things up to use repo outside of Android?

repo help manifest

If you don't have an existing repo client, just clone the repo repository:

  git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/tools/repo.git
  ./repo help manifest

Do the git repositories need
to be set up in any special way to use them effectively with repo?

No.  They are just standard Git repositories, like any other repository.

Or
is repo not recommended for use outside of Android?

Its another solution to git-submodule.  Personally I don't find git-submodule to be very useful.  repo has more features at this point, and can implement both "floating branch" (where the repository tracks a branch and automatically advances) and "pegged revision" models (where the repository is frozen to a specific SHA-1 listed in the manifest).

I started converting a large CVS repository (~3GB of code when checked
out) to git, but it's just too much for a single git repository to
handle (takes a long time for things like git status, etc.). I'd also
like to split things up since most people only need to work on their
project and not the whole thing. repo seems perfect for this so I
wanted to ask before I went down the wrong path.

Its why we built it for Android!  :-)

We have tried really hard to make sure repo is a general solution to this sort of problem, and is not Android specific.  But, if you find rough edges, please report them so we can make it even better.